Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We have arrived down south!

We have arrived down south!

Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all
Default Re: We have arrived down south!

have noticed that the prices in Rolleston have dropped quiet a bit.. down from the mid 400's to the mid 300's

depending on the location of your work.. rolleston isnt more than about 20 mins from Hornby in the mornings..with the traffic lights it makes getting onto SH1 easy.

if you are prepared for about a 45 imn commute time to the edge of the city.. Darfield and any location from there in.. straight drive.. and not too bad in the rush hour.. its once you hit the city that you grind to a halt..
takes about 30 mins from the edge to get to the centre.. no matter which way you go.

just remember to stay away from Linwood, Aranui, Bromley and any area that abuts these.. the closer you get.. the more run down it is.. comparative to the rest of the city.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Great news that you are settling in Sue. Good luck with the house hunting & job searching .

For now, enjoy being a lady of leisure. I've been doing this for approx 9mths now & I'm not yet bored . Still, OH is making noises about me getting a job, so better pull my finger out in the New Year

Keep on
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Thanks for the good wishes everyone, much appreciated!

We're looking around the eastern and southern edges of Christchurch for a house, easy for both of us to get to work.
We did consider Rolleston but decided we wanted to be nearer the city. Though both times we've been house hunting [we went this time last time as well] I have almost been seduced by the idea of a bigger house and section for the same cost as we will end up paying in the areas we're looking at
As they say location, location, location!
Thats what we did when looking for a house and opted for the drive to work and have bigger land, albeit not huge but better than you get in the city
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

U wanna live in Mandeville it,s lovley

Come and say hello when u are settled u can see how much u can get for you money

Neil

Only 20 mins into town aswell
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:37 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your help and good wishes!
Will hopefully meet up with a few of you at some point.

Well we are nothing if not impulsive and have had an offer accepted on a house in Hornby. It was one that Mr Sue had looked at from the outside when he was down with work 3 weeks ago and we had two viewings and decided to go for it 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 180 sq m

We did seriously consider Rolleston but realised that we didn't need a large house as there's only 2 of us and neither of us are keen gardeners so the garden wasn't that important. We had a big section in our last place and we just didn't use it, nice to look at but neither of us are sun worshippers and tend to stay inside in the shade when it's too sunny. In fact most of the time we were in the garden we were either mowing or weeding it-and I don't call that enjoying it.
Anyway we have a reasonable size now-enough for us to cope with and we're not overlooked by neighbours which was my main worry with a smaller section.
The other thing was the commute, having driven through Rolleston a few times this last week neither of us want that extra 20mins at the end of the day. Especially me as I am looking at doing locum work for the foreseeable future and so could be working anywhere in Christchurch. I know it isn't much but I have never had to travel more than 20mins to work before and have generally lived near enough to walk.
So if circumstances were different we would probably pick Rolly.

I want to move in NOW but there are those little matters of paying for it and the previous occupants moving out
At least I have a good excuse not to unpack anything else
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:07 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Thanks everyone for your help and good wishes!
Will hopefully meet up with a few of you at some point.

Well we are nothing if not impulsive and have had an offer accepted on a house in Hornby. It was one that Mr Sue had looked at from the outside when he was down with work 3 weeks ago and we had two viewings and decided to go for it 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 180 sq m
Wow! Well good luck to you with the move and all. Sounds like a lovely size house and great place to access ChCh from. If you don't mind, could I ask why you decided on Hornby as your suburb of choice?

Oh, and if you need a hand with anything we are just 5 minutes away so feel free to give me a yell.