Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to settle in Auckland?

Where to settle in Auckland?

Old Nov 18th 2006, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default Where to settle in Auckland?

Hey all,

We are heading to Auckland in March 07 to start our new lives and I am just looking at places to rent etc...can anyone give us some recommendations on places to look at for renting and places to avoid and the reasons behind those opinions. We will probably get a Bach for a couple of weeks until we find a place to rent for the long term.

Thank you
Old Nov 18th 2006, 5:46 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to settle in Auckland?

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Hey all,

We are heading to Auckland in March 07 to start our new lives and I am just looking at places to rent etc...can anyone give us some recommendations on places to look at for renting and places to avoid and the reasons behind those opinions. We will probably get a Bach for a couple of weeks until we find a place to rent for the long term.

Thank you
hiya, check out this thread first:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399966
you might ask the regulars who are from that neck of the woods too
Old Nov 18th 2006, 7:44 pm
Not a Junior Member!

Lisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura about

What sort of place are you looking for - we are renting a fab place and our rental finishes in April. We are at the beach at Waiake. PM me if you want any more details.........
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Kaz & Ant will become famous soon enoughKaz & Ant will become famous soon enough

Hey all,

Thank you

Hi this site http://www.allrealestate.co.nz

Were doing the same thing once we sell our house here in Brum. Can't wait to start our new life in New Zealand & get a way from the depressing UK :-(

Love England, Wales, Scotland & Ireland but its getting were getting pushed out.

If you get a few minutes & find a place type the street name including New Zealand on http://maps.google.co.uk/maps wow wee!!!!

Ant & Kaz
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:58 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa T
What sort of place are you looking for - we are renting a fab place and our rental finishes in April. We are at the beach at Waiake. PM me if you want any more details.........
mm...that's the sort of area we are looking at, coming in Jan to find a place for Feb. With two young boys who like the beach!!
Can we join the queue??
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Hey all,

Thank you
It really is hard to say and not that easy...Even if we just mention a suburb and say stay away because someone else will disagree because going a couple of km in another direction can make all the difference.
But basically look at the house prices if you can get a three bedroom house for less than $300k you probably don't want to be going anywhere near it!!!!

Have you been to Auckland before?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jueinnz
It really is hard to say and not that easy...Even if we just mention a suburb and say stay away because someone else will disagree because going a couple of km in another direction can make all the difference.
But basically look at the house prices if you can get a three bedroom house for less than $300k you probably don't want to be going anywhere near it!!!!

Have you been to Auckland before?
Hi, thanks to you all for your thoughts.

No, we have never been to Auckland, it is our line of work that is directing us there as is the case with so many people. We are a young couple who love the outdoors life (we are both triathletes) and so it would be great to be near the beach. We wouldn't want to be in the city centre, we got that out of our systems at Uni. A nice suburb close to the sea would be great and as it is just the 2 of us we would need no more than a 2 bed place at most.

If anyone has any further reccomendations that would be great, either for the temporary bach or a nice area for long term (reasonable ) rental.

Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lisa, that is a really nice thought. If you could let me know the number of bedrooms that would be a start and then I will PM if it sounds like a possibility.

Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

I might be wrong-but I reckon the best place in Auckland to stay is Wellington
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:52 pm
Not a Junior Member!

Lisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Lisa, that is a really nice thought. If you could let me know the number of bedrooms that would be a start and then I will PM if it sounds like a possibility.

Thanks

Morning!

I should imagine our place will be too big for you - it has four bedrooms and another couple of rooms downstairs! - Great for a family and fantastic spot by the beach and within walking to good schools etc. The landlady lives in front of us and she has really looked after the place, she even gave me a booket of information on the property including cleaning tips!!!!

Good luck with your search!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks to you all for your thoughts.

No, we have never been to Auckland, it is our line of work that is directing us there as is the case with so many people. We are a young couple who love the outdoors life (we are both triathletes) and so it would be great to be near the beach. We wouldn't want to be in the city centre, we got that out of our systems at Uni. A nice suburb close to the sea would be great and as it is just the 2 of us we would need no more than a 2 bed place at most.

If anyone has any further reccomendations that would be great, either for the temporary bach or a nice area for long term (reasonable ) rental.

Thanks
Its ok out here where we live. My OH works in Penrose but we live in Beachlands.... the commute to work can be a bit bad but he loves living out here and has stopped moaning about it now! Its a large seaside village.... small parade of shops.... a few beaches (all quiet).... we find the people friendly enough. The village is surrounded by green fields and we manage to keep a horse at grass livery a few miles away too. Its a nice little place for bringing up families too... and plenty of expats to talk to if you so wish. It depends on where your work will be, as to where you want to live as Auckland traffic can be pretty bad in places.... thats an understatement... lol We found Beachlands by accident but I fell in love with the place the first time I visited.... just depends what you like.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

trigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nice

Originally Posted by SarahB
Its ok out here where we live. My OH works in Penrose but we live in Beachlands.... the commute to work can be a bit bad but he loves living out here and has stopped moaning about it now! Its a large seaside village.... small parade of shops.... a few beaches (all quiet).... we find the people friendly enough. The village is surrounded by green fields and we manage to keep a horse at grass livery a few miles away too. Its a nice little place for bringing up families too... and plenty of expats to talk to if you so wish. It depends on where your work will be, as to where you want to live as Auckland traffic can be pretty bad in places.... thats an understatement... lol We found Beachlands by accident but I fell in love with the place the first time I visited.... just depends what you like.
DiffordA is my O/H just in case you didnt know. I like the sound of Beachlands, but I think like you say that traffic is to be very carefully considered. Although Amy will probably like the idea of somewhere with space so that we could get her a horse!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Holiday homes (Bachs?) For short term like 1/2 weeks while we house hunt, rental only?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

trigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nice

Morning!

I should imagine our place will be too big for you - it has four bedrooms and another couple of rooms downstairs! - Great for a family and fantastic spot by the beach and within walking to good schools etc. The landlady lives in front of us and she has really looked after the place, she even gave me a booket of information on the property including cleaning tips!!!!

Good luck with your search!
Just a thought does your landlady have any properties that might be ideal for us, size wise?