Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's with the "wh"?

What's with the "wh"?

Old Apr 10th 2012, 8:57 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Good job this is an internet forum eh ? Almost guaranteed fact free. BTW when you said Reo did you mean Te Reo ?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people say reo
Or the reo

were you making a valid point?
Or nit-picking?

For anyone who works for Waitemata DHB, BTW, Papaarangi Reid is speaking at the Maori Grand Round on Monday lunchtime.
Looks like a good one (the last one was excellent)
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:42 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Sad, but not surprised that this thread has gone racist.One doesn't even have to scratch the surface for it to appear

As for the Wh...
Yep, does take some getting used to when your first arrive. Just do your best with it I'd say.
I make it with the F sound and it seems passable to most people.
I still pronounce Whanganui as a W though - apparently down in that district, WH is more of a W than an F...although that probably confuses you more
+1. Noticeably worse than the Canada forum, I don't get it???? It's really obnoxious. Makes me sad to know this is the kind of person emigrating to NZ.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:49 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
You two are so set on being PC you cant even see that the people you think you are championing are laughing at you.
I only showed my friend your comments she was the one pissing her sides at your silly attitudes.
The great thing about kiwis be they white or Maori is they call a spade a spade,they dont suck up and they dont kiss ass,what a shame a lot of the migrants who arrive think this is wrong and try to bring all the bullshit PC crap we all tried to leave
behind when we left the uk with them.
The ridiculous PC attitude of the meek who are to afraid to say what they really think (unlike most kiwis) will ruin this countryI have plenty of Maori friends, some university educated professionals, some kids and young people from less advantaged backgrounds
it makes no difference to me, a friend is a friend
they don't give a crap that I'm not interested in their heritage or culture and I wouldn't insult them by pretending I am

Bellasmum, you have a habit of popping up in threads and chipping in with nothing more than what you think are smart arse
comments, make a contribution love, anything would be better than snipping from the sidelines for once
What i find so interesting about this comment is that it never seems to occur to you that this is what some of us REALLY think..I'm a kiwi and I call a spade a spade..I think you are being racist..yet I bet you'll assume I'm being "PC" *rolleyes*.... you appear to assume that the only people who say what they really think are people that agree with you.

What's wrong with what Bellasmum said? She's trying to present another point of view. Belittling her by saying she's 'sniping from the sidelines' just goes to show how weak your argument really is.

FYI, having ONE maori friend who agrees with you means nothing. That's anecdotal evidence. I bet I could find plenty who do. So what?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:19 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

bla bla bla bla
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

My boss hates being a Maori for the exact reasons discussed in this thread, her views towards Maori's that expect everything and give nothing back (her words not mine) would make you PC lot cry. She's 6 foot 6 and looks like a Maori Warrior, she refers to herself as a potato, brown on the outside, white on the inside.

Can't wait to call her a racist in the morning, one question. Will I get ACC when she beats the shit out of me?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:42 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:57 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
My boss hates being a Maori for the exact reasons discussed in this thread, her views towards Maori's that expect everything and give nothing back (her words not mine) would make you PC lot cry. She's 6 foot 6 and looks like a Maori Warrior, she refers to herself as a potato, brown on the outside, white on the inside.

Can't wait to call her a racist in the morning, one question. Will I get ACC when she beats the shit out of me?
This isnt a race thing. I ve know lazy good for nothings all my life. Ignorant people are everywhere. I know how your boss feels, I have the same feelings about alot of my race.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:59 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Think its supposed to sound like this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KK76cvClD7c
Watched that episode tonight lol
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
This isnt a race thing. I ve know lazy good for nothings all my life. Ignorant people are everywhere. I know how your boss feels, I have the same feelings about alot of my race.
I agree, skin colour and race doesn't matter one bit. So that's why I'm struggling with why it does when it comes to free stuff like University places.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

It's about the rights of indigenous people.
Maori are recognised as indigenous to New Zealand and as such are afforded recognition according to that.

Unfair access to university is anecdotal
People do not get easier passes once there, however there are assisted places like the MAPAS scheme for doctors.
It recognises that Maoru kids are more likely to have an inferior education due to a raft of issues including institutional racism, and also unequal access to the resources.

Assisted places help to address the balance.
Many people receive assistance to attend uni...not just maori
Many receive student allowances to support them.

Sometime it can be handy to think on the flip side, how we are privileged

unpacking the invisible knapsack
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
there is whenever I overhear them talk !! what the f**k ... etc etc
Nothing wrong with swearing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:17 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
.......Unfair access to university is anecdotal
People do not get easier passes once there, however there are assisted places like the MAPAS scheme for doctors......unpacking the invisible knapsack
erm, we seem to have direct evidence from personal experience of regrading of work based on ethnicity (see above) so how can you say this?

I find it ironic that in order to make these types of alterations and provide positive discrimination (or other forms of social engineering that have been undertaken by certain groups and political parties, and yes I am a Labour voter and can see what Clarke's crowd did in those areas...) then some form of discrimination and identification of group has to be made, that is some form of -ism is it not???

There are far more significant disadvantages in eduction that "unfairly" occur, take dyslexia, dyspraxia, ASD, ADHD, and you could add "maleness" - yes being a male in most schools (particularly in primary and ECE) means that you have to think in a manner that you are not wired to do in order to acheive what girls do and this is borne out by how many countries approach the education of boys and by most modern research in the area - MrsL works for MoE in the field of developmental disorders and this issue winds her up no end.... schools operate in a manner designed for girls to acheive, which must by the "positive discrimination" argument be unfair.

So contrary to what Ms McIntosh is saying in her 1988 study, then perhaps we should be giving more places in University to boys who are disadvantaged by the eduction system in NZ??

Why don't kids with these conditions get more support or greater (easier) access to higher education?

In fact why not ban Korean, Japanese and Chinese kids from Uni as their parents gave them an unfair advantage by beating them if they didn't get 100% at everything..........clearly unfair. /removes tongue from cheek/ - yes this was a JOKE - irony, to let us see how far we could go along the path....

Anyway, how racist is "Positive discrimination" and how racist do you have to be in order to oppose it?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

My family tree goes back to the 12th century, whoop de do, doesnt make me any more special than anyone else
Get down of your high horse and wind your neck in
Doesn't everybodies family tree go back to the 12th century and beyond?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:31 pm

friends of ours have 2 children, their great-great grandmother was maori. The kids are therefore 1/32 maori and qualify for free university education. The kids currently enjoy private education thanks to generous scottish granny. Question - should these children get free university education based on their maori lineage??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.