Reload this Page >

Where next? - UK Citizen/NZ perm res living in New Zealand

Where next? - UK Citizen/NZ perm res living in New Zealand

Old Mar 27th 2023, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Bermondsey George is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Where next? - UK Citizen/NZ perm res living in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Mishclark
Coming in as am Australian who is in NZ, I was stuck in Australia for a couple of years with the borders shut during covid, there's a massive rental crisis, housing and mortgage costs growing, food expensive as well. Same problems, different country. The wages are more so that may help but for me I'm a single income earner in healthcare, I'm skint in both countries so may as well enjoy NZ where I prefer.
I do have more chance buying a house again in NZ as there is no stamp duty. That was a killer in Oz.

even as an Aussie I can't stand the heat. Much prefer the weather in Canterbury.
Good luck with whatever you do, many people have made the jump to Oz and loved it.
At last, the voice of reason and a balanced view ....
The way the author of this thread was going on, you would think that they live in Afghanistan.
I thought about OZ but we still love it here in Canterbury so decided to stay put.
We have a great life here ............. despite living in a shack surrounded by criminals

Last edited by Bermondsey George; Mar 27th 2023 at 9:15 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2023, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where next? - UK Citizen/NZ perm res living in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Bermondsey George
At last, the voice of reason and a balanced view ....
The way the author of this thread was going on, you would think that they live in Afghanistan.
I thought about OZ but we still love it here in Canterbury so decided to stay put.
We have a great life here ............. despite living in a shack surrounded by criminals
Thank you 😊

I love Canterbury, now post covid I can visit kids in Oz all I want. Except it's cold today 😱
Old Mar 28th 2023, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
$1.2 million?
Now that is a motor home I must see! .....
Try here for used motor homes over USD1.7 million and new ones starting at USD2.3 million.

I assume the market for such vehicles is primarily professional touring musicians or racing drivers.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Try here for used motor homes over USD1.7 million and new ones starting at USD2.3 million.

I assume the market for such vehicles is primarily professional touring musicians or racing drivers.
Interiors look like a tarts boudoir
Old Mar 29th 2023, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

springbeeagain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
Fairly pointless thread as you don't want suggestions, sounds like you just want to vent because you can't afford a house
it's obvious NZ isn't for you and from your rants I honestly can't think of anywhere that would be. You've said a lot about what you don't like but nothing about what you actually want.
​​​​
​​​​
I agree Pulaski was also doing God's work with educating but got shut down pretty quickly. Although Pulaski when I was in BC the property was bought by wealthy East Canadians and Iranians, Russians, Americans, it was a lot of different demand including from Chinese who seemed to congregate in one main place anyway.

OP - you mentioned you hated working with the Aussies as well, and seem oblivious to the fact that cost of living and housing is exorbitant in every Western country. Maybe go back to the UK - plenty to complain about there but at least it's your hometown.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mishclark
many people have made the jump to Oz and loved it.
He said he hated working with Aussies too so somehow I'm not sure that will solve it for him.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Note the very recent announcements about asbestos in pre-2000 housing stock.

Asbestos in housing stock

Building Control has been lax to criminal.
Chickens are coming home to roost with the number of red and yellow stickered houses in the Auckland area.
I wonder is someone has joined up the dots about all the bits of trashed houses being swept into the waterways which are full of asbestos?
Yeah/nah - she'll be right!
Agree housing standards are very poor.
And I didn't know re: asbestos - is that a new revelation?
Old Mar 29th 2023, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jarv5116
A Ponzi scheme is we’re the guy doing the scheme sells the tickets or investments and doesn’t actually have the prize or capital and then sells more tickets or investments to cover the original and so it goes on and on
Exactly. I don't think he's open to facts though.
And what's with blaming Australian banks for other factors - lack of CGT, poor investment choices rendering property the best one, stimulus, prior abolition of interest deductability rules and Brightline

OP - Maybe don't read dumb Facebook memes that misinform you - you'll learn facts and be happier that way, I really think that.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Those motorhome classifed above all expired - guess they all got sold. I was also surprised how expensive those things are.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 8:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springbeeagain
.... OP - Maybe don't read dumb Facebook memes that misinform you - you'll learn facts and be happier that way, I really think that.
One of the problems of our time is conspiracy theories and people believing them. The people that believe them are invariably immune to reason, and they simultaneously rubbish well established facts while clinging to their baseless conspiracy theories which are built on half-truths, lies, and BS, often promulgated by people manipulating the gullible for political reasons.

