Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington vs Auckland

Wellington vs Auckland

Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wellington vs Auckland

Having just spent the past 2 weeks in Wellington and loving the friendly nature of the locals, it was a bit of a culture shock to get to Auckland and find that the locals are just like they are in London - no time to smile let alone say hello. Spent an hour in a manicure place and tried to strike up a conversation with the two women sitting next to me who weren't having any of it - blimey it was like being on the tube back in London!

Can't wait to get back to Wellington in January and leave the JAFAs to their own insular world.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington vs Auckland

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Having just spent the past 2 weeks in Wellington and loving the friendly nature of the locals, it was a bit of a culture shock to get to Auckland and find that the locals are just like they are in London - no time to smile let alone say hello. Spent an hour in a manicure place and tried to strike up a conversation with the two women sitting next to me who weren't having any of it - blimey it was like being on the tube back in London!

Can't wait to get back to Wellington in January and leave the JAFAs to their own insular world.
Go girl, tell em how it is!!!!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Go girl, tell em how it is!!!!
Trust me it is not always like that - especially in the suburbs. You may have been unlucky or picked the tourist area of town. Sorry you got such a bad impression.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Having spent a year there, can't fault your observations
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Ive never come across any people like that here.... quite the opposite. If I even go out for a walk it takes twice as long as it should as people I dont even know stop and chat. Maybe its because we are in a village here outside of Auckland?.... whereabouts were you? My OH avoids our next door neighbour as if hes gets caught chatting to him he can be standing there for hours! We love it here as most people are so friendly..... really makes us feel part of the community.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:36 pm
Jen

jenjag will become famous soon enoughjenjag will become famous soon enough

Poppy Cock.

I spend a lot of time in Wellington, and other than colleagues I have not met one person down there.

I go down Courtney Place on my own sometimes and it is very groupy, where its hard to speak to someone. When your at a bar you get a 30 second conversation out of them and they go back to their friends without inviting you to join them.

I really dont like Wellington. Its cold, windy and rains constantly. Its dull and quiet. The best thing about Wellington for me is the plane journey back home to Auckland - which is sunny (windy as well) a cosmopolitan city and very welcoming.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I haven't been to Wellington yet, but I've lived just outside Auckland for 5 years and I dont think its unfriendly at all. What do you know about the people in the manicure place? How do you know they were from Auckland? Maybe they were best mates catching up for an hour and didn't want to involve a stranger in their conversation. Last year when my sister was visiting we went for a manicure together and as friendly as we both are I dont think we would have wanted to sit and chat with a random person when we only had one month together in 3 years.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Speago is an unknown quantity at this point

Found Auckland super friendly. Lots of people we had never met went out of their way to help us out when we first got there.
Perhaps you want to stop hanging around courtney place on your own. People might think you are a wierdo or something.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 10:20 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

God your guys are so hostile, can't you see a windup when one is being presented.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, its not a wind up, just my genuine observation.

For the record, the two women were not together, one on either side of me (arrived at different times) and yes they were locals cos 1 had a staff ID tag round her neck and the other was on her mobile to her local friends.

I stand by what I say because it is my personal experience. I have other examples but I can't be bothered to list them all.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:10 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

But tell us how you really feel.