Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd bought BEFORE moving to NZ?

What do you wish you'd bought BEFORE moving to NZ?

Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:50 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you'd bought BEFORE moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I'm sure the OP can do without the obtuse comments about their likelihood to settle and get on here or not, based upon their vacuum cleaner preferences.
Thats me told.. Although I stand by the opinion that you have to be prepared to leave the UK behind to truely settle, and that stuff is just stuff. (I didn't think the connection was that obtuse, although it is a fine word to slip into any conversation.)

Right back to the point of the thread.. and I shall keep me gob shut and climb back under my stone.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:22 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Most days I just regret not bringing the things that were to my eyes then worn out and knackered: "oh look at our old couch, it's a heap of shite, let's sell it on ebay and buy a new one in NZ" Duh! I now have three couches here and the only one I bought new cost an eye watering fortune and has bust already. Thank goodness for the Salvation Army shop and TM. I brought out my dyson- I was even too cheap to replace the filter and just gave to to my ma to post to me when I had an address. I suggest you bring EVERYTHING you own- down to the last scrubbed plastic plant pot. I don't recommend stocking up on shampoo and so on because of two reasons- 1) you've got to get used to Kiwi stuff eventually and you're only delaying the inevitable 2) no point moaning about not being able to get anything in NZ if we don't spend our dollars here. I try to buy NZ made as much as possible.

On a bad day the thing I most regret not buying was a return ticket. I think feeling like that sometimes is normal though- good luck for your move!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
no Target in Welly.
There's a Target store in Porirua (next to Bunnings Warehouse I think, on the hill behind the main shopping area) - so not exactly far away!

Their stock is the closest to Ikea I've seen in NZ. The chest of drawers we've bought from them was similar in price and quality.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:30 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

also:
running shoes
hiking gear
raincoats

soap
toothpaste
loopaper(JOKE)!
But after you have lived here on a meagre income for a few years you wish you had brought everything with you!
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

yorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the rough

Would definately agree with raincoats. My husband and 3 kids all had new raincoats from Millets before we came and I wish I had bought myself one too. I priced them up in Kathmandu at about $400. Got the same type but North Face jacket for £70 on the Millets website and had it delivered to my Dad, who very kindly posted it on for me
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

liz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really nice

Well, having grown up in Australia and also having lived in Germany, I'm not particularly precious about "stuff" as I've been ruthless each time and sorted out what I need to ship round with me and what not, and a vacuum cleaner is really neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things, but as I haven't made the move yet, I thought I might as well ask the question of people who've made it before me. Very interesting perspectives on some of the simple things that I'd never realised were so expensive/unavailable in NZ!

And yeah, I bet some days I'm going to wish I'd bought a return ticket as well. At least home for me is only over the Ditch and not back in the UK!
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

SparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really nice

My family and friends lol.......bring hayfever tablets and greetings cards, both are so expensive here and pants. Literally, bring pants !!!!!!

Go to asda and buy half a dozen multi socket boards to save you changing 10 plugs to nz ones on your TV/vid/etc. Just change one on the multi socket thingy. (Sockets rated at 10 amps here though and not 13 amps so dont overload sockets).

Gravy granules dont exist here and neither do trsansformer snax....mmmmmm

Outdoor gear is needed here and not cheap, treat yourself to a nice fleece for winter and waterproofs / boots. (if youre an adventurer).

This thread draws you into having a moan, unintentionally so to balance things up, I have to say that the sun, sea, clean air and views make up for material stuff we can't now afford one one wage.....Nz is paradise....just wish my beautiful extended family were here to share it :sunglasses:
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

mcgarnagle will become famous soon enoughmcgarnagle will become famous soon enough

I arrived in the country a little under 2 years ago as a backpacker with 17.5 kg of luggage.

I'm now a permanent resident.

I have so much stuff at home I'd love to bring over (basically all of my worldly goods).

I'll get round to it one day.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:48 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a few bits in the sale at www.craghoppers.com and so so glad we did. I got a good raincoat for £25 - here the equivalent is ~$300. Same with fleeces and tramping trousers. We also got the in laws to bring stuff from craghoppers over when they visited this year.

I do believe craghoppers deliver to NZ though, but not sure how much they charge.

I bought a second hand Dyson about a year before we moved and so glad we did, because uprights are hard to come by here (as others have mentioned).

Aside from that, no too much that I wish I'd bought before we moved. Not had to buy tools here, as the stuff we had has lasted us so far.

We've bought / replaced most of our furniture since we've been here (only been here 17 months), and we've been very impressed with the quality of the stuff we've bought and the price we paid.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
The other option is not to worry about it, if a vacuum is a big issue to you I fear you may regret your move....
Waah! We arrived with no vacuum coz the last one in the UK was a broken Henry which OH half-inched from an NHS skip and then repaired. It was a great sucker.

Skips just aren't the same here.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Skips just aren't the same here.
I blame Trademe, cos most of the rubbish is for sale on there.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:30 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Colin Farrell sorry tipsy
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:40 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by love30stm
Colin Farrell sorry tipsy
Does he do vacuuming?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:42 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sheene
Does he do vacuuming?
who cares im daydreaming or should i say nightdreaming
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:45 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by love30stm
who cares im daydreaming or should i say nightdreaming
Sorry, my fault, I thought this was a thread about vacuum cleaning. Why do people say 'I have a Dyson Hoover', that's like saying 'I have a BMW Fiat'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.