Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's Wairoa really like?

What's Wairoa really like?

Old May 26th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's Wairoa really like?

Hi

There is a strong possibility that we could move to Wairoa, Hawkes Bay.

We are looking for a rural life so no worries on its rural aspect.

Wairoa College has a decile of 1 .....with 83% Maori students and 16% NZ/European. Would not expect it to have a high decile as any rural area is going to have a fairly low socio/economic status. Daughter is 13yrs old so she still has a lot of schooling ahead of her....much to her disgust...I will add.

Also the option of Hastings, Hawkes Bay.....I'm favouring this, but how can we make a decision when we know nothing!

Any insight would be much appreciated

Maria
Old May 26th 2009, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Wairoa really like?

I have no idea what Wairoa is like being a happy Jafa in Auckland.
however..if you don't get much joy here...I would try posting on the trademe message boards http://www.trademe.co.nz
Old May 26th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I have no idea what Wairoa is like being a happy Jafa in Auckland.
however..if you don't get much joy here...I would try posting on the trademe message boards http://www.trademe.co.nz
Thanks happy Jafa...lol! Never thought of asking on there
Old May 26th 2009, 11:42 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly?

I'd move there without kids, sure But there's no way I'd put a 13 yr old girl in a decile 1 school in Wairoa.

Not all rural schools are low decile, surprisingly. Our daughters attended a decile 8, although the local college was lower.

Hastings is a much, much better bet, imho. If you're looking for somewhere to live rurally for cheaper can I recomend Waipukurau in Hawkes Bay. I know 2 of the teaching staff at the college there and both have their own kids attend, which is good testimony for the school http://www.chbc.school.nz/ Housing gets progressively cheaper the further south you go in central hawkes bay but Waipuk is commutable to Hastings if you need to work there. Have a look and see what you can get rurally round there- it's wonderful country

Lower decile schools shouldn't be ruled out just because they're lower decile but I'd be VERY VERY wary of Wairoa for your daughter in a decile 1 school, in fact (and it's unlike me to be quite so adamant) I'd beg you to reconsider!!!
Old May 26th 2009, 11:45 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Hastings gets quite a bit of bad press but for a rural town (don't think city, it's not!) I think it's got some really strong points.

1) nicely laid out and easy to park and get about
2) lovely weather
3) New World- bloody marvellous
4) cafes
5) heaps of local produce including wine, olives, cheese ....
6) Opera house
Old May 26th 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Honestly?

I'd move there without kids, sure But there's no way I'd put a 13 yr old girl in a decile 1 school in Wairoa.

Not all rural schools are low decile, surprisingly. Our daughters attended a decile 8, although the local college was lower.

Hastings is a much, much better bet, imho. If you're looking for somewhere to live rurally for cheaper can I recomend Waipukurau in Hawkes Bay. I know 2 of the teaching staff at the college there and both have their own kids attend, which is good testimony for the school http://www.chbc.school.nz/ Housing gets progressively cheaper the further south you go in central hawkes bay but Waipuk is commutable to Hastings if you need to work there. Have a look and see what you can get rurally round there- it's wonderful country

Lower decile schools shouldn't be ruled out just because they're lower decile but I'd be VERY VERY wary of Wairoa for your daughter in a decile 1 school, in fact (and it's unlike me to be quite so adamant) I'd beg you to reconsider!!!
Hi B-B,

Thank you so much for your input and thoughts. I really do appreciate it. You've confirmed my gut instincts, it would be interesting to hear others thoughts on it too.

DD is in the private system here and at the best school in Cornwall. There is no way we can afford to pay for a private school over there (drop in income). DD is quite happy to be leaving her school as she finds the pressure intolerable at times...she does have a point, so I have no fear about her leaving at this age but don't want to set her back either....I hear you. Thank you so much

Kind Regards
Maria
Old May 26th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, youre gonna move your daughter from a top school in Cornwall to a lower decile maori dominated school in gangland wairoa?

I doubt she'll thank you for that.

Cant say I fancy Hastings much either, and as for Waipukerau, Jeez Id sooner shoot myself in the head with a crossbow.
Have you been to these places?
Old May 26th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Browner_
Hmm, youre gonna move your daughter from a top school in Cornwall to a lower decile maori dominated school in gangland wairoa?

I doubt she'll thank you for that.

