Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We're all about to get a whole lot poorer

We're all about to get a whole lot poorer

Old May 2nd 2010, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: We're all about to get a whole lot poorer

The ETS was the subject of an article in the WSJ (Wall Street Journal) a number of months ago. It basically said NZ was self mutilating - (my words). It doesn't make sense for us to lead the world on this subject.

Secondly, on the comment above on the current governmnet. Since the evening/day after the last election, it was all about the next one. National is working with the Maori party to ensure that next time it can continue to marshall enough seats to form the government. Practically, MMP entrenches bad government and in our case ensures that government policy is formed out of relations with other parties after an election and not so much from party policy presented to the electorate each three three cycle. If you want to have more responsive government, nothing other than first past the post can give it to you. What we have is an absolute mess here, but Kiwis don't really seem to care about this or much else.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:13 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're all about to get a whole lot poorer

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Practically, MMP entrenches bad government and in our case ensures that government policy is formed out of relations with other parties after an election and not so much from party policy presented to the electorate each three three cycle. If you want to have more responsive government, nothing other than first past the post can give it to you. What we have is an absolute mess here, but Kiwis don't really seem to care about this or much else.
Well personally, I feel that first past the post system in the UK has disenfranchised me my entire adult life. All the entrenched parties do is compete with each other and decide their policies based on marginal constituencies. Funny but we have entrenched bad government here too.

I currently have the 'choice' to vote for two parties both of whom I dislike. But in practice the leading 'candidate' in my constituency has a 95% chance of being re-elected because it is a safe seat so I have no chance of selecting a candidate that can represent me.

WP