Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What brought you to the British Expats Forum

What brought you to the British Expats Forum

Old Aug 18th 2013, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Kin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to all
Default Re: What brought you to the British Expats Forum

Google for me too - really wish I'd found it 4 years earlier.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Microsoft Search Engine bought me here
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixiewink
Interested to know how you ended up on this forum...

By following the drowsy sound of cicadas... and the slightly acrid scent of vaguely bitter regrets, mixed with factor 25 sunblock and fresh fejoias, all borne on the smoke of a sausage sizzle.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Google and we used to use "that other" forum too ;-)

Gill
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:22 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Choccie
Hi

For me I was looking for some support and to accept that I wasn't going mad! I have to say that I have found just that.

I found this forum in my days of desperation. I felt I was alone in my ways of thinking and felt I was going mad. So I picked up my iPad and searched for some support. luckily I found you lot.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for listening to me moan and winge, laughing at my funny bits and for being there. It has made the world of difference to know I'm not mad (even if everyone else tells me that I am).
Old Aug 19th 2013, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think I started posting way back in 2009 (?) because I was desperately homesick after having my first daughter in London. Had never had an ounce of homesickness before and it hit me like a tonne of bricks. I also had a British husband, so began doing some "research".

It has been a great learning curve and although this site usually sends me mental most days with the sniping and fighting, I have found it invaluable to read about other people's experiences and to share my own

Last edited by dannigirl; Aug 19th 2013 at 2:04 am. Reason: 2009!!!
Old Aug 19th 2013, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Desperation in our quest to move down under!
Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:01 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purrball
By following the drowsy sound of cicadas.
If that's your idea of drowsy, what's a frenetic, incessant, stress inducing, shrill rasp to you ?

I would rather have the sound of one thousand lawnmowers than that summer spoiling cacophony of those blasted cicadas.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 19th 2013 at 2:03 am.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:21 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I just checked - it was way back in 2009 and probably via Google. As a kiwi expat of 24 years I always had that niggling feeling that I should go back. I came on the site to read all the reasons why I SHOULDN'T return to NZ, and when I was offered a new job I considered that the end of the matter. But a couple of other personal things happened which made me think again, and when I was made redundant from said job, I decided to give it a go. I considered it a trial and left my house in the UK rented out, and I now feel confident enough to have decided to stay in NZ.

I had a month back there in July, during the heatwave, and nothing tempted me to stay (although I did spend a lot of time in Waitrose and Marks! LOL). Came back with a full suitcase too.

I genuinely think that both countries have a lot to offer, and it probably depends on what is important to you in your life as to which will suit you best. I'm probably one of those people who will fit in anywhere, so that makes it easier - sort of.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Purrball
By following the drowsy sound of cicadas... and the slightly acrid scent of vaguely bitter regrets, mixed with factor 25 sunblock and fresh fejoias, all borne on the smoke of a sausage sizzle.
This is what I wanted to here.......

Not that GOOGLE brought you here folks...

Maybe I should have asked the question differently.....

Perhaps: Why did you seek such a site?
Old Aug 19th 2013, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I found this forum in my days of desperation. I felt I was alone in my ways of thinking and felt I was going mad. So I picked up my iPad and searched for some support. luckily I found you lot.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for listening to me moan and winge, laughing at my funny bits and for being there. It has made the world of difference to know I'm not mad (even if everyone else tells me that I am).
all good pippalonghorn......seems we have so much in common.....I love laughing at your funny bits you write...they make my day......

Yes its great to know that you are not mad.....the reassurance on this site is great....
Old Aug 19th 2013, 6:28 am
Hello World!

anthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I wanted to here.......

Not that GOOGLE brought you here folks...

Maybe I should have asked the question differently.....

Perhaps: Why did you seek such a site?
Because every experience matters...
Old Aug 19th 2013, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmh
I genuinely think that both countries have a lot to offer, and it probably depends on what is important to you in your life as to which will suit you best. I'm probably one of those people who will fit in anywhere, so that makes it easier - sort of.
Great story...thanks for sharing...

I think you are right "that both countries have a lot to offer" and I think it depends on where you are at in your life's journey as to how we perceive what the country you are in has to offer!!! When we moved here...this was the right place to be with my kids & OH, but as time has gone things have changed for me....

2 maybe 4 years ago I would have written a very positive upbeat story/update on my life in NZ on this forum & would have challenged some of the negative quotes....coz most part it has been - positive, otherwise I wouldn't have been here for 8 years I suppose......

But then life throws curved balls....sometimes we dodge them, sometimes we go with the flow....sometimes they hit you where it hurts...

where do you call HOME?

I always refer to the UK as HOME..... I have a home here in NZ, which is a piece of dirt with a house on it, but it's not my HOME! if that makes sense...it's not where feel I belong...I feel like a visitor...possibly as you are so often reminded that you are not from here......by people around you...at work, in the supermarket , in a café, "ooh how long you on holiday for, where you heading?" ......"well I have been here for 8 years, and if its any of your business I am heading to pick the kids up"

Just my ranting thoughts....I often start writing and can't stop...its such good therapy.....

Sorry folks!!!!
Old Aug 19th 2013, 7:03 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

all good pippalonghorn......seems we have so much in common.....I love laughing at your funny bits you write...they make my day......

Yes its great to know that you are not mad.....the reassurance on this site is great....
Right back at ya kid.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

When I first came to BE doing 'research' 2004 /2005, it was a bit of a scary place with NZ being all wrapped up with the Aussie forum and so very difficult to find any meaningful info and discussion about little ole NZ without wading through pages of Aussie stuff. Back in 'those days' we were very much reliant on glimpses of scenes of NZ in films, TV shows and whatever it had to say in the Lonely Planet. We used to search the TV listings and look at travel guides for anything remotely NZ related.

So we just kind of wandered off on our own little way but I found my way back to BE after having arrived here in NZ and feeling like a bit of a lost sheep, with no job and my head had gone to mush with regards to where things were and how they worked here. I think by then the NZ forum had broken away from the mothership and found its own place in the world.

We're still trying to figure some of those things out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.