Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's the blooming point?

What's the blooming point?

Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:03 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the blooming point?

You can get Clinique easily but it is much more expensive- I'd bring extra of the stuff you use regularly. It does last a long time but then maybe I'm more careful 'cos of cost

I don't know how available 'tall' clothes are here as I've never looked. I'm a 5'2" shortarse like Snap Shot
I know petite clothes aren't widely available like in the UK.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

What I kinda expected. Want me to bring a stash

I am thinking perhaps I need to relearn how to use my sewing machine!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:21 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M
What I kinda expected. Want me to bring a stash

I am thinking perhaps I need to relearn how to use my sewing machine!
Thanks but I'm temporarily in America [for two years] Otherwise I'd give you a long list You wouldn't have needed any luggage allowance, would you

There may be tall clothes out there so you may not need to become a seamstress when you arrive-I've just never looked for obvious reasons.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

northeastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyEvs
Advice on here is pretty much always going to be do what you want to do, don't let anybody blackmail you in that way. And in many ways that is true, but it's a very simplified response that doesn't really consider both the huge step that you are taking or the complexities of human emotion.
I can't possibly justify anything your mother has said but at the same time I can empathise with her feelings of abandonment which I think is where this comes from.
Many of the people on this forum come here and never look back, many are only too happy to have left their relatives behind for all sorts of reasons. To a certain extent I feel that about my parents and sister. However, although they never said it, our move really hurt my wife's parents and 8 years down the line the importance of family has really impacted on us, especially with my father in law's recent death.
People will say why didn't we realise that then, we knew we were going to the other side of the world, we must be stupid! But emigration is by definition a very selfish act and at the time we were so wrapped up in the plan to 'give our kids a better life' that we never really stopped to think about some of the consequences.
As we sit here in rural New Zealand we know that we will push our kids to go out and explore the world. And we dread that, the thought of them going and leaving us behind, breaks my heart now, goodness knows what it will be like when it actually happens.
So, sorry I can't offer any advice beyond perhaps trying to understand why people react the way they do even if it is incredibly hurtful to you.
Someone is bound to come on now and tell me I'm talking cobblers!
Exactly this!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

passthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud of

I get clinique online at cosmeticsnow, so far there has been free shipping and I get 2 moisturisers for the price of one in NZ shop.
$99.00 for one in Clinique NZ
$105.00 for 2 on cosmeticsnow.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:43 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

You can get Clinique brand products here in the chemists and in Farmers. I'm imagining the price is . This has been remarked on by another poster already. I don't use Clinique. I'm a fan of Body Shop cosmetics which I can get here.

I use the website Galaxyperfume.com to buy the aftershave my husband likes (and I like it too) as I can't get it here (it has to be ordered especially from the 1980's).

Galaxy perfume are based in Australia. I can't remember how much two bottles cost but it wasn't particularly expensive. Not as good price as Britain but anyway, he's got the aftershave we both like.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:09 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M
I know, gutted that i get to do winter twice! I also completely miss both triathlon seasons which i am a bit p1ssed about too!! Never mind, I bet Mr M gets to do 2 summers - that would be just my luck!
We rolled into Christchurch, NZ in March 2011 just as autumn was starting. Bearing in mind we'd left the early spring behind us in Britain. I had an odd feeling of being cheated out of spring and summer. However, we were soon presented with other problems to solve that had nothing to do with the season of the year !

BTW, what work will you be doing in Invercargill ?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I love how this thread has turned into one of the OP in a teeny but of emotional turmoil to one about sourcing cosmetics.

This forum is a lovely place to be at the moment, in cyber terms of course.

Well done on booking that one way flight. You are now set.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tommy!

I am not sure how I feel about it all, a bit bewildered, struggling to focus on stuff, struggling to sleep!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, this is natural.

Even without the unhelpful comments from family members, I've spent many an hour, just lying there. Awake ... Thinking ...

Sometimes crapping myself worrying if I've made a massive error, but mostly excited and looking forward to a new adventure.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the reassurance. Agree with all your thoughts, plus a million more!

Today the last piece of paperwork came back meaning we can now send the ITA off too.

All we need now is a house buyer!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AndyEvs
Advice on here is pretty much always going to be do what you want to do, don't let anybody blackmail you in that way. And in many ways that is true, but it's a very simplified response that doesn't really consider both the huge step that you are taking or the complexities of human emotion.
I can't possibly justify anything your mother has said but at the same time I can empathise with her feelings of abandonment which I think is where this comes from.
Many of the people on this forum come here and never look back, many are only too happy to have left their relatives behind for all sorts of reasons. To a certain extent I feel that about my parents and sister. However, although they never said it, our move really hurt my wife's parents and 8 years down the line the importance of family has really impacted on us, especially with my father in law's recent death.
People will say why didn't we realise that then, we knew we were going to the other side of the world, we must be stupid! But emigration is by definition a very selfish act and at the time we were so wrapped up in the plan to 'give our kids a better life' that we never really stopped to think about some of the consequences.
As we sit here in rural New Zealand we know that we will push our kids to go out and explore the world. And we dread that, the thought of them going and leaving us behind, breaks my heart now, goodness knows what it will be like when it actually happens.
So, sorry I can't offer any advice beyond perhaps trying to understand why people react the way they do even if it is incredibly hurtful to you.
Someone is bound to come on now and tell me I'm talking cobblers!
Andy you sound a really thoughtful, kind person.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

e4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nice
Smile Re: What's the blooming point?

Hi M&M

It's a great day in Invercargill today - officially Autumn and 25degrees!! Bloomin hot in the office! Not saying it’s like this every week, but it’s certainly better than the uk!!

I believe I'm in contact with your hubby and I've given my work address to him so please pop in to see me when you get here :-) Or if you need a friendly face to pick you up from the airport – I’m more than happy to do that .

I'd also only lived in a limited number of places in my life - all in the UK. Hubby was the one pushing our move - but absolutely no regrets. There are highs and lows but we believe overall the highs outweigh the lows. Having been here almost 4 years, we've not even been back to the UK for a visit, and in no hurry to do so. Hardest thing for you is you’ll be going through all the ‘new’ things without hubby, but I’m sure you’ll be in very close contact and he will be wanting to make his way over asap .

Hope to see you soon!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by e4ebs
Hi M&M

It's a great day in Invercargill today - officially Autumn and 25degrees!! Bloomin hot in the office! Not saying it’s like this every week, but it’s certainly better than the uk!!

I believe I'm in contact with your hubby and I've given my work address to him so please pop in to see me when you get here :-) Or if you need a friendly face to pick you up from the airport – I’m more than happy to do that .

I'd also only lived in a limited number of places in my life - all in the UK. Hubby was the one pushing our move - but absolutely no regrets. There are highs and lows but we believe overall the highs outweigh the lows. Having been here almost 4 years, we've not even been back to the UK for a visit, and in no hurry to do so. Hardest thing for you is you’ll be going through all the ‘new’ things without hubby, but I’m sure you’ll be in very close contact and he will be wanting to make his way over asap .

Hope to see you soon!

A lovely friendly post for Mrs M