Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

were do we go heeelllllllllllp

were do we go heeelllllllllllp

Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:22 am
Just Joined

hykemartins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default were do we go heeelllllllllllp

my husband originally wanted to go to new zealand but i was not sure, so contacted a agent for australia as i wanted to go there, but to get a skilled visa we have to wait till end of next year,so back to orignal plan new zealand, but need to do more research, my husband a plumber and i am hairdresser, we have two children 2 and 10 were do we start i have already filled an assment in on line waiting to here if we would qualify , any advice welcome .
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Re: were do we go heeelllllllllllp

Hi
When you say assessment do you mean Expression of interest (EOI)?
This is the first stage if you want permanent residency. You need to work out how many points you qualify for this depends on qualifications, experience, age etc. Then depending on your score you will be drawn from the pool the draws are every 2 weeks and you will be invited to apply for residency (ITA) this is the part that can take a long time. Generally if you have a job offer this speeds up the process but that can be difficult as some employers want to see you face to face or that you have a visa.

Another route is going out on a work visa, some people go out on visitor/holiday visa arrange interviews then when you have a firm job offer apply for a work permit. Only probs are you cant work until you have work permit so you need to be able to support yourself and you may have to pay school fees until you get the work permit.

Im not an expert and theres loads of people on here who can give you better advice, this is just things you pick up as you start the process and read posts!! but at least it gives you an idea.

We are waiting for the invitation to apply (ITA) and hope to be out in 12 months. Good luck
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:28 am
Just Joined

henry59 will become famous soon enoughhenry59 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: were do we go heeelllllllllllp

Go to www.immigration.govt.nz/branch/londonbranchhome/ and type SMC into search box. Your husband is on Long Term Skill Shortage List (NZIS 1093) PDF [111KB] this is valid from 30 July 2007. Use the online points calculator for Expression of Interest (EOI) and calculate your points.
If you need to speak to someone do not us the helpline as this will cost you minimum 1.50/min and it will be several minutes before you get through to anyone!! Instead fax them with any questions you have and ask them to call you to discuss in detail. Make a note of the number they call you on or ask them for a direct number and if you need to speak to them again you will save a lot of money (and time!). Also you do not need to visit London as all the info is available online or via telephone (done all ours this way with no problems) When you decide to go for it first book your medicals (waiting lists) and get your Subject Access (UK Police) certificates (takes up to 42 days) as these take the longest. Once again all info/links are available on the website.

NZ is a good place to come for your kids but be warned - On the whole salaries are lower and cost of living higher than the UK. Read all pertinent threads on BE so you come here with your eyes wide open!

Let me know if you need any further help/guidance,
GL Neil
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
If you both got qualifications(city & guilds etc) you will have enough points to come! Both jobs are wanted in NZ!!
Good luck

Helen
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hykemartins
my husband originally wanted to go to new zealand but i was not sure, so contacted a agent for australia as i wanted to go there, but to get a skilled visa we have to wait till end of next year,so back to orignal plan new zealand, but need to do more research, my husband a plumber and i am hairdresser, we have two children 2 and 10 were do we start i have already filled an assment in on line waiting to here if we would qualify , any advice welcome .
Plumbing is the name of my game ! What quals does your husband have and how many years experience?

Are you thinking of trying to use NZ as a stepping stone to Oz ?

I'm not sure what you have filled in on-line.

If you google the NZIS website , then you will find a points indicator there. You can fill that in and it will let you know what points you can gain.

Pojnts are for

Qualifications

Minimum points are 100.

Sorry for the short post but I am currently in the UK and the connection is slooooowwwwww. Usually we are to be found living and plumbing in Nelson NZ
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

..bump..

I'm now back from the UK HykeMartins.
Let's talk plumbing.

Originally Posted by hykemartins