Old May 27th 2009, 9:31 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's Wairoa really like?

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I was about to comment on that Laura
Personally I like numptyhead too!
Old May 27th 2009, 9:53 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I was about to comment on that Laura
Old May 28th 2009, 2:17 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Are you SURE you wouldn't consider Napier? It's lovely. That's all I'm saying. And you're right near the sea. Lovely town. A bit more going on.
I'm no fan of Napier. Much is made of the fact that it's by the sea- but you need to bear in mind it's a nasty grey shingle beach with a treacherous ocean that seems to take a few lives each year- even from the beach!!! There's a swimming beach at Westshore, Napier but it's really nothing special. Another thing people like about Napier is the Art Deco thing, which is cool and attractive but unless Art Deco really floats your boat it's not a reason to green light Napier. Most expats huddle in Taradale in Napier- a bland, uninspiring, built up flat suburb quite far from the sea but has good schools etc.

I like to visit Napier and drink coffee there and take the kids to Ocean Spa in the winter but I wouldn't pay to buy a home there- I'd rather Havelock North if I was flush and liked town living or rural- flush, somewhere along the Kahuraniki but if cash was short and looking to buy under $500K rurally I'd look in Central Hawkes Bay- fab undiscovered beaches down there too
Old May 28th 2009, 4:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My husband had one of his job offers in Hastings but turned it down in favour of the Nelson area job offer after we visited both places.

I like the username Numptyhead too but if you choose to change it , that's cool. After all I just finally manged to lose the 'here' after me BEVS.
Old May 28th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
But so would most New Zealanders too.
Im glad someones with me
Old May 28th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
that'll be me then except for the goatee!
Send me some weed then will ya, I need it round here
Old May 28th 2009, 8:03 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Send me some weed then will ya, I need it round here
I'm too poor, I had to sell it all

Old May 29th 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Numptyhead - PM Sue in admin and she can sort out your username change.

My two eldest went to Truro School! Fantastic place and they were really sad to go. However, we have found Tauranga Girls College here to be on a par with Truro and it's not private!

I agree with Kiwilass that you might want to consider Napier and was going to suggest it myself. Great climate. Beaches. Shops. But 10 minutes and you're rural.

Can everybody else play nicely please. The OP is trying to gauge some useful information not get caught up in a "he said, she said" game!
Hi Am Loolah

Wow what a small world it really is. DD is just coming to the end of her second year here. She will be really sad to leave too...but more for her friends I think. I really do think it will be a bigger adjustment for her.

DD will be desperate to know....do they get less homework now than when they were here?
Old May 30th 2009, 9:28 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
Hi Am Loolah

Wow what a small world it really is. DD is just coming to the end of her second year here. She will be really sad to leave too...but more for her friends I think. I really do think it will be a bigger adjustment for her.

DD will be desperate to know....do they get less homework now than when they were here?
I was hoping when you said the best school in Cornwall it'd be the same one! Is Mr Smith still the Head - what a nice guy? He refused us permission to take our eldest out of school during term time whn we wanted to come to NZ on our reccie. She was 13 at the time. So I wrote to him explaining why we wanted to come and he gave us his blessing. One of his daughters has spent time here working and raved about it and he said he envied us being in that position!

Our eldest had done 2 years there and our second daughter one year when we left. They were both doing really well and loved Truro - as did we. But, it has been a great move for all of us. Although it took our then 14 year old longer to settle in than the rest of us - about 4 months.

And yes, they get less homework here and way more freedom! I don't know about yours, but ours used to get an hour a night when they were there!

Fabulous school - very hard to beat. But it's not just about schooling. And as I said before the school here that our now 14 year old is at, which is NOT private is fantastic.

Your daughter may know some of the same people my 14 year old knows!
Old May 30th 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

LOL.....have sent you PM
Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

wotif is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: What's Wairoa really like?

Hi Numpty

If you are an A&E nurse then the Hastings hospital would be a possible for you. I have worked at the hospital for 2 1/2 years - it has a great atmosphere.

I'm not keen on hastings - bit of a bland NZ town. We live in Napier, which has more character and only 10 mins up the expressway to work. The local beaches are rubbish - pebbles and dangerous, but 30 mins north or south are great sandy beaches. If I didn't live in Napier, Nelson would be my choice - similar great weather Abel Tasman on your doorstep -lovely scenery.

There's always the option of Havelock North - its quite unusual in NZ to have 3 'towns ' located so close together - if you can't find what you like in one then the other probably has it!

I wouldn't consider Wairoa its too far from anywhere there is 'cottage' hospital the road in and out of Wairoa is one or the worst drives in NZ the schools are not great either. The only up-side is houses are very cheap ie start at $70k - but then that says something really doesn't it?

I think Nelson hospital is a little smaller than Hawkesbay's in Hastings, both places are about the sunniest in NZ around 2300 hrs per year vs 1800 hrs in UK.

Have a look for jobs in Hawkesbay DHB at http://www.hawkesbaydhb.govt.nz/web_...p?ID=100001811

Or Nelson - http://www.nmdhb.govt.nz/careersAtNMDHB.aspx

Good luck !

PS love the Numpty name - keep it!!!

Last edited by wotif; Jun 5th 2009 at 8:53 pm. Reason: added web links
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wotif
Hi Numpty

If you are an A&E nurse then the Hastings hospital would be a possible for you. I have worked at the hospital for 2 1/2 years - it has a great atmosphere.

I'm not keen on hastings - bit of a bland NZ town. We live in Napier, which has more character and only 10 mins up the expressway to work. The local beaches are rubbish - pebbles and dangerous, but 30 mins north or south are great sandy beaches. If I didn't live in Napier, Nelson would be my choice - similar great weather Abel Tasman on your doorstep -lovely scenery.

There's always the option of Havelock North - its quite unusual in NZ to have 3 'towns ' located so close together - if you can't find what you like in one then the other probably has it!

I wouldn't consider Wairoa its too far from anywhere there is 'cottage' hospital the road in and out of Wairoa is one or the worst drives in NZ the schools are not great either. The only up-side is houses are very cheap ie start at $70k - but then that says something really doesn't it?

I think Nelson hospital is a little smaller than Hawkesbay's in Hastings, both places are about the sunniest in NZ around 2300 hrs per year vs 1800 hrs in UK.

Have a look for jobs in Hawkesbay DHB at http://www.hawkesbaydhb.govt.nz/web_...p?ID=100001811

Or Nelson - http://www.nmdhb.govt.nz/careersAtNMDHB.aspx

Good luck !

PS love the Numpty name - keep it!!!
Hi Wotif

Thank you for the extra information and its lovely to actually hear from someone working at Hastings Hospital. My CV is going out to Hawkes Bay DHB this week so I should hear something soon.

We are definately not considering Wairoa any longer, especially not with a 13 yr old daughter to consider.

Havelock North School sounds great for daughter but it might be too expensive for us to buy property in.

Yes, the concensus of opinion so far is people like the numpty name so I will keep it:

Where do you work in the hospital? Do they do 8 hour or 12 hour shifts? So many questions lol. PM me if you would prefer
Kind Regards
Maria
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
We are definately not considering Wairoa any longer, especially not with a 13 yr old daughter to consider.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

wotif is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: What's Wairoa really like?

Maria,

Have PM'd you!

Neil

Last edited by wotif; Jun 9th 2009 at 10:55 pm. Reason: stuff