British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wasnt-supposed-happen-we-now-poor-634863/)

Justcol Oct 9th 2009 11:17 pm

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

We've been here for almost 18 months now.
We have a similar sized mortgage to the one we left in the uk (very small)
We are now both back in the jobs we were doing before we left the uk.
We have no expensive hobbies or extravigant toys.
We both run a car each (not gas guzzlers)
We now have NO spare money at all once the bills are paid and essentials (food) are payed for.
In ther uk we had a disposable income at the end of every month that allowed
us to enjoy the occasional tirip out with the family, or a short holiday break at bank hioliday times, we could eat out every now and again,
on top of the cars i also ran 2 motorbikes, We bought new clothes when we needed to or when we saw something nice.
None of the above were done to excessive levels just occasionally.
We now count every penny, i sold a motorbike recently and the money was supposed to be used to bauy another,
instead i am now dipping into it to cover things like going to the pub once a week for a couple of beers (and only a couple),
buying a pack of cigarretes the day before i get paid so as not to go overdrawn.
This isnt me moaning about the uk being great and nz being crap. even in my current situation i wouldnt go back.
Maybe its here cos i need to vent, or as a warning to all the newbies who are just starting out on the road to PR.
Check, check and check again that you really want to make the move.
NZ is NOT a bed of roses and nice scenery doesnt pay the bills. There are lots of lovely places in NZ but at the moment
i cant afford the petrol to go and see them.
You WILL earn a LOT LESS down here and the cost of living is equal if not higher than that of the uk.
To test it out try to live off two thirds of your salary for a while as for many thats the BEST you'll get when you get here.
Dont be fooled into thinking it wont happen to me, it will and your standard of living and the very small simple things you
take for granted could well be financially out of your reach.

lardyl Oct 9th 2009 11:37 pm

Re: This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

I once sat down and did the calculation for how much we have "lost" coming here and the results were not pretty. But it was a great move for us and taking the hit for a few years will allow the kids to grow, other issues to straighten out and us to gain some great life experience. Hopefully, even if it turns into a financial disaster we will be able to say that we gave it a go and took lots out of our time as ExPats.
But I do feel your pain and wish you and yours the very best for getting by in NZ.......:fingerscrossed:

Justcol Oct 9th 2009 11:49 pm

Cheers Lardyl, I've no doubt things will improve in tme.
One way or another we'll turn this round but shit its an eye opener when you look at the figures :blink:

zoglet Oct 9th 2009 11:50 pm

Coming to New Zealand has been economic suicide for us. I have asked before, but still don't understand how Kiwi's manage to run the toys you see on the beach and on the roads.I simply don't understand how they do it on the average NZ income.

I like being here and am coming to terms with the change in financial outlook that we have to face. But for the sake of newbies coming over- especially now the pound is in free fall, keep in mind NZ is not as cheap as your holiday trip made you think!

lardyl Oct 10th 2009 12:49 am

What many of them did was cash in the property windfalls (that did happen over the past 10 years) and use that to live today.
Or they workded overseas to make cash.
Or they work for themselves to make money - which is what I do....but, mainly because I don't want to go back to the 50-70hr weeks I did in the UK (so I can give more to the kids mainly and some via sport to myself), I don't make much at all - enough to live on just and no real disposable income, not even as much as I used to put in one of my pension plans each month back in the UK.

For us - we lost about $6million in salary alone over the 20 years to age 60 (when I would have been forced to retire from the Partnership) - that's even without the inflation/interest multipliers.

But we may still go back to the UK or go to Oz if the work there comes together as it seems like it will for me.

With the state of the kids at the moment any bail is medium term; citizenship first then take stock for us.

