Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's weird about NZ?

What's weird about NZ?

Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's weird about NZ?

On a day time national talk back show the hosts who are big stars using words like 'tosser' and 'wanker'!! I just love the irreverence of this country. The way that the anchor news persons refer to assault as 'bashing'.

The turning rule...very weird. SH1 (our M1) being pretty much single lane carriageway for a huge % of its length. At the top of Mt Ruapehu sheer deathly drops having totally NO barriers...road high up like that all over.

The overland train..one of the worlds must do train journeys (on the south isle anyway) looking like a 1970's commuter train from Brighton to Eastbourne!!!! Cold boxes being called chilly bins, ice creams that are ice blocks and sweets are lollies.

Allowed to drive on the beach???? WTF??????????????????

You sell your house by half the town coming to look at it rather than the UK preserve of private one on one appointments.

I just love weird. Which is nice. I just utterly love NZ and all it's weirdosity.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What's weird about NZ?

Originally Posted by Genesis
Allowed to drive on the beach???? WTF?????????????????
Love it . They should allow us to drive through shopping centers as well so we can buy stuff quickly .

I love the way here that if you've had a few too many pies rather than telling you to eat less and exercise more they give you a mobility scooter .
Old Aug 5th 2009, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's weird about NZ?

Jim Hickey doing the weather on TV One, could you imagine that kind of informal delivery on the BBC, there would be complaints!

Shortland Street, which makes Take the High Road look professional...

That words on the road are written in the order you come to them instead of the order you might read them (top to bottom)...keeps the suspense going a bit longer...such as:

Bridge
Lane
One

Cheese naming, I'm still not sure what Colby actually is, and only Mainland actually make a Tasty that does what it says on the tin...

And Kirkcaldie and Staines in Wellington, it is just plain weird, and Farmers, the worst department store on the planet...and going to Harvey Norman and having to go to the correct counter to buy your stuff (sorry this is photographic, you will need to go to the Computer Checkout to buy that sir...), and Fly Buys, the most useless loyalty card ever...been here nearly 2 years and have enough points to buy a keyring...

More types of DIY store than they have types of Supermarket
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=irnbru14;7813567]Jim

That words on the road are written in the order you come to them instead of the order you might read them (top to bottom)...keeps the suspense going a bit longer...such as:

Bridge
Lane
One

That is a REALLY funny observation..I, nay WE guffawed!!!! Karma en route
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:09 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Genesis;7813383]

QUOTE]

You can do that in Denmark too....seeing German tourists in their BMW's stuck in the sands and being dragged out by ancient Danish tractors....priceless
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Charismatic;7813421I love the way here that if you've had a few too many pies rather than telling you to eat less and exercise more they give you a mobility scooter .[/QUOTE]

How true and HOW funny!!!!!! Karma sent!!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Wooly_Cow;7813635]

QUOTE]

You can do that in Denmark too....seeing German tourists in their BMW's stuck in the sands and being dragged out by ancient Danish tractors....priceless
Bet they don't see the funny side either. Mind you that's an oxymoron innit? A german with a sense of humour.

Both scathing and mildly xenophobic..but true none the less.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:14 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

The Kiwi (bird) and sharing a beach with penguins.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Genesis;7813640]
Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow

Bet they don't see the funny side either. Mind you that's an oxymoron innit? A german with a sense of humour.

Both scathing and mildly xenophobic..but true none the less.
I take exception to that Mr Genesis. My best mate in NZ is German & she has a very well-developed sense of humour, thank you very much
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Cars drive on the beach at Southport. So it seems quite normal to me.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:18 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

School uniform - shorts & T-shirts all year round oh and bare feet. I love it! No running round searching for shoes and socks in the mornings!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Vitalstatistix;7813929]

I take exception to that Mr Genesis. My best mate in NZ is German & she has a very well-developed sense of humour, thank you very much
I am half a frog..the ribbing I got about the Napoleonic wars and the arrogance and off hand attitude of the french...they were right you know! The other half's irish..don't even go there. I have met a german with a great sense of humour..probably your mate!! They are a tad serious aye?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:55 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
School uniform - shorts & T-shirts all year round oh and bare feet. I love it! No running round searching for shoes and socks in the mornings!
It really makes me cringe to see children (and adults for that matter)with bare feet in town, in Pac n Save or The Warehouse or on the pavements.... god only knows what on those floors.

Its ok in the country, on grass or on the beach maybe but in town?.. yuck

Last edited by NakiMan; Aug 5th 2009 at 5:59 am.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Cars drive on the beach at Southport. So it seems quite normal to me.
Yep and me - we are allowed to drive on the beach in Ireland too!!!

Charismatic - Love the idea of being allowed to drive into the supermarket - that would really save time and stop the worry of my 2 year old falling out of the trolley!

Genesis - its so lovely to read your posts on here - reminds me of why I'm here - Thank you!!!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NakiMan
It really makes me cringe to see children (and adults for that matter)with bare feet in town, in Pac n Save or The Warehouse or on the pavements.... god only knows what on those floors.

Its ok in the country, on grass or on the beach maybe but in town?.. yuck
Have to admit I find it weird looking at kids with no shoes on but I'm over it now! I dont get it when they do it in winter tho and in the rain!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.