Cant say I fancy Hastings much either, and as for Waipukerau, Jeez Id sooner shoot myself in the head with a crossbow.
Have you been to these places?
Hi Browner,

Well, thats why I asked for input...so thanks for that. You probably have a point on the school in Wairoa though
As for Hastings and Waipukerau, we are looking for a quiet rural life. Thats why I stressed rural in the 1st post. We live in Cornwall for Gods sake. Land of pasties and clotted cream.....miles from any kind of culture or anything.

Hastings has a Opera House...thats wonderful

No, have never been to New Zealand, but don't piss on my chips because of that. Loads of people do it. In an ideal world we should come over for a reccie but we are saving like buggery right now.

Is there anywhere in New Zealand you would actually recommend?
Old May 26th 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Wairoa is a bit out the way, is a bit backwards in many respects and has a very large Maori population that have caused trouble in the past. I'm sure it's got a lot better since I was there 15 years ago though. (I think it was featured on that gang program with Ross Kemp)
Old May 26th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

What about *gulp* going south?
There are lots of people that rave about it
Old May 26th 2009, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pricklykina
What about *gulp* going south?
There are lots of people that rave about it
LOL.....It sounds so lovely but the temperature drops lower the further South you go and I want it warm! I think we will save the South Island for holidays.

Hey, Wairoa is no longer being considered, but Hastings and the Central Hawkes Bay Area is definately on the cards. Thanks for the input folks x
Old May 26th 2009, 10:09 pm
---

Browner has never lived in or near Hastings or Waipukarua I would guess. I know an expat family in both and lived between the two myself for two years. You need to bear in mind that Hawkes Bay is a pretty remote community and Wairoa isn't really even a part of that being a long journey over some mountains to get to from Napier, Hastings et al. The other consideration is that rural NZ communities aren't chocolate box pretty like Cornish ones. In fact they can look shabby and run down and lifeless from the outside, but that is often just an appearance. If you go to Waipawa (next door to Waipukarua) you'll find a second hand/antiques shop run by an expat husband and wife. He came out to NZ and bought the business and she followed after having never seen the area. Her first drive through the area had her in tears, but now she loves it. You'll meet tales like that again and again.

HOWEVER- it's not for city people. It's not a cosmopolitan way of life (unless you include dining/coffee in the wineries) but has so much to offer- if what is being offered is what you're looking for.

The other thing to bear in mind about Hawkes Bay is that it has one of the highest, if not the highest, wealth gaps in NZ. There are some VERY minted people living in Hawkes Bay in gorgeous homes demanding boutique shopping (HAvelock North) top schools for their kids (tick) and cinemas that have seats akin to first class airflight that you can take glasses of local wine into (tick- Havelock Gold). Against this you have some very poor families living pretty much hand to mouth.
Old May 26th 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Browner has never lived in or near Hastings or Waipukarua I would guess. I know an expat family in both and lived between the two myself for two years. You need to bear in mind that Hawkes Bay is a pretty remote community and Wairoa isn't really even a part of that being a long journey over some mountains to get to from Napier, Hastings et al. The other consideration is that rural NZ communities aren't chocolate box pretty like Cornish ones. In fact they can look shabby and run down and lifeless from the outside, but that is often just an appearance. If you go to Waipawa (next door to Waipukarua) you'll find a second hand/antiques shop run by an expat husband and wife. He came out to NZ and bought the business and she followed after having never seen the area. Her first drive through the area had her in tears, but now she loves it. You'll meet tales like that again and again.

HOWEVER- it's not for city people. It's not a cosmopolitan way of life (unless you include dining/coffee in the wineries) but has so much to offer- if what is being offered is what you're looking for.

The other thing to bear in mind about Hawkes Bay is that it has one of the highest, if not the highest, wealth gaps in NZ. There are some VERY minted people living in Hawkes Bay in gorgeous homes demanding boutique shopping (HAvelock North) top schools for their kids (tick) and cinemas that have seats akin to first class airflight that you can take glasses of local wine into (tick- Havelock Gold). Against this you have some very poor families living pretty much hand to mouth.
Dear B-B,

Thank you so much for the time you have taken today to explain the area. You seem to understand what we are looking for. You are lovely and I have sent you some much deserved Karma x
Old May 26th 2009, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought... how about somewhere like Dairy Flat in Rodney. You can be rural but still not too far from civilisation .

Thought I'd throw it into the mix.
Old May 26th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Just a thought... how about somewhere like Dairy Flat in Rodney. You can be rural but still not too far from civilisation .

Thought I'd throw it into the mix.
LOL...nah...too near Auckland and all that hectic stuff....Hey, I just had to look up where that is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.