Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

White Tailed spider

White Tailed spider

Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:34 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White Tailed spider

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
when we moved into our house we saw loads - in the bed coming out of the woodwork etc. We got the house sprayed at very little cost - about $120 or something. We now have a spider free house, actually an insect free house - except for the flies which come in, but they also die. We've had this done in October each year and it is brilliant. Must admit to being not much of a creepie crawlie fan, but you just get used to them really.
This year the company we use had a competition and if your name was drawn you got your money back! And we won!! How good is that
Wow how lucky! I never win squat LOL! That sounds a good way to go, and really very cost-effective.

I'm no fan of creepy-crawlies either. There are zero snakes in NZ, correct?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

valitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
when we moved into our house we saw loads - in the bed coming out of the woodwork etc. We got the house sprayed at very little cost - about $120 or something. We now have a spider free house, actually an insect free house - except for the flies which come in, but they also die. We've had this done in October each year and it is brilliant. Must admit to being not much of a creepie crawlie fan, but you just get used to them really.
This year the company we use had a competition and if your name was drawn you got your money back! And we won!! How good is that
Must be good stuff that insectaside, maybe too good being as the flies die when entering the house months later.

You didnt have an ex-Russian spy come to dinner a few weeks back did you? :scared:

Last edited by valitus; Dec 18th 2006 at 7:00 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:14 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valitus
Must be good stuff that insectaside, maybe too good being as the flies die when entering the house months later.

You didnt have an ex-Russian spy come to dinner a few weeks back did you? :scared:
you need to not clean it off the window sills and the flies die there! You need to hoover the sills daily though! It's carnage
MAz I never normally win anything either! I didnt even know they were having a competition!
Nope not seen any snakes.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You could also try a 'Robocan', a device that you hang on the wall, a bit like the airfreshner gizmos you see in public toilets. It squirts a puff of 'pyrethrum' kiddie and petsafe insecticide in your house every 5 or 7 minutes. We've had one for about a year and had no problems with spiders to date. It doesn't kill everything instantly but it seems to slow down the flies so that you can whack them.

You can get Robocans from Bunnings and some supermarkets, costs about $80 and then $20 ish for refills, that last a good six months or more.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops forgot to say, I also use Mortein Barrier spray around all the external doors and windows, which is a residual insecticide that stay active for about 6 months. It stops the buggers coming in and then Robocop and the cat deals with the rest.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 8:35 am
Just Joined

nzyorkshireman will become famous soon enoughnzyorkshireman will become famous soon enough

There are zero snakes in NZ, correct?

You not seen a used car salesman :scared:
Meet one of out MP's
Had dealings with the highway patrol cops (Tax collectors in blue uniform)
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

We seem to have lots of whitetails here - i'm used to them now!

My dp and toddler have both been bitten (in both cases the spiders had taken up residence in clothes my dp had left on the deck overnight, a habit he's now broken thankfully) but both of them were fine - in fact both of them reacted LESS than they do to sandflies or mozzies.

We still squish them though (well, dp does, i'm too fluffy for any actual squashing, although I DO give them stern looks).
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulflour
We still squish them though (well, dp does, i'm too fluffy for any actual squashing, although I DO give them stern looks).
I squished one last night that was heading down the corridor towards my sons room.... usually I get daddy to do the squishing but he was putting out bush fires somewhere so it was up to me. Ive seen 2 now in this house.... just as I was saying Ive not seen any here.