And it is just about impossible to disprove a conspiracy theory because, being built on half-truths and lies, there is nothing rigid underneath that can be disproved. I find it bizarre, to say the least, that convoluted conspiracy theories take hold when there are simple, plausible explanations. .... To wit, "the media" are not in on some intricate global plot to deceive and manipulate everyone, they are just lazy and incompetent.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 29th 2023 at 8:35 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2023, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Agree completely but you will just be called a WWEF or whatever illumanti "sheep." Impossible to reason as imo all these things are powered by innate feelings of powerlessness, despair and fear, so hard to reason with their chosen trojan horse.
Old May 26th 2023, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springbeeagain
He said he hated working with Aussies too so somehow I'm not sure that will solve it for him.
I missed this comment 🤣 I'm sure they'll be devastated over there 😁
Old Jun 17th 2023, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by readitallthanks
Hi, have lived in UK & New Zealand both ways last 12 years.
I feel like my association with New Zealand has come to an end. Its incredibly expensive for what you get - food, housing etc, nearly everything is in a crisis (housing, health etc).
Food is just insane prices because the supermarkets are a cartel.

Housing stock is abysmal for what you have to pay - its a ponzi - the houses are shacks.
The ponzi has been run by australian banks fleecing New Zealand - the whole of New Zealand is one big property magazine.
Living in Auckland, it hasn't stopped raining all summer - the weather here has definitely changed in only a decade.
Auckland is touted as a world class city - it isn't. They can't even run buses & trains. The roads are clogged every day making living slightly out a nightmare.
Work here is appalling - kiwis love living in a crisis with a "she'll be right" attitude - which makes work misery.
The shelves at supermarkets have been bare on some sections (salad, eggs) for 6+ weeks now. Unless you go at 7am you don't get much choice.
There has been a one way exit for Australia since I have been here - I get why.

Everything is just a little odd here, stuff you go to see is simply underwhelming.
There is little to no quality here. If it is you are paying megabux - stuff only millionaires can afford.
Its a shame. There is only 4.8 million people in New Zealand - it could be a great place but there are so many problems for a small place - any Kiwi will tell you its great - because they don't know any better and will always do whataboutery - they cannot hack any criticism of New Zealand - as long as they have their beer (piss) and their fishing boat - they think its paradise - it's not.

Its a very hard place to get on - I do not know how people on average salaries and essential workers live - it must be very very hard going.
New Zealand is always one step away from disaster - the main cities are all in line for some natural disaster one way or the other - they are woefully unprepared. Recent rain/cyclone events have shown how lacking in zoning/planning, preparation and response they are.

So where next? Back to UK or try Australia?
For all UK's faults at present its seems more appealing than New Zealand right now but given I am not overly keen on returning to UK I would like to try somewhere else.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Lovely place and scenery but I've seen more culture on a yoghurt lid, better long term prospects at a San Fran tent city. The future looks bleak for law abiding folks who want to be left alone.
Personally I'd be looking to Poland, Hungary, Serbia, Croatia, Estonia or Latvia. Gulf states, Pakistan or India, but probably too hot/humid. If it had to be UK, Northumberland or Scots Borders.

The next 5 years might see us selling our over priced Chch shed and holiday mountain shed to somebody at the bottom of the scheme, for a mil and 3/4. Plenty of newcomers flocking this way, pumping up the prices, roll up, roll up, have I got a bargain for you!

Old Jun 17th 2023, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I think it deffo is a case of taking the nz rough with the smooth and if the rough is too much then move on. I personally wouldn't be tempted with any of your other options though (although that mega rural Scottish lighthouse grand designs has always stayed in my mind, long as it has a local). I get the feeling everywhere is in a shitty spot right now. But there is culture, its talking about rugby 24/7! National dish is a pie ha
Old Jun 18th 2023, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
I think it deffo is a case of taking the nz rough with the smooth and if the rough is too much then move on. I personally wouldn't be tempted with any of your other options though (although that mega rural Scottish lighthouse grand designs has always stayed in my mind, long as it has a local). I get the feeling everywhere is in a shitty spot right now. But there is culture, its talking about rugby 24/7! National dish is a pie ha
You are probably right there, no country is really perfect these days as the same problems eventually reach other places with globalization. I've been in Ireland nearly 12 years now and the population is increasing too much for my liking. I suppose the older I get the more things annoy me, be it the aggressive driving, knackers, littering etc. then I realise it's even worse elsewhere. All I can really do is move out to a more remote location which will give me another few years of peace until development reaches that area. I have explored some smaller lake areas recently that are less known, but prices are on the up and hardly anything available. Apart from prices, NZ is probably not worse and you just realise this is the world we live in now. Of course for Europeans who can get a million for their home in NZ and want to be closer to home it's a good time to sell. Just don't come for culture as you might be upset😉.