Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is it with grey?

What is it with grey?

Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:00 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default What is it with grey?

. . . i'm looking at houses (as is my want) and grey seems to be the trendy colour - did the navy order too much and this is all that is cheap? I know magnolia is a stale colour now but grey? One house I looked at had grey walls, grey carpet and a grey kitchen? It looked like John Major must have lived there - and this was new build! Is grey paint and carpet cheap? What is going on?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:10 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it with grey?

Originally Posted by spid View Post
. . . i'm looking at houses (as is my want) and grey seems to be the trendy colour - did the navy order too much and this is all that is cheap? I know magnolia is a stale colour now but grey? One house I looked at had grey walls, grey carpet and a grey kitchen? It looked like John Major must have lived there - and this was new build! Is grey paint and carpet cheap? What is going on?

I agree. Don't like it much, apart from in villas where it can look quite cool. Although white still seems to look better in kitchens IMO.

So have you noticed the (worse) fetish with navy blue? And cheap kitchens in beige, white or navy blue, presumably from the same DIY store now that you've got me going!

Now because I like balance, I would like to finish this post by saying that there are some truly beautiful breath taking homes out there too. They just cost an absolute fortune - even by UK standards usually!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:03 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi View Post
I agree. Don't like it much, apart from in villas where it can look quite cool. Although white still seems to look better in kitchens IMO.

So have you noticed the (worse) fetish with navy blue? And cheap kitchens in beige, white or navy blue, presumably from the same DIY store now that you've got me going!

Now because I like balance, I would like to finish this post by saying that there are some truly beautiful breath taking homes out there too. They just cost an absolute fortune - even by UK standards usually!
Yes, did notice some rather garish kitchens! Thinking get a do-er up-er might be the way to go cos then i can make it what i like, unless I can find a new build where i can give imput. Can't afford those REALLY nice houses.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:48 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Pity me then. I work with photos of houses all the time and it's like the more expensive they are, the less imagination people have! I'm so over this minimalist thing - what's wrong with warm and cosy? And wood. Lots and lots of wood. Next house we buy, I want to put in our own kitchen.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:41 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

i call them filing cabinets. I went to an open home and the estate agent was showing me all these 'earthy colours' - i said its grey.

oh but very popular in NZ - and I said look, if I wanted to live in a filing cabinet, I would just stay in the office and not come home. Its dreadful - and walked out.

Some of the newer estate just look like a series of in and out trays.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:48 pm
The Wicked One

Originally Posted by Batty View Post
Pity me then. I work with photos of houses all the time and it's like the more expensive they are, the less imagination people have! I'm so over this minimalist thing - what's wrong with warm and cosy? And wood. Lots and lots of wood. Next house we buy, I want to put in our own kitchen.
lots of pity sent your way! I'd prefer to see colour at least it indicates the owner had a bit of character then i might visualise myself living there too!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:05 am

Lemon Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Worst kitchen I've seen is Aubergine - horrific! Ours is brown & I can't wait to change it.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:07 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

What are you complaining about? My whole house is dusky pink!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Spudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really nice
Smile Re: What is it with grey?

I rent my house. its pants. Its a 1950's special. I also share my garden with the entire NZ population of bighty things, noisy green things and some things i cant even find names for in books. Mind you the cat has a rare old time chasing and eating them. Happy days. Living the dream.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:34 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
I rent my house. its pants. Its a 1950's special. I also share my garden with the entire NZ population of bighty things, noisy green things and some things i cant even find names for in books. Mind you the cat has a rare old time chasing and eating them. Happy days. Living the dream.
karma your way - you just made me giggle!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:29 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

my hair and beard are grey.... am i earthy too??
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

I know what you mean Spid!

We are constantly looking on Trademe, and they all seem to be bland grey -well, in our price range anyway he he!

What's wrong with a nice bit of Terracotta I say!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:25 am
The Wicked One

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou View Post

I know what you mean Spid!

We are constantly looking on Trademe, and they all seem to be bland grey -well, in our price range anyway he he!

What's wrong with a nice bit of Terracotta I say!
Or mushroom, or ecru, even magnolia but grey is soooooooooooo bland. Personally i like a feature wall of a striking colour. ANd either wood kitchen units or sometime along the line of a shaker style (painted cream)
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

It's all a bit Prisoner Cell Block H isn't it!!

I have to admit to being a lover of Beige, cream. brown. With a bit of green thrown in. Now they are "earthy" tones.

Am planning on being more extravagant in my NZ home. Purple bedroom, perhaps with shocking pink carpet??

Maybe that'll be the girls room! Beige just gets Sooooooo boring after 5 years!!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:46 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou View Post
It's all a bit Prisoner Cell Block H isn't it!!

I have to admit to being a lover of Beige, cream. brown. With a bit of green thrown in. Now they are "earthy" tones.

Am planning on being more extravagant in my NZ home. Purple bedroom, perhaps with shocking pink carpet??

Maybe that'll be the girls room! Beige just gets Sooooooo boring after 5 years!!
God....you have just descrobed my earthy new colour schemes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.