Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What Happened to the Haka??

What Happened to the Haka??

Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:36 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Happened to the Haka??

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I think that the support and loyalty of the crowd comes after that.

The cultural and spiritual significance of the Haka is important to the players on a much deeper level than just an anthem.
We (in our house) understand the significance and meaning behind the Haka but on the world stage its just viewed as a "performance" by joe Public which is why its trivialized.

(God I'm using big words tonight!)
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:38 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

From your perspective. To me the best sound in the world is the Haka performed in the House of Pain.
In my imagination the best sound in a rugby stadium is Dan Carter saying, "Loolah, take me, I'm yours?" Just me ... AGAIN?????
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:40 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
In my imagination the best sound in a rugby stadium is Dan Carter saying, "Loolah, take me, I'm yours?" Just me ... AGAIN?????
God woman you're obsessed!! :scared:
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:42 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
We (in our house) understand the significance and meaning behind the Haka but on the world stage its just viewed as a "performance" by joe Public which is why its trivialized.

(God I'm using big words tonight!)

And that goes back to what i said.

New Zealand and the Kiwis i am privileged to be friends with, in my experience, has never needed the endorsement or approval of anyone else to validate their existence. They are, and thats all that is important.

And that is exactly how the team feel. It is about the team, not the others on the pitch or in the stadium. The Haka taps into a deep Psyche of personal and team pride that is so laking in life.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
God woman you're obsessed!! :scared:
WHAT???? Am merely trying to support hubby's home team!!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:45 pm

And that goes back to what i said.

New Zealand and the Kiwis i am privileged to be friends with, in my experience, has never needed the endorsement or approval of anyone else to validate their existence. They are, and thats all that is important.

And that is exactly how the team feel. It is about the team, not the others on the pitch or in the stadium. The Haka taps into a deep Psyche of personal and team pride that is so laking in life.
Ditto that - positive, pride, respect!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:29 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

... To me the best sound in the world is the Haka performed in the House of Pain.
Thats pretty good too,
especially when myself and the crowd for the boks game suddenly realised we were seeing history being made. I still remember the buzz as 22 fists came off the turf and "Au, au, aue hā!".