Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We have arrived down south!

We have arrived down south!

Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:27 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default We have arrived down south!

Well we've finally made it to Christchurch after 4 days of travelling and two of semi-unpacking! Now all I need to do is find a job-so only minor issues to deal with now
Had a good journey down, stayed in Wellington overnight to catch an early morning ferry. Unfortunately the weather was grey and rainy so didn't show the Sounds off to their best but the ferry was fairly empty so we got a seat at the front [to see the rain so much better]
Stayed the night with Mr Sue's Dad in Kaikoura, the sun had come out by then and the views from Blenheim down to Kaikoura were stunning. Lovely turquoise blue sea and snow capped mountains
Finally arrived in Christchurch on Sunday and spent Monday and Tuesday unpacking as little as possible, we are hoping/confident/maybe overly optimistic that we'll find somewhere to buy soonThe rental we are in is quite basic but does as somewhere to live temporarily. The $14.99 curtains we bought on the way down and the cheapest nastiest tackiest shower curtain [zebra print and feels like it's made from crepe paper] we could find are doing their job

Problem is that we were not that good at packing stuff we would need immediately so have had to unpack and repack a lot of boxes Oh well I'm a lady of leisure at the moment and have little else to do....
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We have arrived down south!

Glad to hear things are going well. Will be our turn soon enough.

Keep us updated on the job front.

I dont suppose i can say welcome to NZ as we arent there, but if i could i would

Psycho xx
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:38 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue,

Well done on your safe journey over to the mainland! Many people rave about ChCh so I hope you and Mr Sue will be really happy there. Remember where the wine is packed and get that open - that after all, is the most important thing!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the South Island,enjoy Xmas and then start on the job front

Phyl x
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:27 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all
Yeah the wine is unpacked and easy to reach One of the first things I did-got to get your priorities right-after all who needs clothes and cooking utensils if you've got wine
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
Thanks all
Yeah the wine is unpacked and easy to reach One of the first things I did-got to get your priorities right-after all who needs clothes and cooking utensils if you've got wine
dig the asprin out before you get your head down x
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:34 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck in your new (temp) home Sue, great that you've got a bit of time to settle & unpack....hope you have a very merry Christmas....sounds like you might!! and good wishes for New Year & new job !!
B x
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:43 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MnB View Post
Good luck in your new (temp) home Sue, great that you've got a bit of time to settle & unpack....hope you have a very merry Christmas....sounds like you might!! and good wishes for New Year & new job !!
B x
glad to hear your safe and well guys, enjoy xsmas and will be in touch soon

Tina and Will.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:45 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by Psychopandy View Post
dig the asprin out before you get your head down x
Searching for that definitely goes into the 'too hard' pile. Way too many badly labelled boxes here for that. As a lady of leisure I can afford to have a hangover

Thanks B and Willand Tina, we're trying not to settle too much since we do want to move asap so are going to live in box city for a while until we find the perfect house...no point unpacking only to pack again!
Merry Christmas to you and your families though will be back on here before then [I hope] x
Old Dec 15th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
Well we've finally made it to Christchurch after 4 days of travelling and two of semi-unpacking! Now all I need to do is find a job-so only minor issues to deal with now
Had a good journey down, stayed in Wellington overnight to catch an early morning ferry. Unfortunately the weather was grey and rainy so didn't show the Sounds off to their best but the ferry was fairly empty so we got a seat at the front [to see the rain so much better]
Stayed the night with Mr Sue's Dad in Kaikoura, the sun had come out by then and the views from Blenheim down to Kaikoura were stunning. Lovely turquoise blue sea and snow capped mountains
Finally arrived in Christchurch on Sunday and spent Monday and Tuesday unpacking as little as possible, we are hoping/confident/maybe overly optimistic that we'll find somewhere to buy soonThe rental we are in is quite basic but does as somewhere to live temporarily. The $14.99 curtains we bought on the way down and the cheapest nastiest tackiest shower curtain [zebra print and feels like it's made from crepe paper] we could find are doing their job

Problem is that we were not that good at packing stuff we would need immediately so have had to unpack and repack a lot of boxes Oh well I'm a lady of leisure at the moment and have little else to do....
Hi Sue and welcome to sunny Chch, you missed the hailstones the other day, but good to see normal service is resumed with the weather today.

You thought of areas to look at for your "perfect" house?
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:33 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to The Mainland.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

welcolme to chch and the south island..

almost 8 yrs and counting for us.. never thought about anywhere else in NZ.. even though we have toured NZ alot!

good luck on the house hunting
Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the other side!
Glad you have arrived safely.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:06 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Happy New Home (island) Sue.

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
Hi Sue,

Well done on your safe journey over to the mainland! Many people rave about ChCh so I hope you and Mr Sue will be really happy there. Remember where the wine is packed and get that open - that after all, is the most important thing!
I think you mean resource island

Last edited by bourbon-biscuit; Dec 16th 2009 at 6:08 am. Reason: silly me- I thought P had only just arrived for a moment :o
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:33 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Thanks for the good wishes everyone, much appreciated!

We're looking around the eastern and southern edges of Christchurch for a house, easy for both of us to get to work.
We did consider Rolleston but decided we wanted to be nearer the city. Though both times we've been house hunting [we went this time last time as well] I have almost been seduced by the idea of a bigger house and section for the same cost as we will end up paying in the areas we're looking at
As they say location, location, location!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.