Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of
Default What would you do?

My head is in a complete spin, and would value any opinions, or perhaps some experiences.

Our Residency visa is in the hands of NZIS London, and we are anticipating being assigned a case officer within the next few days. According to the website it takes 1-3 months to make their final decision.

We've accepted an offer on our house, but looks as though we shall be completed by mid to late March, so shall be homeless.

Do we:
Find a rental .. minimum of 6 months, get visas, plan flights etc for end of rental. We shall have all our stuff in storage so shall have to pay storage AND rent

Camp at relatives. Relatives won't take our dog, so have the nightmare situation of having to find a temp home for her

Request passports back from NZIS and just come to NZ, and wait for PR t be processed in our absense. Biggest fear is what if we are rejected?

My head is in a complete spin ....

Lou
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What would you do?

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou
My head is in a complete spin, and would value any opinions, or perhaps some experiences.

Our Residency visa is in the hands of NZIS London, and we are anticipating being assigned a case officer within the next few days. According to the website it takes 1-3 months to make their final decision.

We've accepted an offer on our house, but looks as though we shall be completed by mid to late March, so shall be homeless.

Do we:
Find a rental .. minimum of 6 months, get visas, plan flights etc for end of rental. We shall have all our stuff in storage so shall have to pay storage AND rent

Camp at relatives. Relatives won't take our dog, so have the nightmare situation of having to find a temp home for her

Request passports back from NZIS and just come to NZ, and wait for PR t be processed in our absense. Biggest fear is what if we are rejected?

Lou
with it being March time couldnt you take a long let on a holiday type cottage or apartment or something like that at least you wouldnt be tied for 6 months or maybe a caravan on a holiday park someone may be glad to let it at that time of year!
Best of luck
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:47 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

My honest opinion would be take a rental and plan your move for the end of the 6 month rental period. A couple of months here or there in the scheme of things is nothing but having a really stressful last few months in the UK (having to rush, stay with in-laws, unsatisfactory arrangements for your dog etc, etc) isn't the best way to start your life over here. you'll be here for summer and Christmas and have a lovely last summer in UK; win-win

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou

Do we:

Lou
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:59 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I wouldn't panic just yet. Wait and see how the house sale progresses. Usually it's a nightmare and the last thing you want is delays and hold ups, but in your case it could work to your advantage!!! And you could always advise your estate agent / solicitor of your preferred date for exchange / completion, although I can understand the anxiety of not wanting to lose your buyer.

Do you have a job offer / start date for work in NZ? That can sometimes go in your favour with the speed of visa processing, but not always.

I certainly wouldn't come over until you've got the green light from NZIS, just in case. If they require any extra paperwork, evidence, or if they think there's a problem with medicals or anything, it could be a nightmare for you to sort if everythings in a container on its way and you're already over here.