Besta luck to all trying to make it work without wedges of cash from property, etc to back them. You will (unless you are lucky) need it! :fingerscrossed:

luvwelly Oct 10th 2009 1:16 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8004811)
We now have NO spare money at all once the bills are paid and essentials (food) are payed for.
us to enjoy the occasional tirip out with the family, or a short holiday break at bank hioliday times, we could eat out every now and again,
on top of the cars i also ran 2 motorbikes, We bought new clothes when we needed to or when we saw something nice.
We now count every penny, i sold a motorbike recently and the money was supposed to be used to bauy another,
instead i am now dipping into it to cover things like going to the pub once a week for a couple of beers (and only a couple),
buying a pack of cigarretes the day before i get paid so as not to go overdrawn.
This isnt me moaning about the uk being great and nz being crap. even in my current situation i wouldnt go back.
Maybe its here cos i need to vent, or as a warning to all the newbies who are just starting out on the road to PR.
NZ is NOT a bed of roses and nice scenery doesnt pay the bills. There are lots of lovely places in NZ but at the moment
You WILL earn a LOT LESS down here and the cost of living is equal if not higher than that of the uk.
To test it out try to live off two thirds of your salary for a while as for many thats the BEST you'll get when you get here.
Dont be fooled into thinking it wont happen to me, it will and your standard of living and the very small simple things you

Loads of posters have said as much before...honestly.....I don't know how people can do it on average Kiwi salaries....I am not in that situation but I always sound the 'warning bell' about 'doing the sums' to newbies because I just don't know how they do it. I fail to see how voluntarily moving to 'scrimping and saving' constitutes a better life. Worse of all NZIS...it must be a paradise because it's so hard to get a visa...well no...why do Kiwis stay away..usually low salary levels in my experience. Tax is high too because there is no allowance...in UK you can earn 6k before having to pay tax on it.

There is hope though, as it sounds like you are at least trying to live within your means rather than dipping into capital...imagine the problems for those living beyond their means every month by dipping into UK house sale equity/other savings...what to do when savings run out?

I honestly honestly believe that those hating where they live in UK, would do better to move to a 'better' area within UK rather than moving 10,000 miles for a better quality of life.
I am posted here ...so can see more easily what a big deal it is to make that move on removal costs alone. The only reason Brits do it, is because it is an English-speaking country...you wouldn't even consider coming here if it involved learning a foreign language for your day to day existence....imho...probably.

whitesand Oct 10th 2009 1:26 am

As well as the problems you state there is also the crap exchange rate. Noone in their right mind is going to change UK money into Kiwi money at the moment. And, we don't know how long it will be until the rate gets better. Yes, NZ doesn't look that attractive a place to come to at the moment.

bourbon-biscuit Oct 10th 2009 1:50 am

Yes, it's hard in NZ on anything other than a family income over $100K I think. I know ppl mortgage free with incomes in the $60Ks struggling, which seems inconceivable against the average Kiwi wage and mortgage/rent outlay but there it is. We were better off in Australia and are back to living from paycheck to paycheck, saving nothing and hoping we can limp through until I qualify. If I thought this was financially as good as it would get for me and my family I wouldn't choose NZ, despite loving so much- it would just be long term financial suicide but we have a ten year plan that will change our fortunes considerably.

That's the trouble- with the UK market slump, plus the exchange rate plus the NZ housing rise British Expat prospects in NZ are not nearly so rosy looking as in the past.

pricklykina Oct 10th 2009 3:59 am

I came over here with nothing apart from my backpack, ten years ago.
Maybe that makes it easier in some ways.
I have my kiwi other half that came back from the UK after his OE with nothing too.
But we got there in the end
I never wanted the kiwi dream, never wanted a bach or a boat and so consider myself pretty lucky
We were on the bones of our backside as we raised a child as I studied part time with one (small ) income and no help from winz
But we got there
Bought our first home this year and consider ourselves to be well paid
The mortagage takes 40% of our take home pay but that seems OK
Sure, i don't live anywhere flash, my car is old and I haven't been overseas for a loooong time but life is good. Some things can't be measure financially

I like what luv welly said about whether one would move here if it wasn't english speaking...well that's why some move...cos language and culture are intricately connected and therefore mean the move is easier

Saying that there are many many people that move here with other languages as afirst language and still consider it worth the effort

I guess I lucky to have had a positive experience but then I never expected too much

Bo-Jangles Oct 10th 2009 11:14 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 8005056)
I honestly honestly believe that those hating where they live in UK, would do better to move to a 'better' area within UK rather than moving 10,000 miles for a better quality of life.

