What's weird about NZ?

Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's weird about NZ?

and they go quack.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

chook, chook, choo, choo, chook........
orf to bed too :bed:
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Has anybody noticed doors to public buildings (the non automatic ones) seem to all be pull towards you from the outside and push from the inside. I was told that its cos the strong winds in Wellington wont blow the doors open if they were to be pushed from the outside.

Dunno if that makes sense reading but it does in my head
Thats why God invented the Wind Lobby

Actually, automatic doors are an issue here, have you noticed how slow they are to react to people, number of times I have nearly walked into them as they have been closing or expecting them to open quicker...
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Thats why God invented the Wind Lobby

Actually, automatic doors are an issue here, have you noticed how slow they are to react to people, number of times I have nearly walked into them as they have been closing or expecting them to open quicker...
Wind. Didn't Dubai and other areas build for the wind to cool the buildings. So I read anyways.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl

So to sum up:

Top loaders are for disorganised fashion victims who don't care for the environment and just want an easy life, even if it rots their clothes.....why it suits the Yanks and some of our Kiwi friends....

Front loaders are for anally retentive tree-huggers who want to continue to wear the same M&S undies that they brought over from the UK 10 years ago and insist on whiter whites....why the Germans make the best ones and we Pomms think that it makes sense to use them...

/time to duck and run/

And then there are us North Europeans who will not take the front loader or the top loader, but decide to cross-breed them to get this:
There is also a top loading variant of the horizontal axis design that is loaded from the top, through a small door in the circumference of the drum. These machines usually have a shorter cylinder and are therefore smaller, but offer the efficiency of a front-loader while eliminating the problems of the flexible bellows. This kind of washing machine is sold and popular in Europe, especially in small households, because it offers the same drum system as front loaders, just with a smaller footprint. (from Wikipedia)
Whilst I wouldn't touch the US style top loader (that seems also be the NZ top loader) with a barge pole, I'm quite happy to wash my clothes with an European style top loader as it uses the same amount of energy and water as a front loader. Incidentally, this type was dominating the markets here until people began to buy tumble dryers that obviously can't be stacked on top of a top loader.

And as a comment to the laundry vs. kitchen: in the Nordic countries the washing machine is almost never in the kitchen. If no separate laundry space is available, the washing machine (plus the dryer) is in the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails What's weird about NZ?-86675.jpg  

Last edited by Mgee; Aug 13th 2009 at 1:14 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

dazandgen is an unknown quantity at this point

NZ weird things from my NZ OH...his perspective on his homeland after 10 years in the UK!

- one way road/rail bridges with no warning lights to say a train is coming
- hokie pokie ice cream, Chit Chats, pineapple lumps
- JAFFA - interesting wordplay on some road safety signage we noticed on the highways outside of Auckland on our last trip over!
- people that are happy to pack your supermarket shopping
- can't take your dog for walks in national parks, or pretty much anywhere!
- the right turn rule
- the dominance of Fischer and Pikel washing machines
- all hoovers are instead known as luxe
- Desert Road not really being near a desert
- outside of Wellington one train a day, if you are lucky
- attendants filling up your petrol, checking your oil, cleaning your windscreen - and you don't have to tip
- oh and you don't have to tip
- multi lane roundabouts that actually have lane markings
- not bowling underarm

That's about it for now!

Oh and going back to sports names....who could forget the Beige Brigade
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:18 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mgee
And then there are us North Europeans who will not take the front loader or the top loader, but decide to cross-breed them to get this...

And as a comment to the laundry vs. kitchen: in the Nordic countries the washing machine is almost never in the kitchen. If no separate laundry space is available, the washing machine (plus the dryer) is in the bathroom.
Only time I've used those was in France and Cyprus as I recall, so its not just Northern Europe where they are popular. I think the French place we last stayed in with one had a bedroom containing the usual bed, a shower and a Porta-potti style loo! We only stayed there one night!!

Regarding the appliances in the bathroom - I'm not a great fan of that as they will tend to get damp and coming into contact with them when you are damp can be a problem.......I know you can be damp in the kitchen/utility but you are usually less sodden than when you step out of the bath/shower, and sometimes your body needs all the resistance it can get.

Well back OT, I must say some of the personalised number plates here are "weird".....

Saw one "TODGER" today on the car park at New World with an older person driving it - maybe that means something else in NZ???////////

and we have the classic "1 Q7 1" which I have posted before, that is probably a fair reflection on the drivers of such gas guzzling status-tractors.....LOL......

There are plenty more where those came from
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Only time I've used those was in France and Cyprus as I recall, so its not just Northern Europe where they are popular.

Its a very Italian thing thing too. My family all have them in the bathrooms
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Only time I've used those was in France and Cyprus as I recall, so its not just Northern Europe where they are popular. I think the French place we last stayed in with one had a bedroom containing the usual bed, a shower and a Porta-potti style loo! We only stayed there one night!!

Regarding the appliances in the bathroom - I'm not a great fan of that as they will tend to get damp and coming into contact with them when you are damp can be a problem.......I know you can be damp in the kitchen/utility but you are usually less sodden than when you step out of the bath/shower, and sometimes your body needs all the resistance it can get.

Well back OT, I must say some of the personalised number plates here are "weird".....

Saw one "TODGER" today on the car park at New World with an older person driving it - maybe that means something else in NZ???////////

and we have the classic "1 Q7 1" which I have posted before, that is probably a fair reflection on the drivers of such gas guzzling status-tractors.....LOL......

There are plenty more where those came from
Best one I saw was some burly young Kiwi bloke driving some Toyota Nondescript with the private reg of S CLUB 7 - needless to say I tried not to wee myself at the time
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:51 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Best one I saw was some burly young Kiwi bloke driving some Toyota Nondescript with the private reg of S CLUB 7 - needless to say I tried not to wee myself at the time
That's the post of the week so far for me Sure it wasn't being driven by Bradley (which reminds me, when my DD was younger she was a big SC7 fan, but being small, she thought every black young guy was Bradley....I remember peeing myself laughing as she kept running up to the ice cream guy at Legoland, pointing at him and shouting so the rest of the park could here 'It's Bradley from S Club 7!' - guy didn't know whether to laugh or cry! Moments later we saw Linford Christie and you guessed it ....'BRADLEEEEEE')
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:57 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

They wouldn't let me have "FATGAY" on a plate for my husband - it went through the website, but got picked up before they'd issue it.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:06 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard it said that in LA there is a Rolls Royce with a number plate 'BOLLOCKS' because the Yanks don't know what that means
Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:52 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
They wouldn't let me have "FATGAY" on a plate for my husband - it went through the website, but got picked up before they'd issue it.
Why would you anyway? Can't stand them faggots! lol
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:04 am
you dewty owld maan!

you have to hope that it means something else here or is a sign that there is justice in the world and they had to sell their plates to make ends meet.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:08 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Dont laugh!! I use to love them....

I know it's a cliches!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.