Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's the blooming point?

What's the blooming point?

Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the blooming point?

Originally Posted by luvwelly
This is my bugbear when people say 'there's always Skype' .....once your daily life no longer intersects with their daily life, the connection is lost.
You are so right!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

passthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by M_and_M
Well, I have done it. I just pressed that button 'pay'.... one way ticket to NZ on April 12th. I think I need a cuppa.
Well done, now all you've got to remember is to stay sane. Good luck.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

I will try my level best!! I think you might be seeing more of me!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

You know, you could say everywhere had something wrong with its weather unless you lived in the desert, or in Northern territory in Australia!

I refuse to think negative (will the house sell, will it work out)

If i did that i would just stay right here with my little box and picket fence
Even with crap weather & miles from anywhere, if you want NZ, it's a foot in the door. I know many people who have taken a job anywhere, then once they have their PR, they move on to areas & jobs that they want. If it's in your heart.... go for it. If life doesn't work out, you can always go back to your box. But at least you would have tried it Good luck M & M.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

That's my sentiments exactly. Once I get the PR visa i can move after 3 months. so hell, what's the worst that can happen? I end up in a box, in a job i don't like much but in a beautiful country with lots of space and a whole new half of the world to go on holidays to!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

passthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud of

Just realised you'll be going from a winter season to an almost winter season, which is what we did, it was very strange having 2 winters in one year, and we had 6 inches of snow in NZ that year, extremely unusual for the North Isalnd. Good fun though.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by passthevalium
Just realised you'll be going from a winter season to an almost winter season, which is what we did, it was very strange having 2 winters in one year, and we had 6 inches of snow in NZ that year, extremely unusual for the North Isalnd. Good fun though.
Ummmm... unfortunately we did the same but at least you will get some sunny winter days mrs m just pack your thermals
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know, gutted that i get to do winter twice! I also completely miss both triathlon seasons which i am a bit p1ssed about too!! Never mind, I bet Mr M gets to do 2 summers - that would be just my luck!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am looking at it in this way: I currently shop in Long Tall sally because I am 6 ft tall. I am not sure if theres such a shop in NZ, so if not, I will be permanently buying sale clothing, due to the opposite seasons!! Bargain!!

PS: been stocking up on my woolies in the sale this week!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:20 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Once I get the PR visa i can move after 3 months.
You don't have to have the PR visa and stay in the same company for 3mths, the time you are working on the temp work visa counts. Husband did the same started his temp work visa in the Sept and for the PR in the February and just had to show that he had worked for three months with the same company so he didn't have that restriction on his PR visa
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aha... Cool!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:19 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

M&M - GO FOR IT !!!!

You are a little

Sometimes people have been shocked (and/or sometimes bewildered) by the reaction of their relatives when they say they are emigrating. Sometimes they have seen a side to someone they hadn't seen before, and not in a good way.

I read a story on here ages ago that a parent pretended (by giving money on their behalf) that the grandparents had sent money for Christmas presents for their children as the grandparents were so upset by the family moving they had declined to send presents. Basically, people can get exceptionally shitty regarding a relocation. Albeit, all family circumstances are personal.

The aftermath of a death or an estrangement can break up a family. M&M's mother could do well to remember that. By that I mean you could have a good relationship with someone who lives overseas or have no relationship with someone who lives where they always have.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 12th 2013 at 1:45 am.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:44 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking at it in this way: I currently shop in Long Tall sally because I am 6 ft tall. I am not sure if theres such a shop in NZ, so if not, I will be permanently buying sale clothing, due to the opposite seasons!! Bargain!!

PS: been stocking up on my woolies in the sale this week!
Good idea. There's no Long Tall Sally shops here. Farmers is a Department Store similar to Debenhams/BHS. Most things seem to long for me but
I'm 5'2". There's always internet ordering from UK stores if you don't mind paying the carriage fee to NZ.

Warehouse in NZ is like all the non food departments of Tesco. Postie is a clothes shop for good value clothes. Postie Plus just means larger shop floor area. Millers and Glassons are clothes shops too. OK, the quality isn't great but I like to bag a bargain. Well, if they've got my size (to many pies )
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
None of us on using this forum have moved or are moving to NZ on whim - no sane person would given the time, effort and expense such a move incurs. .
I sometimes wonder if a few anecdotes on BE and a few emigrate downunder t.v. shows is the sum total of the, 'loads and loads of research' that some claim to have done. I've heard stories of people bailing out of nz and haven't even unpacked their container. Thus leading to the remark, 'we went on holiday, we just took our furniture with us.'

OK, there'll always be nutters but still.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

First thing I did was check the shipped to NZ!

Cn you get Clinique make up easily or no? AE the kiwis into Internet shopping? (Due to the towns being so far apart)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.