Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's with the "wh"?

What's with the "wh"?

Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:09 am
  #1  
We're HERE!!!
Thread Starter
 
Kija's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: New Zealand!
Posts: 873
Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's with the "wh"?

Why are words spelt with "wh" pronounced "f" here, we found it a bit strange?
Kija is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 1:33 am
  #2  
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 472
waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Hi Kija,
The 'wh' is officially a different sound to an 'f'. Don't ask me what it is, because I can't tell the difference and I think only fluent speakers can say it absolutely correctly. Maori didn't have a written language until the European arrived. Some European I think just transcribed things how he/she thought it sounded, hence the 'wh' spelling.

You may notice that a lot of us older generation still pronounce the 'wh' as 'w'. As in Wangaray (Whangarei) instead of Fungaray. It's not intentional. It's just hard to change the way of saying things half way through your life when you were taught as a kid to say it some other way.
waikatoguy is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 3:00 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 4,026
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Think its supposed to sound like this

Justcol is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 3:53 am
  #4  
We're HERE!!!
Thread Starter
 
Kija's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: New Zealand!
Posts: 873
Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Originally Posted by waikatoguy View Post
Hi Kija,
The 'wh' is officially a different sound to an 'f'. Don't ask me what it is, because I can't tell the difference and I think only fluent speakers can say it absolutely correctly. Maori didn't have a written language until the European arrived. Some European I think just transcribed things how he/she thought it sounded, hence the 'wh' spelling.

You may notice that a lot of us older generation still pronounce the 'wh' as 'w'. As in Wangaray (Whangarei) instead of Fungaray. It's not intentional. It's just hard to change the way of saying things half way through your life when you were taught as a kid to say it some other way.
Thanks waikatoguy, it's interesting that it wasn't pronounced as an "f" sound until recent times.

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
Think its supposed to sound like this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KK76cvClD7c
Kija is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:01 am
  #5  
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 472
waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
Think its supposed to sound like this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KK76cvClD7c
You've got it Col ! I think it is something like that actually.
waikatoguy is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:40 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Bellasmum's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,008
Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Originally Posted by Kija View Post
Why are words spelt with "wh" pronounced "f" here, we found it a bit strange?
Kija there is no "f" in the Maori alphabet

http://www.korero.maori.nz/forlearne...-wordlist.html
Bellasmum is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 7:54 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
P18PPS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Qatar
Posts: 959
P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Originally Posted by Bellasmum View Post
Kija there is no "f" in the Maori alphabet

http://www.korero.maori.nz/forlearne...-wordlist.html
there is whenever I overhear them talk !! what the f**k ... etc etc
P18PPS is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:25 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Kapiti Coast, Wellington
Posts: 704
MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Originally Posted by P18PPS View Post
there is whenever I overhear them talk !! what the f**k ... etc etc
"they" are some of my relatives who will almost certainly not appreciate generalisation. They have well paid jobs, their kids are studying at uni and probably swear no more than pakeha teenagers. They can also trace their family history back here for generations - far longer than any expats.

Although I see where you are coming from being a British expat myself married to a kiwi, this sort of attitude doesn't help anyone.
MOSO is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:13 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 4,026
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Oh stop being so touchy, we've all got plenty of Maori friends most of which would probably
laugh at your stupid, typically British, overly PC reaction.

All scousers are car thieves
All man utd fans dont live in manchester
All Islanders are fat.
All americans are stupid
yadda yadda yadda

My family tree goes back to the 12th century, whoop de do, doesnt make me any more special than anyone else
Get down of your high horse and wind your neck in
Justcol is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:19 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
barnsleymat's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 1,111
barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
Oh stop being so touchy, we've all got plenty of Maori friends most of which would probably
laugh at your stupid, typically British, overly PC reaction.

All scousers are car thieves
All man utd fans dont live in manchester
All Islanders are fat.
All americans are stupid
yadda yadda yadda

My family tree goes back to the 12th century, whoop de do, doesnt make me any more special than anyone else
Get down of your high horse and wind your neck in
This Dingle White Trash Northern Monkey Pommy Jafa agrees.

Does being able to trace your family back further than 'us' lot make you a better person. I couldn't give a monkeys about my ancestors, I was born and raised in England and I'm English, any future kids I have in NZ will be 100% Kiwi. None of this 'I'm one 16th summat else' nonsense.
barnsleymat is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:42 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 4,026
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

the one 16th bullshit is so "they" can dodge university fees
Justcol is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 11:42 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
barnsleymat's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 1,111
barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
the one 16th bullshit is so "they" can dodge university fees
Why do 'they' get free University?

First I've heard about it.
barnsleymat is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 7:28 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Cyberia
Posts: 173
Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Originally Posted by barnsleymat View Post
Why do 'they' get free University?

First I've heard about it.
Because they're entiltled.
Leither is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:07 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
P18PPS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Qatar
Posts: 959
P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Originally Posted by MOSO View Post
"they" are some of my relatives who will almost certainly not appreciate generalisation. They have well paid jobs, their kids are studying at uni and probably swear no more than pakeha teenagers. They can also trace their family history back here for generations - far longer than any expats.

Although I see where you are coming from being a British expat myself married to a kiwi, this sort of attitude doesn't help anyone.
sense of humor by-pass?
P18PPS is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:14 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
zaras dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Birkdale, Auckland
Posts: 375
zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Originally Posted by barnsleymat View Post
This Dingle White Trash Northern Monkey Pommy Jafa agrees.

Does being able to trace your family back further than 'us' lot make you a better person. I couldn't give a monkeys about my ancestors, I was born and raised in England and I'm English, any future kids I have in NZ will be 100% Kiwi. None of this 'I'm one 16th summat else' nonsense.


This
zaras dad is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.