Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What should we bring to Christchurch?

What should we bring to Christchurch?

Old Jan 8th 2012, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

xpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nice
Default Re: What should we bring to Christchurch?

Hello All,

Thank you for all your comments. It give us some serious thoughts whether coming to Christchurch will be a permanent move or a temporary one. We experienced 2 major earthquakes in Southern California and many hurricanes in Florida so we are a bit immune to natural disasters to some extent. These factors don't affect our decision to leave as much as the economy crisis and qualify of life to raise our children.

My husband is in construction industry so moving to Christchurch is our best option compared to the north island. We visited Christchurch in August and absolutely felt in love with the place regardless of the town after 2 major earthquakes. We are prepared for that, fortunately.

Since we have room in our 20 foot container, we thought we should bring as much things with us if it's cheaper to acquire in the States than in Christchurch.

Thanks.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:39 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

How do you 'fall in love' with a broken city that is shot to pieces. I tried until I had to admin to myself, 'it's just not working.' Also this, that and five other things are not in operation because of the earthquake damage.
Long way to go for a coffee.

Still, I hope you find somewhere to moor your boat and a field/paddock for your horse. Posts like this make me die. Tell me it's not for real ?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
How do you 'fall in love' with a broken city that is shot to pieces. I tried until I had to admin to myself, 'it's just not working.' Also this, that and five other things are not in operation because of the earthquake damage.
Long way to go for a coffee.

Still, I hope you find somewhere to moor your boat and a field/paddock for your horse. Posts like this make me die. Tell me it's not for real ?
It did not work for you and you left. However, those that want to give it a go, should.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:11 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xpatadventure
Hello All,

Thank you for all your comments. It give us some serious thoughts whether coming to Christchurch will be a permanent move or a temporary one. We experienced 2 major earthquakes in Southern California and many hurricanes in Florida so we are a bit immune to natural disasters to some extent. These factors don't affect our decision to leave as much as the economy crisis and qualify of life to raise our children.

My husband is in construction industry so moving to Christchurch is our best option compared to the north island. We visited Christchurch in August and absolutely felt in love with the place regardless of the town after 2 major earthquakes. We are prepared for that, fortunately.

Since we have room in our 20 foot container, we thought we should bring as much things with us if it's cheaper to acquire in the States than in Christchurch.

Thanks.
That's great!! You are aware of the quake, you've been to visit since and are happy that the risk is no greater than you are prepared for. Sounds reasonable to me. I was just concerned that you were not informed but that is clearly not the case.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:00 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xpatadventure
We were told that prices of sport equipments and household items in NZ are much more expensive than in the US. We currently don't have any belongings so planning to buy everything new.

How about these items?

Appliances, electronics such as computers, iPad, iPod, iPhone, outdoor gears for skiing, hiking, and camping, and a zodiac w/wo an engine, a piano, a guitar, furnitures including new mattresses and linens????

Is it a good idea to bring these with us or better off to get them in NZ?

More suggestions would be great!

Thanks
If you don't bring it you can't lose it, or have it broken in an earthquake.

A piano? are you serious?

Travel light.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I'd be careful if I was you. Do you know where abouts are you living??

If your going to be based around the west of Christchurch, then you'll probably be ok in bringing a piano. I certainly wouldn't contemplate bringing over one if your moving to areas such as New Brighton, Sumner etc. If another big quake happens and that gets damaged, you've got very little chance of getting another one through insurance. Infact what is insurance over here in Christchurch

Whilst we've been here, we've found Dick Smith to be the best place to buy electrical items at a reasonable price. I don't know what the rate is between US and NZ dollars but we recently bought a new printer for $99 and googling it in the UK, the same printer was coming up at around 80 pounds. Old Dick might not provide the best products but they do provide decent ones at decent prices. I prefer them to places like Harvey Rip You Off Norman for example

A wise thing to do would be to go on sites like Kathmandu, Warehouse, Dick Smith etc and compare prices. We did that before coming over to point out where the value for money shops are. Other shops in New Zealand are very expensive i've found.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

xpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nice

Thanks Tom1983,

Your idea is fantastic. I will certainly check out those websites. So bringing a piano doesn't sound that practical after all.

Thanks again for all your comments.