Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Auckland

Where to live in Auckland

Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

barney1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Auckland

HI there, im a 28 year old Operating Department Practitioner moving out to Auckland on my own in febuary. Was just wondering if there's anywhere good to meet up with people once im out there. Also i wont have long to find somewhere to live once im out there and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good part of the city. Obviously im on my own so wouldn't mind being somewhere where theres a bit happening i.e. dont want to be out in the sticks lol. on the same idea if anyones got a spare room to rent come febuary would love to hear from you

Cheers
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to live in Auckland

Originally Posted by barney1
HI there, im a 28 year old Operating Department Practitioner moving out to Auckland on my own in febuary. Was just wondering if there's anywhere good to meet up with people once im out there. Also i wont have long to find somewhere to live once im out there and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good part of the city. Obviously im on my own so wouldn't mind being somewhere where theres a bit happening i.e. dont want to be out in the sticks lol. on the same idea if anyones got a spare room to rent come febuary would love to hear from you

Cheers
Where will you be working, auckland is quite a sprawling city. alson depends what your budget is.

look on trademe.co.nz for flatshare or rental opportunities

I like the suburbs around ponsonby, grey lynn, maybe parnell or Mt eden if you are wanting to be relatively close to the city centre. but if youare working on the north shoe then living on the north shore would make more sense
Old Dec 7th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice

devonport, do a search and you'll find it.

http://www.devonport.co.nz/

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 10th 2008 at 7:40 pm. Reason: merge similar posts
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:05 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Auckland

Devonport's lovely but is it still focused on families? It isn't in the most convenient of locations for someone wanting a bit of fun/excitement. Although the cafe atmosphere is nice.

If renting, or renting with people you can reduce your rent (obviously). Mt Eden, Eden Terrace, Parnell, Ponsonby and the Bays are nice/funky/convenient. Ok, I find parnell a bit tryhardish but it is nice. And perhaps areas such as Freemans Bay aren't really funky so much as frightfully expensive, but they are certainly nice. Don't go to Clooney (Restaurant) though if you are ever looking for a fancy pants place- horrid. When it first opened they had a great chef. Now....well...just don't. If you want to watch a tv 'star' snorting stuff which resembles baking powder up their snout you will see it in this area. It is actually a very nice area though.

Check out www.trademe.co.nz and go to the flatmates wanted section. Even if you want to live on your own, flatmates wanted gives you an idea about the kinds of places available in each area - and probably give a much clearer indication as to the types of people in what area/house (eg, professionals, students, families, creatives, pot smoking stoners etc)

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Dec 7th 2008 at 11:08 pm.