I've been officially poor for the past four years and I agree, NZs 'not all that' and certainly not worth living on the bones of your 'arris for. There are equally nice places where one can buy some of the overly hyped NZ 'lifestyle' features in the UK or Europe. The more I watch of Grand designs type TV programs from the UK, the more I wish we had looked into the options and possibilities of changing our lifestyle there rather than over here. It would, I'm sure, considering all the dead money costs of shipping, visas etc., have proven more financially sound than gambling everything we had on black or red in the hope that NZ might work out.

We survive here, that's all, we don't 'live', we watch every cent, scrimp and scrape and some. We don't have any of the big boys toys, fancy cars or Sky TV. Still there's nothing left for holidays or fun, no extras or frivolous things and that's fine for a short while; we can all make do and mend for short periods if we have to. However, the long term view of having to pretend we enjoy trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear and buying the cheapest budget products doesn't rock my boat. It's not what I am used to and it does get you down when there is no relief or light at the end of the tunnel and no prospects of improvement. This is it, the pinnacle of living in NZ? Hunting for specials in Pak n Save, how depressing.

The only saving grace is everyone we know here is in the same boat, so there's no stigma attached to buying value supermarket brands or being a cheapskate. :rofl:

Budawang Oct 10th 2009 12:04 pm

One thing I found curious when I visited NZ is that people appear reasonably well off. The cars on the road are decent and houses look quite nice. I can't quite work this out as statistically the average full time wage is about two thirds that in Australia (taking into account the current exchange rate). On the other hand, the cost of living looked very similar. I did notice many car adds stated "New Zealand New" meaning they're imported second hand from Japan in as new condition. There also seemed to be more reconditioned goods for sale. I think Kiwis must be quite resourceful at shopping around. I also imagine a lot of people have brought savings from money earned overseas or they are entrepreneurial small business owners. It's definately the country of the SME.

There were a more than a few people driving around in very flash cars so it's definately not all porridge and sack cloth over there.

luvwelly Oct 10th 2009 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Budawang (Post 8005949)
One thing I found curious when I visited NZ is that people appear reasonably well off. The cars on the road are decent and houses look quite nice. I can't quite work this out as statistically the average full time wage is about two thirds that in Australia (taking into account the current exchange rate). On the other hand, the cost of living looked very similar. I did notice many car adds stated "New Zealand New" meaning they're imported second hand from Japan in as new condition. There also seemed to be more reconditioned goods for sale. I think Kiwis must be quite resourceful at shopping around. I also imagine a lot of people have brought savings from money earned overseas or they are entrepreneurial small business owners. It's definately the country of the SME.

There were a more than a few people driving around in very flash cars so it's definately not all porridge and sack cloth over there.

Well yes there are people who earn well over the average and can live well (even if not in their own business) but many posters on here come over knowing their equivalent salary is say 2/3 less than UK but are led to believe that the cost of living is less when in fact it isn't. Often both parties may need to work here to make sums add up which is great until one of you loses the job.
I think Colandros is right to warn people about this....I personally wouldn't relocate this far for a lower salary so people who have done so, must likely have had greater 'push - i.e. dissatisfaction with uk factors' than most. Even if you come as a medical doctor (not my situation but know people), you are probably looking at a lower salary than in UK but it would be a high salary in NZ terms rather than an average one and therefore would be much easier to manage.
In my experience people in flash cars in any country have often borrowed to pay for them and are still in debt for them;).
The houses look better than they are because they are mainly detached...I would guess there is a lot of hidden poverty or else why do they have a charity which raises money for raincoats and shoes for kids to go to school? Can you imagine that being necessary in UK...I think not.

PaulC34 Oct 10th 2009 1:38 pm

I have to say that this thread has been a bit of an eye opener. My wife and I have been considering a move to NZ for several months but we 'parked' it due to the economic slow down. I'd rather be redundant in the UK than elsewhere. However I must admit to being shocked by the disparity in earnings and the hardships that people are discussing. It is one thing to read about it in various books but another to hear real life stories.

