Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's weird about NZ?

What's weird about NZ?

Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's weird about NZ?

[QUOTE=Vitalstatistix;7814796]
Originally Posted by Genesis

My mate's a girl is yours? Perhaps there's only one German with a sense of humour in the world
I'm mostly Lancashire with a 1/16th of Irish on my Mother's side
Nah, he was a bloke..so there's 2 funny germans.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:53 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

Nah, he was a bloke..so there's 2 funny germans.
I wonder why it is all the rest of them (excepting of course the 2 we have identified as being funny) are such big fans of Monty Python?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_P...egender_Zirkus

Maybe they liked the costumes.

Last edited by southerner; Aug 6th 2009 at 12:56 am.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Shortening normal everyday words and putting an "o" at the end and news readers happily using the shortened version.

e.g. Compensation becomes Compo (wasn't he in Last of the Summer Wine?)
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:40 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Shortening normal everyday words and putting an "o" at the end and news readers happily using the shortened version.

e.g. Compensation becomes Compo (wasn't he in Last of the Summer Wine?)
I have to admit, I like most of these things that make NZ quirky!

My Kiwi Hubby finds the sports teams' names lack imagination;

All Blacks
Black Caps
Black Sticks
Tall Blacks

There is the Silver Ferns mind.

etc.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I have to admit, I like most of these things that make NZ quirky!

My Kiwi Hubby finds the sports teams' names lack imagination;

All Blacks
Black Caps
Black Sticks
Tall Blacks

There is the Silver Ferns mind.

etc.
Don't forget the All Whites and sure there is the Black Socks or something I heard the other day...
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Don't forget the All Whites and sure there is the Black Socks or something I heard the other day...
Black Socks - what do they do?!

Black Sox - Softball - I googled it!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Well, if you couldn't work the remote to change channel or turn the TV off, then maybe you should answer that one yourself.
What's a remote then? Like I ever see it! In my defence, am female and not allowed anywhere near such technical gadgetry. Am only allowed to operate frying pans, the cooker, fridge, dishwasher and washing machine.

Moving right along; supermarkets again, they drive me crazy, why do they not ever provide somewhere for you to leave the empty basket at the till. You end up standing there like a nerk, wondering what to do with it. Ooh, shall I shall't I leave it on the conveyor? Okay, I'll just discretely leave it on the floor then and hope nobody notices.

What exactly is the point of zebra crossings without belisha beacons? A cut out disc of orange metal just doesn't have quite the same effect.

Pedestrian crossings also don't have zig-zags that stop people parking their big f*** off utes and vans one foot away from the crossing, so that you can't see if anyone is waiting to cross.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 9:19 am
Just Joined

kiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Love it . They should allow us to drive through shopping centers as well so we can buy stuff quickly .

I love the way here that if you've had a few too many pies rather than telling you to eat less and exercise more they give you a mobility scooter .
or a stomach shrinking operation!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Huge chains of shops selling only plastic storage boxes...
The turn left rule...
That kiwis think it is perfectly normal and acceptable for houses to leak which is why there should be spaces in the walls for the moisture to escape...
Cheap aluminium windows that only open a few inches upwards instead of outwards....
Only being able to park on the side of the road in the direction you are driving...
Men walking around in shorts and wellies in the middle of winter...
BYO wine at restaurants (I like this one )
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Moving right along; supermarkets again, they drive me crazy, why do they not ever provide somewhere for you to leave the empty basket at the till. You end up standing there like a nerk, wondering what to do with it. Ooh, shall I shall't I leave it on the conveyor? Okay, I'll just discretely leave it on the floor then and hope nobody notices.

Haha...I do EXACTLY the same thing...and think exactly the same thing every time I go shopping!!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:35 am

[QUOTE=smudge1;7817522Only being able to park on the side of the road in the direction you are driving...[/QUOTE]

And apparently you're not meant to parallel park, is that right?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

And apparently you're not meant to parallel park, is that right?
oooh..I don't know about that one...is there any other way to park on the road??
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by smudge1
oooh..I don't know about that one...is there any other way to park on the road??
My definition of parallel park was driving past space and then reversing in - apparently you're meant to drive in forwards.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

My definition of parallel park was driving past space and then reversing in - apparently you're meant to drive in forwards.
hmmm....I didn't know that...I may have been breaking the law for quite some time then...
Old Aug 6th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I must break the law most days then!!

RE: Supermarkets, you are supposed to leave your groceries in the basket on the conveyor belt and they empty them out as they scan items

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.