Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Special needs education

Special needs education

Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of
Default Special needs education

I don't know if I'm posting this correctly but I'm sure I'll be told if I'm not.
As you may have read before we are looking to move out, probably to Auckland, next year. Has anyone had any experience with schooling for children with special needs. Our son has aspergers but gets along OK in mainstream school with the right support. I'd love to know if anyone has any experience of this within the New Zealand education system.

Thanks

Martyc
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all
Default Re: Special needs education

Hi,
Students with "moderate needs", as I think your son would be classified, don't get a lot of extra funding. I have worked with Aspergers' students who get funding and those who don't. Assessment seems to be a bit subjective. Some schools have special needs units who stretch their support to those without funding. Some schools are more receptive than others and become "magnet" schools, attracting students with needs, where others are a bit cold and discouraging. However, the magnet school doesn't necessarily get extra funding just has a supportive policy. Staff are becoming more receptive to dealing with students with different needs. All schools get a Special Education Grant but it is up to the school how it is spent - remedial, gifted etc.. Every school has a different approach. I think your best bet would be to contact the schools in your target area and see what their policy is. You should be able to tell from their reponse whether they are suitable as I am sure you want the right "fit" for your son. Also this web-site has some information.
http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducation.aspx

Good luck . Just ask if I can tell you any more.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Dorrick

Thanks so much for your reply. Every bit of information really does help. My mother-in-law lives in Ngaruawahia and has met her grandson a few times now but speaks to him every week on the phone. Armed with this information she can do a bit of research for us. I will definately try the website as well

Thanks again for now

Martyc
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

The school I work in has a very good inclusion policy and if the special needs child needs a 'teacher aide' to help in the class there is govenment funding for it. If the 'needs' are mild there won't be extra help.

Make sure you have as much paperwork as possible to back up the diagnosis
and any help your child has had in UK.
good luck Dorrick
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the above

No 1 son has a box file full of every letter we have had from speech and language therapists to a full aspergers diagnosis from his paediatrician. Thats the problem really. We get very good support here from his school and the people around him and it is this alone that makes us wonder whether we would be making the right move. But it is now or never as my husband is a Kiwi and would like to go back. Very hard being pulled in both directions.

Martyc