If nothing else this forum should be congratulated for providing a reality check to people who have spent too long looking at glossy brochures and watching the Lord of the Rings films. I think my wife and I might need to have a cold hard look at the realitys of moving to NZ. I want a better life for my 2 children but will not move if it means being poor.

Last year I visited the High Commission in London and saw the queues of people waiting to talk to Immigration Staff. You had to take a ticket and wait. In June this year there was no queue and only one other couple there. I think the stark reality of moving to the other side of the world is beginning to sink in.

concretepump Oct 10th 2009 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by PaulC34 (Post 8006071)
I have to say that this thread has been a bit of an eye opener. My wife and I have been considering a move to NZ for several months but we 'parked' it due to the economic slow down. I'd rather be redundant in the UK than elsewhere. However I must admit to being shocked by the disparity in earnings and the hardships that people are discussing. It is one thing to read about it in various books but another to hear real life stories.

If nothing else this forum should be congratulated for providing a reality check to people who have spent too long looking at glossy brochures and watching the Lord of the Rings films. I think my wife and I might need to have a cold hard look at the realitys of moving to NZ. I want a better life for my 2 children but will not move if it means being poor.

Last year I visited the High Commission in London and saw the queues of people waiting to talk to Immigration Staff. You had to take a ticket and wait. In June this year there was no queue and only one other couple there. I think the stark reality of moving to the other side of the world is beginning to sink in.

not everyone in newzealand gos there with loads of money, its not much diffrent from the uk, we lived there for seven months and was takeing home about $900 a week had a rental as well could still go out and enjoy things
why do people need to spend all the time there are loads of free things to do in nz, its better if you can take wads of money and to be mortage free
i think life is much better in nz , less people less cars on the road
and you dont need to work so many hours, if my kids were young thats where i would be now, nearley any where in nz you can reach a beach in an hour, you dont need money to walk up and down the beach, and if two people are earning, there is a bit more money in the kitty:thumbsup:

Psychopandy Oct 10th 2009 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8004811)

Sorry to hear things arent going well for you. I have to say that everything you wrote indicates that you are living my hubbys nightmares. It is everything he is trying so hard to avoid when we get there.
We have worked very hard for a long time - we are now comfortable but not wealthy by any means. He has done everything he can, looked into stuff as much as is possible and we are both fully aware of the risks and pitfalls, good and bad bits, pros and cons of the move.
That said - im sure you did too - you seem like a sound bloke - and i think this is his fear - that no matter how well you plan, what back ups you have, it can all still go tits up and then you are well and truly stuffed.
I hope with all my heart that things pick up for you soon.
Thank you for posting this thread - it is a good reality check for the rest of us - and has given my OH a very stressful day!!!! (time for a beer i think)

take care
Psycho x

lardyl Oct 10th 2009 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by concretepump (Post 8006091)
not everyone in newzealand gos there with loads of money, its not much diffrent from the uk, we lived there for seven months and was takeing home about $900 a week had a rental as well could still go out and enjoy things
why do people need to spend all the time there are loads of free things to do in nz, its better if you can take wads of money and to be mortage free
i think life is much better in nz , less people less cars on the road
and you dont need to work so many hours, if my kids were young thats where i would be now, nearley any where in nz you can reach a beach in an hour, you dont need money to walk up and down the beach, and if two people are earning, there is a bit more money in the kitty:thumbsup:

yep its all good in theory but what you don't often realise (or appreciate fully) when you are planning all this is that many of the safet nets are not here.
if you have a young family for example and the kids get sick there is often no grandma or aunty or best friend to take them and most of your friends are working and struggling too.
there is little sick leave which you have to accrue
there is no tax free allowance for low earners
there is GST (VAT) on everything
you have to pay for the dentist, the doctor, operations, prescriptions, etc
granted childcare is cheap but the actual baisc economics of it are often so bleak that not just are people making their own fun but they are living in the only way they can on the money they make

we live OK but that is because we are both very well qualified professionals - however not having disposable income and not saving anything for long periods of time seems rather worrying.....

love NZ and wouldn't go back unless we had to but that might turn out to be the final result.

good luck to all in their research and plans :thumbup:

Perry Groves Oct 10th 2009 8:10 pm

We are skint here, so won't be much change. The NHS has not impressed at times, and as for dentistry......I just wish there was a vote on here, those who are better or not better off let us know.

