Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hand outs to Maori.

Hand outs to Maori.

Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future
Default Hand outs to Maori.

It is with amusement that I notice people posting about
the settlements to Maori for land that was stolen etc.
Calling them handouts to Maori

Now a lot of people believe that the treaty should be null
and void.
I take it those people believe all treatys in NZ made in the
eighteen hundreds should be null and void?
Including all leases for the high country made in the
eighteen hundreds?
Should all pakeha farmers who are squatting on Maori
freehold land get paid what they are paying we Maori
when they are tossed off the land?
We Maori are getting $3000 each, would the farmers be
happy with that?

And oh yes, I forgot, I know one of those farmers, he was
so proud that his father employed a Maori shepherd who
came back from Italy in 45 with a lower leg missing.
Of course his father did not go to help Britain.

So, should we have total equality, with no exceptions
at all in compensation?

I have no problem with no compensation, as long as we
treat all races the same.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hand outs to Maori.

I guess this means you've got your Maori hat on and not your Scottish one.

Kip
Old Nov 17th 2007, 3:36 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

How is it decided who land belongs to though?
I didn't know New Zealand had a 'native' race.
Didn't the Maori people move to New Zealand the same as everyone else?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koogar
How is it decided who land belongs to though?

It depends on what propaganda you read ... bearing in mind that Maori is a culture that traditonally do not pass down facts in written word which opened the door for pakeha (including some of my own family) to record facts as they saw them.

DNA tests so far have not confirmed that Moriori ever were actually here, and if in fact they were they were one and the same as Maori. Posts I have seen on similar boards to this one suggest that few know the difference between Maori and Moriori.

So guess it comes down to Pakeha will believe what they feel comfortable with and Maori likewise.

I prefer the oral traditions that have been handed down to me through my Tipuna of many generations.

That is influenced largely by diaries I have that have clearly recorded opinions and not facts written by my pakeha forefathers who came here in early 1819 as missionaries.

My Tipuna held the whakapapa tightly to their chest and only when one can confirm their entitlement to it is it handed down to them. It is factual whanau history without emblellishment because if it wasn't makatu would occur.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:11 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koogar
Ding! Ding! Ding!

New Zealand has NO native people.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:13 am
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Do you think I could put in an appeal in the UK before I leave?
Them thieving bastards stole my land rights with the Enclosure Acts

Last edited by ned; Nov 17th 2007 at 10:22 am. Reason: ME MAKE A SPELLING MISTAKE, I think you are mistaken
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:20 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned
Do you think I could put in an appall in the UK before I leave?
Them thieving bastards stole my land rights with the Enclosure Acts
What's an appall?

I think this was covered in "Viz" many moons ago/
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

And I think the Saxons should be recompensed for the Normans stealing their lands as well..
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:34 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Dont mention the Saxons!
You'll start the Welsh off
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

No Ned ... Edward 1st was a Norman! and anyway the Geordies are only Scots who fell over the "Wall" and didn't have the sense to climb back over !

Last edited by Yotty; Nov 17th 2007 at 12:38 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:15 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yotty
No Ned ... Edward 1st was a Norman! and anyway the Geordies are only Scots who fell over the "Wall" and didn't have the sense to climb back over !
I bow to your superior grasp of english history
ned

currently living on the north side of the wall in ENGLAND
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned
Dont mention the Saxons!
You'll start the Welsh off
Leave us out of this, we're busy trying to throw out the thieving English, and don't have time to post on forums
Old Nov 17th 2007, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

Soz getting back to the thread... Mr Solomon leader of the Ngai Tahu says " we believe in a hand up... not a hand out". I feel this issue is not a matter of money. Just a matter of respect. How the 2 sides can get together over this I'm not too sure though. (and Ned there's prolly been a few boundary changes since Hadrian's time )

Last edited by Yotty; Nov 17th 2007 at 3:22 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
It depends on what propaganda you read ... bearing in mind that Maori is a culture that traditonally do not pass down facts in written word which opened the door for pakeha (including some of my own family) to record facts as they saw them.

DNA tests so far have not confirmed that Moriori ever were actually here, and if in fact they were they were one and the same as Maori. Posts I have seen on similar boards to this one suggest that few know the difference between Maori and Moriori.

So guess it comes down to Pakeha will believe what they feel comfortable with and Maori likewise.

I prefer the oral traditions that have been handed down to me through my Tipuna of many generations.

That is influenced largely by diaries I have that have clearly recorded opinions and not facts written by my pakeha forefathers who came here in early 1819 as missionaries.

My Tipuna held the whakapapa tightly to their chest and only when one can confirm their entitlement to it is it handed down to them. It is factual whanau history without emblellishment because if it wasn't makatu would occur.
You say "Few know the difference between Maori and Moriori" , and "It has never been proved about the Moriori being in NZ",

The Moriori were definitely in the Chatham islands (part of NZ), and it is STRONGLY suspected that they occupied South island , artefacts have been found there. They were a peaceful, egalitarian people, who were invaded by warlike hierarchical Maori tribes and wiped out basically.

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Nov 17th 2007 at 3:43 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 3:54 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

This story is so common no matter where in the world you go, same problem, same solution, problem never goes away , just gets more expensive, some races are just not able to adapt to European lifestyle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.