Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How did you gain employment?

How did you gain employment?

Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:20 am
Just Joined

joandmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How did you gain employment?

A chicken and egg situation has arisen. My OH is a Kiwi and we are now looking to relocate to NZ sooner rather than late 2010 when we had originally planned, due in part to the dreadful state of the UK and also to be nearer his parents. However, when applying for jobs he is constantly told he has to physically be in NZ before anyone will see him - even though he is a Kiwi, holds a passport and is a citizen.

My question is - has anyone else had a similar experience and if so, how did they deal with it? Does anyone have a solution as we cannot afford for him to up and leave to look for jobs that may not materialise.

Thanks

Jo
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:13 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you gain employment?

My husband is a nurse so we looked through the District Health Board websites and had no problems- but then as a MHN it appears he is in demand worldwide

I have heard of a few people in this problem- it might help if his CV clearly states a date he is returning to NZ etc.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Laloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joandmike
A chicken and egg situation has arisen. My OH is a Kiwi and we are now looking to relocate to NZ sooner rather than late 2010 when we had originally planned, due in part to the dreadful state of the UK and also to be nearer his parents. However, when applying for jobs he is constantly told he has to physically be in NZ before anyone will see him - even though he is a Kiwi, holds a passport and is a citizen.

My question is - has anyone else had a similar experience and if so, how did they deal with it? Does anyone have a solution as we cannot afford for him to up and leave to look for jobs that may not materialise.

Thanks

Jo
Hi

I'm an Accountant and will probably start approaching agencies once I receive my ita. What is your OH's profession?

Is there anyone out there who can give advice to an Accountant looking for a job in NZ?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:12 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if they are still running, but I got my first interviews in the UK via New Zealand Employment 'fair' in Earls Court. Second interview was via video link and third one - bizarely on the mobile phone whilst at a camping site in Bognor Regis....still I got the job 24 hours later

A lot of bigger employers will be flexible but it does depend on your skills being in demand. Like the others posted it would help to know in which area you are looking....if its IT or telecom I know of one company thats planning to recruit from overseas next year....mine!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:59 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to bear in mind that there are people here being made redundant at the minute, so any jobs going would probably go to locals if suitably qualified.
Who you know means a lot at the mo in the job seeking world.
Are you going to a place where he knows people, if so, get his old mates to have a look around and a word with employers.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Laloo
Hi

I'm an Accountant and will probably start approaching agencies once I receive my ita. What is your OH's profession?

Is there anyone out there who can give advice to an Accountant looking for a job in NZ?
I am a chartered accountant. You really need to be here for interviews. You will be advantaged in that you won't already have a job and so will be able to start immediately.

I have found that to attract anyone good is hard, there seems to be a shortage. Now, to that end, I wonder where you will be moving to and when as I have an opening in Wellington. We are restructuring the role and will then be able to get rid of the guy who is there. He is terrible.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:16 am
Banned

Scouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really nice

I'm recruiting software developers now, but I won't consider anyone who's not actually here for the simple reason that they may never turn up. In the case of your OH, as he's a Kiwi, there's a bit less uncertainty but really, he needs to physically be here first. Sorry.

Depending what his profession is, it might not be too difficult to get work, subject to the usual caveats about flexibility etc. But, as has been said already, remember that there's a recession here too, so limited vacancies and plenty of local (i.e. in Auckland) candidates.

Good luck though!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Laloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
I am a chartered accountant. You really need to be here for interviews. You will be advantaged in that you won't already have a job and so will be able to start immediately.

I have found that to attract anyone good is hard, there seems to be a shortage. Now, to that end, I wonder where you will be moving to and when as I have an opening in Wellington. We are restructuring the role and will then be able to get rid of the guy who is there. He is terrible.
My OH has family in Auckland so we'll probably be looking to move there.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:04 am
Just Joined

joandmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Jo
He is a site manager in the construction industry which does not bode well anywhere in the world!!

Thanks for all the comments. Still not sure what to do but might have to take the plunge and send him home first - don't think my 7 year old is going to appreciate it! Also might investigate the NZ expos - are they any good?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:45 pm
Banned

gedsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Jo
When i first started thinking about n.z. i sent my c.v. to an employment agency in Christchurch they replied immediately and told me to bring 6 of my mates aswell,as they could get them all started. I don't know what you do for a living but if it's a skill i would'nt be too concerned about finding a job. My mate's in Christcurch now and he had the choice of 3 jobs. He's a Sheetmetalworker same as me. Gedsy
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:12 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

I have employed lots of people from the UK and I would never employ someone without either me seeing them or them coming over for an interview. No matter whether they were Kiwi or not.

The only situation that would differ is if the guy/woman had referees from here who I could speak to or we knew then and they were returning.

Sorry but that is the way!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

We are in the same situation moving from NZ to Oz - noone willing to commit until you live there, even if you give a date of moving. As someone said you may never get there, especially the way the economy is now. Be aware that NZ is experiencing the credit crunch right now too and a lot of people are being laid off. I would say defiinitely send him over first to test the water.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:58 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me the best IT job websites to look at for jobs there?

Thanks
Vivienne
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:02 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

He is a site manager in the construction industry which does not bode well anywhere in the world!!

Thanks for all the comments. Still not sure what to do but might have to take the plunge and send him home first - don't think my 7 year old is going to appreciate it! Also might investigate the NZ expos - are they any good?

My DH is a Site Manager too. We are shifting to ChCh because the work in Marlborough is drying up at the mo. A friend who recruits for BBT says that he is advising people if they have a position to stay put at the mo

having said all that, the big companies are all picking up work still and there is going to be investment in infrastucturethroughout the country, so as expensive as it is, a reccie back to NZ may pay off

Best of luck
Old Dec 7th 2008, 6:19 am
Banned

Scouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by viviennef
Can anyone tell me the best IT job websites to look at for jobs there?

Thanks
Vivienne
Have a look at http://www.seek.co.nz. There's also a few advertised on TradeMe (http://www.trademe.co.nz)

Just be aware that, in contrast to the UK, most companies welcome a direct approach, so you will get some responses if you simply mail your CV directly to either the CIO or the HR Department.

On the other hand, if it's MS .Net Development work you're after, you could just PM me....!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.