Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where does the year to enter NZ start from?

Where does the year to enter NZ start from?

Old Jan 19th 2024, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Taniwha818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where does the year to enter NZ start from?

My partner was 'provisionally' granted his resident visa (as my partner, I am a Kiwi/Brit) yesterday. We know once his visa is granted, we have a year to enter NZ. We have not sent his passport to London to be verified yet (we were waiting till he was approved before doing that and we will combine with a little holiday). We're also in no massive rush to enter NZ because we have to sell our house here in the UK first. So we're trying to buy ourselves a little more time if we can. We have been given a date in July where we have to send his passport to London for verification.

So, has his year countdown already started from yesterday when we received the 'provisionally granted a resident visa' email or does it actually start from when the visa is added to his passport?

Also, we submitted our application on June 20th for the partnership visa so it took almost 7 months to the day.
Old Jan 21st 2024, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where does the year to enter NZ start from?

For our Resident visas the start date was the date of the granting of the visa, as shown in the email.
Our also had a specific note of when we had to be in NZ to activate the visas.
I assume this isn't included in your notification of the provisional grant?
Old Jan 23rd 2024, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Taniwha818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where does the year to enter NZ start from?

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
For our Resident visas the start date was the date of the granting of the visa, as shown in the email.
Our also had a specific note of when we had to be in NZ to activate the visas.
I assume this isn't included in your notification of the provisional grant?
Thanks for answering Our email just says the visa is 'provisionally granted' and there's no dates. We have dates (July) to get the passport verified because we haven't done that step yet. They did tell us last year we had to do that but they told us we could wait till after the visa was provisionally granted if we wanted.

I am thinking that the year will probably start ticking once the visa is properly granted. We will email our case officer and double check, I just thought I'd ask here first. We're just trying to buy some extra time if we can, since we need to sell our house.