Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are truckers needed in NZ

Are truckers needed in NZ

Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

rubini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are truckers needed in NZ

I have noticed that HGV drivers are on the skill shortages list and was wondering if anybody had applied for a visa as such and what are the possibilities of gaining access.Any help with this enquiry would be appreciated.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Nick trucker is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Are truckers needed in NZ

Hi

You have to go over to NZ and get a job offer in writting and the pass the medical forms for you and your family. But I have been over to NZ and yes it very nice but Truck drivers are not paid much most are paid around 16.00 nz dolls a hour which is aroun £6.30 in english. So answer to you question yes they are needed but the money is not good.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:08 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are truckers needed in NZ

Originally Posted by rubini
I have noticed that HGV drivers are on the skill shortages list and was wondering if anybody had applied for a visa as such and what are the possibilities of gaining access.Any help with this enquiry would be appreciated.

If you do a search of the threads there are quite a few posts re truckers
for instance http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=truckers
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:47 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nick trucker
Hi

You have to go over to NZ and get a job offer in writting and the pass the medical forms for you and your family. But I have been over to NZ and yes it very nice but Truck drivers are not paid much most are paid around 16.00 nz dolls a hour which is aroun £6.30 in english. So answer to you question yes they are needed but the money is not good.
Hi there,
we don't feel its a neccesity to go over to NZ, we have just been put in contact with a recruitment company who only deal with accredited employers, and they stress that you do not need to come for a face to face interview. We did think for quite a while that coming over seemed to be the only way, but since being in contact with this company, it dosn't seem the case. Would be intrested to know your experiences and views on this.
Marika, husband Tim, (the trucker)
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Hi

As put by Marika, you don't have to come to NZ to get a job offer, I went through an agency, got a good job. No the money is not on par with UK but neither are the bills. We manage well on one wage which is a truckers wage it's all relative! If you want the lifestyle which we did then no you won't get rich on the pay but I didn't in the UK either.
Phil Trucking in NZ, hopefully permanently!!!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi Phil

Did you have to pay the agency who got you the job in NZ? I bet you did, I know drivers who are working in NZ and they are doing ok but if you get with the wright company in the Uk you can earn alot more money and I know what I am talking about because I have been driving for a very long time. The cost of living in NZ is not much difference than the UK because I been for holidays in NZ and found the prices not much difference. But people have the choice on where they want to live I enjoyed NZ and will be going back but not to live.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marika 38
Hi there,
we don't feel its a neccesity to go over to NZ, we have just been put in contact with a recruitment company who only deal with accredited employers, and they stress that you do not need to come for a face to face interview. We did think for quite a while that coming over seemed to be the only way, but since being in contact with this company, it dosn't seem the case. Would be intrested to know your experiences and views on this.
Marika, husband Tim, (the trucker)
Hi Marika
I know people who went over for a Holiday,got intouch with company before they went had interviews, got job offer, liked NZ and the came back and started to fill the forms in so they didnt have to pay for recruitment companys which charge. Where has your husband been offered a job eg South Island, North Island good look in your future.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Phil

Did you have to pay the agency who got you the job in NZ? I bet you did, I know drivers who are working in NZ and they are doing ok but if you get with the wright company in the Uk you can earn alot more money and I know what I am talking about because I have been driving for a very long time. The cost of living in NZ is not much difference than the UK because I been for holidays in NZ and found the prices not much difference. But people have the choice on where they want to live I enjoyed NZ and will be going back but not to live.
Yes I did pay the agency, 1500 quid but that to me seemed OK compared to a lot of other agencies and they sort a lot for you, when you got kids you don't want to just get off a plane with your suitcase you want stuff sorted before you get there. Yes the wage does vary depends what you do and who you work for, check the EOI's on immigration, Truck Drivers do get PR so means they are earning over $45k for 40 hours and some get more that than but you have to prove you want to be here and graft get a good record and the company you with will reward you, I know I'm here. I found the cost of living a lot cheaper, my wife don't have to work out here she did in the UK, so to me we are better off here.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi Phil
I am glad it is working out for you and your family in NZ you must have landed with a good company? I think there is some but like in the UK there is alot of rubbish companys to work for but you get that in every country. So enjoy your new life in NZ not a rat race UK.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Phil
I am glad it is working out for you and your family in NZ you must have landed with a good company? I think there is some but like in the UK there is alot of rubbish companys to work for but you get that in every country. So enjoy your new life in NZ not a rat race UK.
Cheers mate and if you change your mind and want to come over pm me.

Phil...got to go to work now!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:11 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Phil

Hi Nick,
yes we are going to pay the agency, its the same one as Phil has used, its a huge saving for us, as we were planning on going to NZ in Easter, the flights alone were going to cost £2000, then we would have had car hire accom, food, not to mention how exhausting it would have been travelling both islands for interviews, so we feel its a massive weight off our minds, and like Phil has said, it is half of what other companies are charging and they do deal only with accredited employers, which is ideally what you need. I have 2 jobs here in U.K aswell as OH working long distance on overcrowded roads, so our dream is for us both to have much easier quieter life. We live in Cornwall where cost of living is high especially housing so we will definitely be better off.
Marika