Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is it with grey?

What is it with grey?

Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of
Default Re: What is it with grey?

Originally Posted by danny.f
The beige and brown squares are now cream,(daughters), the four red walls are now 1,with 3 white(son is a Liverpool fan-couldn't let him down), but stunningly the lilac and green still rules (son,4 doesn't care and we skint!!).
Ours is still virginal white (14 years married-seems ironically appropriate), and the hall is the same. Living room we got used to!

Daughter No.1 got a no expense spared nursery, but poor No 2 squashed into the box room/office/hubby's escape pad/junk room when visitors arrive unexpectedly. Now they share Number Ones room. Millie and Boris border ripped off the wall! Lipstick and wax crayon artwork adorns the lower half. Chewed up blackened food and squash stains on the carpet!! No point having anything decent is there!!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:07 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou

Daughter No.1 got a no expense spared nursery, but poor No 2 squashed into the box room/office/hubby's escape pad/junk room when visitors arrive unexpectedly. Now they share Number Ones room. Millie and Boris border ripped off the wall! Lipstick and wax crayon artwork adorns the lower half. Chewed up blackened food and squash stains on the carpet!! No point having anything decent is there!!
OH, I remember those days!! Weetabix was always a devil to remove, seemed to take half the plaster with it!

We live in Magnolia land - all MOD houses are painted with it. I just lurve colours. I'm going to go mad when we get our own place!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

I did plan on being very strict. All meals at the table etc etc. but it didn't last!!

My friend Frenchie in Blenheim has a lovely pink kitchenSo there is some hope for us!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:30 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

This is the third house we've redecorated and in the first two (I'm a slow learner ) it was trial and error - it wasn't unknown to paint the same room twice or even three times! This time though I got the Dulux colour schemes cards - blues/greens/yellows/browns/reds etc.etc. and it's worked wonderfully. I've basically got three colours throughout the house - an off white for the ceilings and then got it made up in enamel to do the woodwork and light and dark mushroomy colours for the walls and the fourth colour is dark brown for the accessories and carpet (although we didn't go really dark for the carpet - still works though).
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:37 pm

Lemon Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Terry Wogan & his TOGS would love our house. It's shades of beige . I'm feeling quite thankful now though cos I hate grey. Still, can't wait to introduce some colour.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi;6004016

Now that I have children, I need calm neutral colours. Hints of pale blue/green are as colourful as I can go. [/QUOTE]

I agree - neutral is much more calming. Cream throughout or magnolia throughout is fine, just not grey throughout though!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou
: Lipstick and wax crayon artwork adorns the lower half. Chewed up blackened food and squash stains on the carpet!! No point having anything decent is there!!
I know when we were redecorating with a view to the house going on the market in 12mths time my hubby wanted to put carpet back down instead of more laminate!!!! I said are you INSANE!!!!! all I do is wipe up squashed in food, spilt drinks and potty training say no more!!!!! Needless to say laminate won! all our furniture sofa etc is now of wipe clean materials. And all the walls are all in washable paint finishes, its only way we can keep it remotely (show home!!!:curse
Those house doctor programmes have alot to answer for, before people expected the tidy lived in look!! Now the expect SHOW HOME!! thank god my hubby has a van, when we had a viewer half the house was shoved out there. Kids toys, Laundry and loads of other junk he could burley shut the doors!! Did the trick though house never been so neat and uncluttered and got an offer Hope to god they don't back out!!!!

I must be alittle freaky though really like the grey, esp the kitchens and bathrooms don't think I'd like it in the whole house!!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave.and.lisa
I must be alittle freaky though really like the grey, esp the kitchens and bathrooms don't think I'd like it in the whole house!!
Not so freaky...a light grey in a kitchen is fine but the whole house??? Surely the main argument for neutrals apart from offending no one (good for selling, good for tenants) is that they make rooms appear larger..the darker the colour, the smaller the room seems.

One quite nice house we looked at in Karori had dark muddy browny/green walls in the lounge...I just could not have lived with that. It was probably a 'heritage' colour I felt instantly depressed just walking in there.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

"Those house doctor programmes have alot to answer for, before people expected the tidy lived in look!! Now the expect SHOW HOME!! thank god my hubby has a van, when we had a viewer half the house was shoved out there. Kids toys, Laundry and loads of other junk he could burley shut the doors!! "

You sound just like me!! no one ever turns up to our house when it is nice and tidy. Mother in law turned up last week. I had been up in the night as youngets had chicken pox, i wasn't even dressed. The house looked like it had been attacked with a scud missile. SO embarrassing!!!

PL
xx