Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

White Tailed spider

White Tailed spider

Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of
Default White Tailed spider

We've had a couple of the blighters in our bedroom ( ).
What should we do??????!!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White Tailed spider

Originally Posted by Markk
check under the duvet and pillows before you get in!!!

we get quite a few - we just put them out. Evidently, they do not spin webs, choosing to act like flies in other spiders webs and then eat the other spiders - so we were advised to make sure we got rid of webs and other spiders and the whitetails would go to.

if you're really worried you can get your house sprayed, or get some miss muffets revenge and do it yourself.

I think that a lot of the stuff about whitetails is all hype anyway.

night night, sleep tight, don't let the white tails bite!
Vicki
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin

we get quite a few - we just put them out. Evidently, they do not spin webs, choosing to act like flies in other spiders webs and then eat the other spiders - so we were advised to make sure we got rid of webs and other spiders and the whitetails would go to.

if you're really worried you can get your house sprayed, or get some miss muffets revenge and do it yourself.

Vicki
Kill 'em, kill 'em, kill 'em!!!! I am a spider lover, but i identify all spiders FIRST...throw out the harmless ones....BUT KILL WHITE TAILS!!!!! Kate's a nurse and has seen some very nasty injuries from white tails...basically if you are unlucky you can get that necrothingy bug from them which in essence kills your flesh..on the other hand many are bitten so I understand and just react like a really bad gnat bit...anyways...take no chances with white tails and despatch them...there is a LARGE triangular white bit at the rear end of their bodies.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

What the bl***y hell do they look like, I am in Tauranga - what should I be looking for?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Take a peek

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/re...white_tail.asp

Kip
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We had some in our rental house but I havnt seen any in this house yet. My OH would squash them as I dont like killing spiders myself.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Joshlin

Vicki
Hi Vicki,
We've just changed the bed to be sure!
I was just locking the doors 20 minutes ago and felt something on my leg.
I think you probably know what I'm going to say!!!! :scared:
Mark
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genesis
Kill 'em, kill 'em, kill 'em!!!! I am a spider lover, but i identify all spiders FIRST...throw out the harmless ones....BUT KILL WHITE TAILS!!!!! Kate's a nurse and has seen some very nasty injuries from white tails...basically if you are unlucky you can get that necrothingy bug from them which in essence kills your flesh..on the other hand many are bitten so I understand and just react like a really bad gnat bit...anyways...take no chances with white tails and despatch them...there is a LARGE triangular white bit at the rear end of their bodies.

Done!!!!!!!! The count is 3 now.......
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
What the bl***y hell do they look like, I am in Tauranga - what should I be looking for?
Come on over and take a look. They're coming out of the walls!!!!! :scared:
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kippers
That's the one! We haven't seen any in 8 months and now 3 in 24 hours!!!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SarahB
We had some in our rental house but I havnt seen any in this house yet. My OH would squash them as I dont like killing spiders myself.
No, I don't usually but have made an exception with these. Tracey is freaked out.....
Mark
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

If you're worried, it's a simple job to spray inside the house yourself with a fairly safe insecticide.
You just need one of those pump-up garden sprayers and some synthetic pyrethrum type stuff.

Kiwicare make one called 'No Bugs Super Concentrate'

http://www.kiwicare.co.nz/product.as...SubCat=7&ID=87

Mitre10 sell it.

Kip
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:18 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

errrrrrrr, I thought they only resided in Aussie??? I thought everything was harmless in NZ???
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Just how common are these buggers...
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:27 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

when we moved into our house we saw loads - in the bed coming out of the woodwork etc. We got the house sprayed at very little cost - about $120 or something. We now have a spider free house, actually an insect free house - except for the flies which come in, but they also die. We've had this done in October each year and it is brilliant. Must admit to being not much of a creepie crawlie fan, but you just get used to them really.
This year the company we use had a competition and if your name was drawn you got your money back! And we won!! How good is that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.