Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We've reached our 6 month milestone!

We've reached our 6 month milestone!

Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default We've reached our 6 month milestone!

Yes - the Planty family have been in NZ for 6 whole months! The time has just flown by! Soon we'll be putting down firm roots because we've paid the deposit on our house here in sunny Timaru, and we move in at the beginning of March.

What do we think of NZ so far.....
We've got lots of positives:
NZ is a beautiful place; so many wide open spaces to explore! We camped at Lake Tekapo in January, and that's just a stunning place to be (both by day and by night - no light pollution, so the star show is amazing!). Equally, Timaru is surrounded by lovely scenery, and we've been renting right next to Centennial Park and have made the most of all the tracks for long walks to wear out the children!
We have been made to feel so welcome here. Our boys quickly made friends at their new school, and they are forever having friends round, or going off to friends. On their second day at school, one of the Mums gave us a homemade meatloaf and some homemade muffins to say 'welcome' and because she'd heard that we'd just moved into our rental and didn't have any of our furniture etc yet.... how kind was that?! Our neighbours have been fab; we were invited next door for a Christmas party (and they even had presents for us all from Santa! Bless!!). Everywhere we go, people are interested to know why we came to NZ, and why we chose Timaru, but we have encountered no animosity.
Lots of the little gripes that used to be a stress in the UK just aren't a problem here. In the UK we lived in a street where parking was a nightmare (used to drive Planty mad!! ); the homes around here mostly have off street parking, and having a drive and a garage has been bliss! I used to hate taking the children out for walks, or to the park, because it was always an obstacle course of avoiding the dog poo and the litter, but it isn't a big problem here. Our children have turned native, and bare feet are the norm on sunny days. I had quite a pressured job in the UK - hardly had time for family things, even at weekends; I've just started a full time teaching job here, and although I bring work home with me, it isn't in the volume that I used to, and I have lots more time for fun with the family, and for writing long messages on BE!
Of course, nowhere in the world can be perfect, and it is hard being so far away from family/ friends. Getting used to different shops (and half day closing on Saturdays in Timaru!) took a little while, but it all just feels normal now.
We took such a big leap of faith coming to NZ - we hadn't visited before, and after doing lots of 'long distance' research, we just had a hunch that Timaru was the place for us. Thank goodness it's all worked out alright!.
As Planty says, it has been the best decision we ever made.
Here's to the next 6 months!

Debbie.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 4:27 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've reached our 6 month milestone!

Sounds like you've done a great job of settling in, and congrats on your 6 month anniversary!

Your post sounds so chilled out and relaxed, it is clear that you feel you've done the right thing, and good on ya for taking the plunge.

All the best for the next six months, six years, and six decades

Wiz'n'Ton
Old Feb 18th 2007, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nigel & Debbie
well done on reaching 6 months - it's been great meeting you and being able to journey along with you. Hope the job is going well and that the house move is smooth.
Take care
Lee & Vicki
Old Feb 18th 2007, 6:40 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by planty
Yes - the Planty family have been in NZ for 6 whole months! The time has just flown by! Soon we'll be putting down firm roots because we've paid the deposit on our house here in sunny Timaru, and we move in at the beginning of March.

What do we think of NZ so far.....
We've got lots of positives:
NZ is a beautiful place; so many wide open spaces to explore! We camped at Lake Tekapo in January, and that's just a stunning place to be (both by day and by night - no light pollution, so the star show is amazing!). Equally, Timaru is surrounded by lovely scenery, and we've been renting right next to Centennial Park and have made the most of all the tracks for long walks to wear out the children!
We have been made to feel so welcome here. Our boys quickly made friends at their new school, and they are forever having friends round, or going off to friends. On their second day at school, one of the Mums gave us a homemade meatloaf and some homemade muffins to say 'welcome' and because she'd heard that we'd just moved into our rental and didn't have any of our furniture etc yet.... how kind was that?! Our neighbours have been fab; we were invited next door for a Christmas party (and they even had presents for us all from Santa! Bless!!). Everywhere we go, people are interested to know why we came to NZ, and why we chose Timaru, but we have encountered no animosity.
Lots of the little gripes that used to be a stress in the UK just aren't a problem here. In the UK we lived in a street where parking was a nightmare (used to drive Planty mad!! ); the homes around here mostly have off street parking, and having a drive and a garage has been bliss! I used to hate taking the children out for walks, or to the park, because it was always an obstacle course of avoiding the dog poo and the litter, but it isn't a big problem here. Our children have turned native, and bare feet are the norm on sunny days. I had quite a pressured job in the UK - hardly had time for family things, even at weekends; I've just started a full time teaching job here, and although I bring work home with me, it isn't in the volume that I used to, and I have lots more time for fun with the family, and for writing long messages on BE!
Of course, nowhere in the world can be perfect, and it is hard being so far away from family/ friends. Getting used to different shops (and half day closing on Saturdays in Timaru!) took a little while, but it all just feels normal now.
We took such a big leap of faith coming to NZ - we hadn't visited before, and after doing lots of 'long distance' research, we just had a hunch that Timaru was the place for us. Thank goodness it's all worked out alright!.
As Planty says, it has been the best decision we ever made.
Here's to the next 6 months!

Debbie.
Welcome ( belated) to New Zealand,

We hope your stay will remain the same as it has started out. We have been here two years now and are loving it.

Our first year was a bit of a roller-coaster with immigration etc but in saying that we came here on visitors visas determined to make it work and it did.

You are so right, NZ is a "lifestyle" and you have the opportunity to really live whilst doing the norm , work, buying a house blah blah.

THe dog poo thing is great as our wee lad can run around the beach, park or pavements and none.

THe play park facilities here for kids is awesome and well maintained.

In general NZ is an awesome place to bring up your family.

It's the Kiwi way and we are becoming Kiwi's

Yup...........

Good luck & take care
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Debbie

What a lovely positive thread.
Glad to hear everything is working out well. We have been here 8 months and also love our new life.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:50 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Everyday life always has it's grumbles but in general we also love it here. We have been here since the start of October and I now can't imagine going back to the UK to live. I am aware that things change and we may feel differently in the future but at the moment and the forseeable future, this is where we want to be.
I guess we have been really lucky in that we haven't had any homesickness - I appreciate that must have a huge impact on those who suffer with it. My heartfelt sympathy to those who have a hard time.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:54 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic

Sounds like you are having a great time. Keep posting (stick a few pics up if you want )
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:01 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

What a great post. It sounds like you have fitted in to the community really well & adapted to the Kiwi way of life with no real problems at all.
Hope all goes well with the house move, it'll be good to have your own place.
I hope I sound like you in another 5 months time.
love Annie
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post - glad you're liking Timaru. I lived up the road in Ashburton as a boy so Timaru was the "big smoke" for us. We also used to sail our boat there and swim off the beach at Caroline Bay.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Never ventured into the NZ section before - but just wanted to say what a lovely post ! Wishing you all the best - and I wish you all continuing happiness in your new home