Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you think? Ship or Store

What do you think? Ship or Store

Old May 14th 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you think? Ship or Store

I've been talking to loads of recruitment agencies, who have all said, my best option would be to go out to NZ on a visitors visa and get a job out there, and the've all said i saidn't have a problem getting a job. We've thought about it and were doing it, but my dilema is whether i should ship my stuff out to NZ or store it on the safe side in the UK. On one hand being the pessimist if i don't get a job, then i won't have spent all my money getting the stuff out there to then ship it back. But being the optimist, i won't have to wait as long for my gear as i'll have got myself a job. Would have found a home ready to furnish it with. What do you reckon Ship or Store? I won't hold you responsible for your advice...
Old May 14th 2007, 1:01 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: What do you think? Ship or Store

Store it on the dock. When you are in and going along great guns in your job ship the stuff over. You can get by on hired goods and basic stuff from the Warehouse until your treasures arrive.
You should be renting a house or flat a while anyway, right?
Old May 14th 2007, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Store it on the dock. When you are in and going along great guns in your job ship the stuff over. You can get by on hired goods and basic stuff from the Warehouse until your treasures arrive.
You should be renting a house or flat a while anyway, right?
Yep, been contacting real estate agents for rental propoerties both furnished and unfurnished, but without our stuff anywhere's going to feel like a holiday home.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:14 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Yep, been contacting real estate agents for rental propoerties both furnished and unfurnished, but without our stuff anywhere's going to feel like a holiday home.
A holiday home, eh? Sounds okay to me until your stuff arrives.
Old May 14th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happynz
A holiday home, eh? Sounds okay to me until your stuff arrives.
You should have seen our accomdation in plimmerton, it really was the proverbial NZ Shed.
Old May 14th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been talking to loads of recruitment agencies, who have all said, my best option would be to go out to NZ on a visitors visa and get a job out there, and the've all said i saidn't have a problem getting a job. We've thought about it and were doing it, but my dilema is whether i should ship my stuff out to NZ or store it on the safe side in the UK. On one hand being the pessimist if i don't get a job, then i won't have spent all my money getting the stuff out there to then ship it back. But being the optimist, i won't have to wait as long for my gear as i'll have got myself a job. Would have found a home ready to furnish it with. What do you reckon Ship or Store? I won't hold you responsible for your advice...
Hi,
As far as im aware you cant ship your stuff over here until you have a work permit. We came as visitors in Nov, OH got a job, due to xmas permit did'nt arrive until Jan. Contacted removal company in England that had been storing our stuff, sent them a copy of work permit, they arranged to ship it for us. Hope this helps.
Carole
Old May 14th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,
As far as im aware you cant ship your stuff over here until you have a work permit. We came as visitors in Nov, OH got a job, due to xmas permit did'nt arrive until Jan. Contacted removal company in England that had been storing our stuff, sent them a copy of work permit, they arranged to ship it for us. Hope this helps.
Carole
It certainly does. Can i ask was it expensive to store your stuff with the removal company before they shipped it?
Old May 15th 2007, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly does. Can i ask was it expensive to store your stuff with the removal company before they shipped it?
I think it was around one hundred and seventy pounds a month for a 20 ft container amount, it may have been slightly more. Worked like clockwork with bringing it over then.
Carole