Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What food etc do you miss from U.K

What food etc do you miss from U.K

Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:27 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: What food etc do you miss from U.K

Originally Posted by NZBee
I miss being able to get really nice ready made sandwiches from M and S and Pret a Manger for lunch. Especially prawn sandwiches! You never see a prawn sandwich in NZ.....unless someone knows better!!
You must be Manchester United fan?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of

Hi Caz....

Do you know where ASB bank is????

Andrea x
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by theduke
You must be Manchester United fan?
Urghhhh!!! No!!!!

Liverpool!!!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:22 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Bizarre off topic posts!

Back to the OT ... I guess it would depend how long your friends have been in NZ now as to what they miss and what they may have now acclimatised to?

I don't miss any foods, but I miss the ease of having everything you could possibly want all under one roof - like with Asda or Tescos. I still struggle sometimes wandering up and down the aisles wondering what to buy to mix it up a bit! There isn't the same choice here for sure.

We were in Hastings for the weekend and the New World there was just fantastic - like a farmer's market and a SALAD BAR!!!! A bakery, fishmongers, butchers, deli and even a chocolate thinggy! I saw pork pies and scotch eggs too!

I have a friend who goes to a UK shop to buy Walkers crisps - specifically Prawn Cocktail and Cheese & Onion. Oh and pickled onion Monster Munch! Other must haves I have heard of are Paxo stuffing, shredded suet ... and decent sausages - but we have that covered in Papamoa courtesy of Margaret Parkinson's son-in-law!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Unsmoked rashers
Gammon.
Trout that can be bought. I am no fisherman.
Malt loaf.
Shop bought cake and doughnuts - for husband.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
I missed rowies until December when I found a baker in Auckland who makes them and sends them up to me!!! Honestly my life was complete!
What are rowies?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I miss good sausages, a better selection of hams and cooked meats, pork pies and cranberry pies. And, decent bread. The bread here is horrid, all pale and peely, wally. Miss the French bread and crisp, crunchy loafs. Don't miss the crisps as I thinki the NZ ones are good. Wagonwheels and Bendicts chocolates also missed.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
I miss good sausages, a better selection of hams and cooked meats, pork pies and cranberry pies. And, decent bread. The bread here is horrid, all pale and peely, wally. Miss the French bread and crisp, crunchy loafs. Don't miss the crisps as I thinki the NZ ones are good. Wagonwheels and Bendicts chocolates also missed.

Where do you live I know where there is a good butchers who makes all his own sausages, pork pies and gammon as well.

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Feb 10th 2009 at 3:39 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
What are rowies?
A rowie is a delicacy of the North east of Scotland also known as a buttery. These are round, flat (almost look squashed ),buttery and flaky pastry like and are great hot with jam on! A bit like the base of a Danish Pastry but nicer.

Phyl x
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
A rowie is a delicacy of the North east of Scotland also known as a buttery. These are round, flat (almost look squashed ),buttery and flaky pastry like and are great hot with jam on! A bit like the base of a Danish Pastry but nicer.

Phyl x
never heard of them before lol
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Unsmoked rashers
Gammon.
Malt loaf.
we bought beautiful unsmoked bacon at weekend same as stuff back home we bought it in pac and save then noticed they have it in new world also

making my mouth water now lol
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Bake your own bread, we buy 5kg bags of flour for $6ish & get about 12 loaves from it.
Far nicer than any supermarket bread & far cheaper
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Unsmoked rashers
Gammon.
Malt loaf.
You can get malt loaves in some of the supermarkets here. But they are not as good as the home made ones.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZBee
I miss being able to get really nice ready made sandwiches from M and S and Pret a Manger for lunch. Especially prawn sandwiches! You never see a prawn sandwich in NZ.....unless someone knows better!!
A prawn sandwich ...
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bellasmum
You can get malt loaves in some of the supermarkets here.
Originally Posted by carolineshewan
we bought beautiful unsmoked bacon at weekend same as stuff back home we bought it in pac and save then noticed they have it in new world also

making my mouth water now lol
Doing my head in now. I've heard before about these things being available before but I have yet to find the items in the supermarkets in and around Nelson. I did enquire in our latest New World store and the bloke didn't know what I was on about.

Originally Posted by bellasmum
But they are not as good as the home made ones
Depends on whose baking........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.