Psychopandy Oct 10th 2009 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 8006623)
We are skint here, so won't be much change. The NHS has not impressed at times, and as for dentistry......I just wish there was a vote on here, those who are better or not better off let us know.

Now that would be a whole other thread of its own eh?

:p

BEVS Oct 10th 2009 9:40 pm

By that, do you mean solely financially?
As in less disposable income , less ability to save etc.

For the above, we are considerably worse off.

love30stm Oct 10th 2009 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8006717)
By that, do you mean solely financially?
As in less disposable income , less ability to save etc.

For the above, we are considerably worse off.

in agreement with you Bev, the same! :unsure:

Genesis Oct 11th 2009 12:08 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 8004865)
I once sat down and did the calculation for how much we have "lost" coming here and the results were not pretty. But it was a great move for us and taking the hit for a few years will allow the kids to grow, other issues to straighten out and us to gain some great life experience. Hopefully, even if it turns into a financial disaster we will be able to say that we gave it a go and took lots out of our time as ExPats.
But I do feel your pain and wish you and yours the very best for getting by in NZ.......:fingerscrossed:

Hi, you bring up one of the most important issues there is in this emigration game...finances. I would not recommend to anyone to have a go unless they knew or atleast had a good idea of what's ahead money wise. Sometimes you can actually work out how you will fare before you leave. Other times even with the best calculations you find that after being here for a while like the OP that its not as easy as it may have looked to balance the books.

I am utterly amazed about what we get through each month, mind you i was equally amazed in the UK too. I think the only way you can really beat the finance thing is to be as mortgage free as possible. I personally don't find life here as expensive as some and we do not have a HUGE income, bearing in mind there's five of us I'd call our yearly income simply okay.

But its the most important caveat there is....money money money. Make sure you have enough to make it work. Being finacially stressed is one of the worst things outside of death that a family has to get through. Good post and very timely in these days of majorly crappy exchnge rates. I would not move to NZ if it meant I was on the bones of my arse...not suggesting the OP is by the way.

CAN2NZ Oct 11th 2009 3:38 am

I read this thread today, and was sure I had seen the starting post before. I agree with so much that has been written. When emigrating you must have a good financial position. We have enjoyed the three years we have been here, but in total we are down in the region of almost $100,000 since we left to start here. That is a great deal of money. We will finish at the other end of life worse off to the tune of a seven figure number. It should work out for us in the end (assuming I find a replacement job now before our money runs out) though once my wife starts working.

I think someone put it right and it applies to any location you live in. You must have a profession. If you are a professional, you will do ok in any market place. Then it is only a relative comparison of how much you make and have left over in each spot, but you will have enough.

I like living here. I have been speaking with mom on the Skype and I don't think I would like the traffic at home at all.

Charismatic Oct 11th 2009 4:04 am

I agree with you all.

The real quality of living here seems to have actually fallen since I first moved here six years ago. There is a good reason why, at any one time, almost 15% of the New Zealand population lives in Australia.

My advice to all immigrants would be to get yourself financially sorted out beforehand so you don't need to rely on an income here. I'm still optimistic about New Zealands future but not the immediate financial future. Real economic growth is glacial and the government have taken the same position the last took in an inert state on economic stimulation.

In my view (which probably discredits anything said after it) for an individual to live a reasonable lifestyle here with all the normal furnishing a professional would expect he or she would have to earn a six figure salary. I often wonder how normal folk with families cope.

lardyl Oct 11th 2009 4:18 am

you know my answer - we are better off as a family and people but way off the mark financially.....................
the number of people I worked with and alongside in the UK who's marriages did not last was very worrying - it is likely that our family relationships would have taken some hammer over in UK but they also take a beating as immigrants - someone could look up the stats but I hear they are very bad for immigrants.....

