Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do the Brits like to live in Auckland?

Where do the Brits like to live in Auckland?

Old Oct 25th 2023, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

LittleMsMummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do the Brits like to live in Auckland?

We are a young family with 2 kids (2 and 5yo) planning to move to Auckland for good and wondering which areas do the Brits generally live in?
Obviouslly we would like to look for good location for ease of commute and schools, buy also like to meet up with other fellow Brits. Any info would be appreciated.
Old Oct 25th 2023, 11:37 pm
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where do the Brits like to live in Auckland?

Can I ask why you have chosen Auckland?
I can't comment on the areas where the expats live but by all accounts ease of commute and Auckland don't go together.
Old Oct 26th 2023, 8:14 am
Just Joined

LittleMsMummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjg
Can I ask why you have chosen Auckland?
I can't comment on the areas where the expats live but by all accounts ease of commute and Auckland don't go together.
We're moving back for our senile parents who live in East Auckland. We want the kids to spend some quality time with their grandparents being in the same city rather than just seeing the face over video chats.
Old Oct 26th 2023, 9:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This is not making sense
Old Oct 27th 2023, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

There is no shortage of Brits in every suburb of Auckland, if you have parents here I would have thought that you would already be quite familiar with the best and worst of Auckland areas. If your family is in East Auckland and relying on you for care or support then it seems a no brainer. Most people make a choice based on affordability and where the work is, or based on schools as living in the right zone has a lot of bearing on which schools your kids can go to. You can choose out of zone schools but wait lists can be long for the better ones (not that I know much about schools but none are particularly bad that I am aware of). House prices vary hugely from one suburb to the next and can swing quite a bit depending a lot on whether in 'the' local school zone, or if you want modern big flash house, old villa, big garden or something by the sea etc.
Old Oct 30th 2023, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
This is not making sense
Is this just a subtle way of asking where all the white people hang out?
Old Oct 30th 2023, 11:56 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleMsMummy
We are a young family with 2 kids (2 and 5yo) planning to move to Auckland for good and wondering which areas do the Brits generally live in?
Obviouslly we would like to look for good location for ease of commute and schools, buy also like to meet up with other fellow Brits. Any info would be appreciated.
I lived in a house, just like most Brit’s and kiwis. It was out west in Titirangi, traffic was terrible, Devenport was nice as well, but traffic over the bridge was bad as well. Unless you have an unlimited budget you choice will likely be limited by what you can afford..
Old Oct 31st 2023, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
It would be somewhat wrong to assume that all the Brits in NZ are white.
Old Oct 31st 2023, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

what gives you that idea ??

The scenario seems a little odd, but is it any different to the dozens of other "wheres a good place to live" posts

​​​
Old Oct 31st 2023, 10:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yes
Old Oct 31st 2023, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes
In keeping with the current trends, I have been identifying as an afro Caribbean woman for several weeks now. It's really been quite an eye opener
Old Oct 31st 2023, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect that, but I would expect the majority of Brits moving to NZ are of white ethnicity.
Could have changed over the last 10 years or so.
Nothing wrong with that, I was just wondering.
Edit: I think people try and move to somewhere where they feel they will fit in, which can explain why different ethnic groups tend to cluster together. NZ has up until recently been mainly white for those from Europe.
Now making me wonder.
Being from Europe I am used to seeing ethnic diversity so I don't usually take much notice.
Noting of course that ethnicity doesn't say where you are from.
Just "white European" seems to be an ethnic grouping I have seen in online sign up forms for NZ.

Last edited by LittleGreyCat; Oct 31st 2023 at 11:53 am.
Old Oct 31st 2023, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't expect that, but I would expect the majority of Brits moving to NZ are of white ethnicity.
Could have changed over the last 10 years or so.
Nothing wrong with that, I was just wondering.
Edit: I think people try and move to somewhere where they feel they will fit in, which can explain why different ethnic groups tend to cluster together. NZ has up until recently been mainly white for those from Europe.
Now making me wonder.
Being from Europe I am used to seeing ethnic diversity so I don't usually take much notice.
Noting of course that ethnicity doesn't say where you are from.
Just "white European" seems to be an ethnic grouping I have seen in online sign up forms for NZ.
Not sure it has white anything.
New Zealand European, Māori, Samoan, Cook Islands Māori, Tongan, Niuean, Chinese, Indian and other, are usually the choices.
you can be more specific under other if it's important to you.
Old Oct 31st 2023, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

cyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, really, think that says more about you than the OP. What a way to put a newbie off from posting. You know when we were doing our research on coming here 19 yrs ago, there was this forum (don't think it had it's own NZ forum back then) and another very active Brits to NZ forum, think Bevs was on it too. Questions like "where to live" and "are there any other Brits in this area" were asked all the time and were answered without people assuming they were talking about white people only. It's nice to hear a familiar accent sometimes when you're new and to find out what they liked or disliked about the place.
Old Oct 31st 2023, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

cyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond reputecyndi2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Not sure it has white anything.
New Zealand European, Māori, Samoan, Cook Islands Māori, Tongan, Niuean, Chinese, Indian and other, are usually the choices.
you can be more specific under other if it's important to you.
My husband always put himself in the other category as he was American

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.