Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where has English Grammar gone?

Where has English Grammar gone?

Old May 24th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where has English Grammar gone?

Originally Posted by theduke

I find it funny that Americans spell some words as they sound and even snear
The danger of making a stand on grammar is that you absolutely have to make sure that every word is spelt correctly. Like the word SNEER for instance
Old May 24th 2010, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
The danger of making a stand on grammar is that you absolutely have to make sure that every word is spelt correctly. Like the word SNEER for instance

You beat me to it and I'm not sure what to make of the following 'sentence'.

How lazy have we all become, I sit at night and do my sons/daughters spelling and make them spell every word they get wrong twice may 3 times, but my daughter especially will go straight after and text her friend and do all this text speak, what are we getting ready to be the captains of our industry and to run our world??

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; May 24th 2010 at 9:47 am.
Old May 24th 2010, 10:03 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

please get real!

times channge and so dos the language and the weigh we speak and spel it as well.

Who gives a toss as to how a word is spelled or if it is correct in its placement.

As long as we undestand it so what. The days of proper gramer are well gone and no wondr with the vast ethnic mixes we have now a days!

so please get a grip the cavemen moved on from ughh and uhhhs and we will continue to adapt and change. didnt stop you understanding this crap post now did it!
Old May 24th 2010, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

It took me a log time to accept that people just spell differently.
I hate the Americanisation of spelling but it's microsoft make it easy for people to change it and the internet floods us with it.

At uni, we can only write in NZ English and that makes me much more comfortable. Still we have to refer to the World Health Organization because that's the official name.

My husband thinks I'm anal, and he's right. I need to let it go and realise that language changes over time and as long as it is fit for purpose who cares?

I was listening to a linguist on National Radio a few weeks back who suggested that language will continue to simplify before the pendulum swings back again as complex meaning is lost.
Old May 24th 2010, 1:37 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Not too many english speaking left in England now.......
Old May 24th 2010, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

I hate it when people spell incorrectly and have even been known to correct signs in bars when drunk.
I'm a primary school teacher and the rumour around school is that 'you have to speak posh when you are in Miss Rileys class.' Makes me smile all the time!
Old May 25th 2010, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zoexr
Miss Riley's class.' Makes me smile all the time!
We all make mistakes though - pays not to be too pedantic...he who is without sin etc
Old May 25th 2010, 5:19 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Not too many english speaking left in England now.......
How's it going in Wales Storms?
Old May 25th 2010, 12:57 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy both the simplicity of contemporary English along with the beautiful complex forms and precise wording of traditional English. The written English that was still used in schools just 50 years ago appears as archaic now as the books written now do to children filled with quirks of the language yet to be ironed out. Well used language always has something old, something new, something borrowed and something original about it all at once.
Old May 25th 2010, 6:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theduke
It used to just be kids spelling things in text speak but sadly now I find myself doing it and reading through most threads here we are all at it.

I am going to make a stance and not do text speak on any future posts and I urge everyone on here to do the same.

I find it funny that Americans spell some words as they sound and even snear SNEER at them for it i.e. color and putting a z in lieu of an s in words like organisation etc.

How lazy have we all become, I sit at night and do my sons/daughters spelling and make them spell every word they get wrong twice may 3 times, but my daughter especially will go straight after and text her friend and do all this text speak, what are we getting ready to be the captains of our industry and to run our world??
There sort out your spelling at least, and yes your original word was detected as wrong by the BE spell checker..
Old May 25th 2010, 6:03 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Sorry, didn't see this post before I made mine..
Old May 25th 2010, 10:21 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Now I could really put the cat among the pigeons - I say loads of Doric words and my DH thinks my mum made them up!
I haven't a clue how to spell most of them yet I use them almost daily.

I do have a pet grammar hate though.

their, they're, there ~ argh
and "I done..."

Then again I admit to being a terrible speller and am too lazy to use spell check
Old May 26th 2010, 8:47 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Now I could really put the cat among the pigeons - I say loads of Doric words and my DH thinks my mum made them up!
I haven't a clue how to spell most of them yet I use them almost daily.

I do have a pet grammar hate though.

their, they're, there ~ argh
and "I done..."

Then again I admit to being a terrible speller and am too lazy to use spell check
But you don't knead a spell cheque, if you spell a word wrong, it will appear in red so you no you've maid an error. I used a spell check on this, and as you can sea, it's perfectly correct.
Old May 26th 2010, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

custard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant future

We was brunged up to speek proper in the North
Old May 26th 2010, 9:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Wasn't the thread about grammar ? Not about spelling?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.