Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is the NZ forum for?

Old Oct 7th 2013, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is the NZ forum for?

I felt after reading several threads that have been shut down that I needed to ask the question What Is The Purpose Of the NZ Forum?. Because if we all know what the NZ forum is for, in black and white, then we will all know the rules. I'm not being sarcastic, it is a genuinely asked question.

I always thought it was a place for expressing our thoughts and opinions, good, bad or indifferent, a place to share our collective and personal experience with others who have asked questions, or just to post stuff that others may find interesting, in essence a place of community.

I can read everyone's posts with a great degree of objectivity, even the trollers, who, lets face it, are out to cause friction. The 'homeless' ranters from other forums that have closed down?. But I never take what anyone says personally, because it's not about me, how could it be? because not one person on here knows me and I don't know you. But I believe we all have the right to free speech until it gets personally nasty. When it gets personal that's the time to close a thread down, not when someone is just expressing an opinion.

We have all learned things from our expat experience and we all have room to learn more, please let people have their say, but stop the personal attacks, it's just not democratic.

So I ask again, What is the NZ forum for?
Old Oct 7th 2013, 1:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the NZ forum for?

site rules are above.

Mod won't just close a thread they will have reasons, possible PM's from members who have requested it be closed either by the originator, from someone who might feel bullied or just by people complaining about it.
most threads will have advice from the mods or others that things might be going off topic or to far before closing.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You are all going to find this so ironic that you will all be snorting down your noses at me.

Thing is , to me, the opening post is more to question a moderator action or maybe several moderator's actions here on the NZ forum of late than to ask what the NZ BE is all about.

That's fine. It's totally allowed however it shouldn't be done on the open forum.

15. Moderator Actions
Discussions about moderator or administrator actions are welcome in email, or local private messages, but should not be discussed in public forums. This is out of respect for the members, moderators and policy involved.
There are no PMs in my inbox and just one report people. Just as per a week ago when there was a similar discontented thread.

I'll be back to finish this post in a bit..........
Old Oct 8th 2013, 1:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

.....& am back.

So. With regard to the closed threads. This has been discussed with the OP & the matter is now resolved. If anyone else wishes to contact about this, then please feel free to PM. I should be able to be around a bit more after the past 2 hectic days.

This leaves the thread title and question.

"What is the NZ forum for ? "

As we can't speak for each other and can only know what the NZ forum is for us as individuals, I shall now re-open so that the OP has the chance to read what others feel the NZ is for them.

Thanks for your patience.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:02 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsinnz
I felt after reading several threads that have been shut down that I needed to ask the question What Is The Purpose Of the NZ Forum?. Because if we all know what the NZ forum is for, in black and white, then we will all know the rules. I'm not being sarcastic, it is a genuinely asked question.

I always thought it was a place for expressing our thoughts and opinions, good, bad or indifferent, a place to share our collective and personal experience with others who have asked questions, or just to post stuff that others may find interesting, in essence a place of community.
You seem to have nailed the definition here

I can read everyone's posts with a great degree of objectivity, even the trollers, who, lets face it, are out to cause friction. The 'homeless' ranters from other forums that have closed down?. But I never take what anyone says personally, because it's not about me, how could it be? because not one person on here knows me and I don't know you. But I believe we all have the right to free speech until it gets personally nasty. When it gets personal that's the time to close a thread down, not when someone is just expressing an opinion.
And I pretty much agree with you here, apart from although one may have lots to say on a subject, it doesn't necessarily have to be said on every thread, nor every contrary post challenged (apart from where people are racist/homophobic/sexist or just plain indecent- that's always an open invite to be challenged and outed, imo); you (not you or anyone personally, just anyone) may hate/ love NZ but you don't need to express this on EVERY thread to the contrary-- if you hate NZ, just let folk enjoy it from time to time without being a downer and raining on their parade. If you love NZ, just let folk vent (with the disclaimer to decency above) from time to time without rubbing their nose in it that you've found Nirvana.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:27 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

And I pretty much agree with you here, apart from although one may have lots to say on a subject, it doesn't necessarily have to be said on every thread, nor every contrary post challenged (apart from where people are racist/homophobic/sexist or just plain indecent- that's always an open invite to be challenged and outed, imo); you (not you or anyone personally, just anyone) may hate/ love NZ but you don't need to express this on EVERY thread to the contrary-- if you hate NZ, just let folk enjoy it from time to time without being a downer and raining on their parade. If you love NZ, just let folk vent (with the disclaimer to decency above) from time to time without rubbing their nose in it that you've found Nirvana.

Kurt Cobain is alive?????
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:44 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Its to provide a opportunity for immigrants, would be immigrants to ask, explain, rant, and praise all things about the process to moving and living in New Zealand.

Life in NZ, means different things to different people. Which will at times lead to conflicting viewpoints.

Personality speaking (not as a mod), we have a good life here and I feel passionate about this country. For all its faults, it has provided a good life for us and I hope my tone reflects this.

Since becoming a moderator, you have to try and tread a line between respecting peoples opinions and experiences vs policing what you perceive to be rule infringements or trolling. Often action is taken based on a posters history, rather than one isolated incident.

If anyone has any moderation issues, please feel free to contact me via PM. I wont bite!
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

I couldn't agree more, just let people have their say whether they love/hate it here. And it doesn't have to be said on every thread. We don't need to p**s on someones parade. Whatever that parade is.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983

Kurt Cobain is alive?????
a bit late as always, but
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Its to provide a opportunity for immigrants, would be immigrants to ask, explain, rant, and praise all things about the process to moving and living in New Zealand.

Life in NZ, means different things to different people. Which will at times lead to conflicting viewpoints.

Personality speaking (not as a mod), we have a good life here and I feel passionate about this country. For all its faults, it has provided a good life for us and I hope my tone reflects this.

Since becoming a moderator, you have to try and tread a line between respecting peoples opinions and experiences vs policing what you perceive to be rule infringements or trolling. Often action is taken based on a posters history, rather than one isolated incident.

If anyone has any moderation issues, please feel free to contact me via PM. I wont bite!

Are you ok with returning NZ'ers? No offence taken if not.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:38 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marblep
Are you ok with returning NZ'ers? No offence taken if not.
I have no problem with returning Kiwi's or any other sociological group. PM me if you feel the need to discuss this anymore.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Catchafire
I have no problem with returning Kiwi's or any other sociological group. PM me if you feel the need to discuss this anymore.
Thanks Catchafire, it wasn't intended to sound rude. My apologies if it did. No need to PM you, nowt more to say.