Reload this Page >

What are our options?

What are our options?

Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

WannaB will become famous soon enoughWannaB will become famous soon enough
Default What are our options?

Hi Everyone

We're new to this forum so wanted to say hi and introduce ourselves.

We are a couple with a small child and we are desparate to move to New Zealand however, we are not on the skills shortage list so it looks as if our skills aren't wanted and we have very little chance of getting in via the EOI route.

Does anyone have any other advice about how we can get in to NZ? Is it an option to just go over and find a job (even though it won't be on the skills shortage list?) and then get a work permit? Has anyone done this or does anyone have any good advice for someone in our situation?

Thanks everyone

W
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:02 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are our options?

Originally Posted by WannaB
Is it an option to just go over and find a job (even though it won't be on the skills shortage list?) and then get a work permit? Has anyone done this?
I've met a few who have done it that way...but you'll need steady nerves!

If you don't need to come to NZ immediately, how about getting some of the 'skills' they want and applying later?

What kind of work would you like to do in NZ?
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WannaB
Hi Everyone

We're new to this forum so wanted to say hi and introduce ourselves.

We are a couple with a small child and we are desparate to move to New Zealand however, we are not on the skills shortage list so it looks as if our skills aren't wanted and we have very little chance of getting in via the EOI route.

Does anyone have any other advice about how we can get in to NZ? Is it an option to just go over and find a job (even though it won't be on the skills shortage list?) and then get a work permit? Has anyone done this or does anyone have any good advice for someone in our situation?

Thanks everyone

W
Hiya,

It's exactly what were doing, but it does take some kahounas to do it. Our philosophy is that we don't want to be 70 thinking what if we'd tried it. For uus if it works great, if not then we're having one big long holiday. Maz is also following this route and like me i'm sure if you have any question she'd be happy to help. PM me anytime if you have any questions. or just ask on this forum.

Simon
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

WannaB will become famous soon enoughWannaB will become famous soon enough

thanks for your support guys! Glad to hear there are some others out there with a similar situation.

We both have degrees (OH Geography & me Business) but just unfortunately not in the areas that NZ wants. I guess studying further is an option and I would certainly consider that but I'm not sure what? We are certainly up for a career change if needs be.

It feels quite risky just turning up with a family in tow and hoping to get a job but I agree, I would hate to leave it 10 or 20 years and then look back and say 'wish we'd done it when we had the chance'.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi wannb

is it possible at all to change your degree into a teaching degree, thats only if you are not in a rush to get there, which will give you a better chance.

if you were to go with just a work visa would it be possible to keep your house on in the uk, so that if it does not work out or you dont like it that you could come back to the uk??

i am sure that it will work out for you

with regards

kirstie
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:56 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

You have a degree in business? Perhaps you wouldn't mind teaching business courses to overseas students. There are private tertiary educational (PTE) institutes in New Zealand that offer business certificate and business diploma courses. You may well be able to get a school to sponsor you for a work permit. This will get your foot in the door. Your partner then could apply as a dependent and would be given an open work permit. Once you have those permits and have worked awhile your chances of getting PR really improve.
As far as family in tow, perhaps it is better to have one person come out. secure the job and set up accommodation and have the family follow on. That's sort of what I did. I had a job offer, sure, but the missus and daughter followed on three months later after I got things a little bit sorted out.

Good luck and best wishes.