Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What would you regard as a decent salary for Auckland?

What would you regard as a decent salary for Auckland?

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:10 am
Just Joined

TheEngineer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What would you regard as a decent salary for Auckland?

Hi All

An opportunity has arisen for me to come to work in NZ. There are a huge number of issues for me to think about, not least we would be giving up a small business in the UK.

Because of the nature of my job I would have to be based near Auckland and would probably be able to bring over £100,000 with me eventually to use as a house deposit.

I am interested to know from the Brits who have made the move, what they would, knowing what they know now, want as a salary to make NZ a "good move"? Obviously I realise that there is far more to it than money and I am aware of the issue of "same sh*t different bucket" but like many people on here I would hate to regret turning down a job and the chance for a different life.

Thanks

TE
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you regard as a decent salary for Auckland?

Very hard to answer this one. It depends what your expectations are re lifestyle, and what your occupation and skill level is. Average NZ full time income is around $50k I think. As a very rough rule of thumb, double the number of pounds you're used to earning, and if you earn that in dollars you're not far off the mark. This assumes you don't live in Welsh valleys, or somewhere similarly cheap - remember Auckland is NZ's London (with much nicer beaches)
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that LK.

As I said in my original post I have a lot to consider as this would mean a major change in life goals and priorities for me. I also have think of the wife and kids (especially the 16 year old).

Probably not the best time to make a decision as I am swamped with the business at the moment and working some crazy hours to keep up with demand (not that I am complaining!).

TE

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Very hard to answer this one. It depends what your expectations are re lifestyle, and what your occupation and skill level is. Average NZ full time income is around $50k I think. As a very rough rule of thumb, double the number of pounds you're used to earning, and if you earn that in dollars you're not far off the mark. This assumes you don't live in Welsh valleys, or somewhere similarly cheap - remember Auckland is NZ's London (with much nicer beaches)
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Try this for start

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jo...uide/index.htm
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Hi All

An opportunity has arisen for me to come to work in NZ. There are a huge number of issues for me to think about, not least we would be giving up a small business in the UK.

Because of the nature of my job I would have to be based near Auckland and would probably be able to bring over £100,000 with me eventually to use as a house deposit.

I am interested to know from the Brits who have made the move, what they would, knowing what they know now, want as a salary to make NZ a "good move"? Obviously I realise that there is far more to it than money and I am aware of the issue of "same sh*t different bucket" but like many people on here I would hate to regret turning down a job and the chance for a different life.

Thanks

TE
My thoughts are C$100k plus. But if you have a big mortgage and other fiscal responsibilities like kids etc I would say much more. We live in a cheap part of NZ, have no mortgage or debt and we manage to plough thru $83 ish K a year no probs. And that is without regular holidays and being very prudent with our cash flow. We have 3 kids and 2 cats (and a dog on the way)..that is where the money goes I reckon!!!!!!!!!! If we did not have the latter we would spend waaaaaaaaay more in indulgent stuff.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:50 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What would you regard as a decent salary for Auckland?

Originally Posted by Genesis
My thoughts are C$100k plus.
I second that (as a soon to be engineer).
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

NZ average = $50k
Auckland average = $65k
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by colandros
NZ average = $50k
Auckland average = $65k
this quote is good...... however,..... even $65 for Auckland....it maybe average, but it aint enough, really think Genesis has got it more accurate,in fact spot on and from my experience , take heed in what Genesis has to say .....he aint far wrong.... suexx
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the feedback.

It gives me a good sense of where to begin my negotiations!

Any move would be a pretty big deal so I need to weigh up all the options.

Would hate to regret not making the move but then would hate to give everything up in the UK we have worked so hard for and then find out things didn't work in NZ!

Decisions, decisions!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:25 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

There are several threads on here where people detail the real cost of living here, might be better to search for those and come up with a ground-up acceptable salary based on your knowledge of your own spending... or at least it would give you an additional viewpoint.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by simonsi
There are several threads on here where people detail the real cost of living here, might be better to search for those and come up with a ground-up acceptable salary based on your knowledge of your own spending... or at least it would give you an additional viewpoint.
Thanks for that but I think

Originally Posted by simonsi
based on your knowledge of your own spending...
might be more accurately phrased as "based on your knowledge of your wife's spending"
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue1234
this quote is good...... however,..... even $65 for Auckland....it maybe average, but it aint enough, really think Genesis has got it more accurate,in fact spot on and from my experience , take heed in what Genesis has to say .....he aint far wrong.... suexx
Thank you. Apart from investment advice unless you need to lose a whole heap of savings. I am the classic 'buy high sell low' ejit who has lost more money than I can even think about on crap investments. The fool and his money are soon parted. We were.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Apart from investment advice unless you need to lose a whole heap of savings. I am the classic 'buy high sell low' ejit LOL I didn't want to mention that