P2L Oct 11th 2009 4:19 am

My Dh earns an above average wage by Kiwi standards but struggle from payday to payday, to the point that I have now gone back to work fulltime, which has enhanced our situation considerably. Coupled with the fact we have a 15 year old and some great friends, I'm pretty lucky that I don't have to fork out for childcare.

However, compared to the UK we are still better off in the fact that we don't have credit cards or HP and only have a LARGE mortgage (as of next month :eek:) as far as loans go, but even that is actually not any more than the rent we are currently paying on someone elses house.

The plus side is that we don't have to drive 3 hours a day to get to work, and the stress that goes with our jobs doesn't seem to overflow into our hometime unlike the UK and we both have great bosses who appreciate the importance of family.

Would I go back? Not any time soon. Would I have done things differently? YES! More money for a start and probably upgraded our qualifications and job positions BEFORE coming here. However that said, in the long term, all those things will still happen here if we stick at it.

Jan n Neil Oct 11th 2009 6:16 am

Financially we are about the same I lost a lot of salary coming here but Jan gained the main thing here is we have a 20 commute instead of 3 hours plus we now have time for each other and have our weekends back. It is working out for us but it is definatly not an easy option :thumbup:

Neil

Budawang Oct 11th 2009 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8007117)
I agree with you all.

The real quality of living here seems to have actually fallen since I first moved here six years ago. There is a good reason why, at any one time, almost 15% of the New Zealand population lives in Australia.

My advice to all immigrants would be to get yourself financially sorted out beforehand so you don't need to rely on an income here. I'm still optimistic about New Zealands future but not the immediate financial future. Real economic growth is glacial and the government have taken the same position the last took in an inert state on economic stimulation.

In my view (which probably discredits anything said after it) for an individual to live a reasonable lifestyle here with all the normal furnishing a professional would expect he or she would have to earn a six figure salary. I often wonder how normal folk with families cope.

I agree with this. I would only contemplate moving to NZ if I could buy a house outright - no (or minimal) mortgage.

What struck me in NZ is that it is dominated by foreign companies (mostly Australian) and it's very much a "branch office economy". On the other hand there are lots of small businesses - Kiwis are clearly an entrepreneurial lot. Where I see real potential for NZ is if the government can create the right environment for these small business to move into the big league. I was very surprised at the high quality of goods and services being provided by some of these small businesses, but they would need help to get over the export hurdle.

janek Oct 11th 2009 6:56 am

Originally Posted by PaulC34 (Post 8006071)

I certainly hope there are not people out there whom would move to a country based on a film or a glossy brochure, we don't need those types of immigrants, and your idea of 'having a long hard think' is a very good one......

luvwelly Oct 11th 2009 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8007265)
Financially we are about the same I lost a lot of salary coming here but Jan gained the main thing here is we have a 20 commute instead of 3 hours plus we now have time for each other and have our weekends back. It is working out for us but it is definatly not an easy option :thumbup:

Neil

I think if you end up with the equivalent of the same disposable income or more then it can work out fine. A shorter commute is indeed an immeasurable quality of life gain for many people.
Good luck :)

janek Oct 11th 2009 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Budawang (Post 8007282)
I agree with this. I would only contemplate moving to NZ if I could buy a house outright - no (or minimal) mortgage.

What struck me in NZ is that it is dominated by foreign companies (mostly Australian) and it's very much a "branch office economy". On the other hand there are lots of small businesses - Kiwis are clearly an entrepreneurial lot. Where I see real potential for NZ is if the government can create the right environment for these small business to move into the big league. I was very surprised at the high quality of goods and services being provided by some of these small businesses, but they would need help to get over the export hurdle.

yes entrepreneurial is the key, that's where the future lies, a previous poster mentioned being a 'professional' which would put one into a higher income bracket, but if the person/immigrant is an entrepreneurial type then there is untold opportunity in this country, just ask all those Australians that have opened up here.
If you've got a good idea and you put 110% into it, things will go from strength to strength.

janek Oct 11th 2009 7:12 am

BTW Budawang the Hop goods restaurant you dined at here in Nelson is owned by a Brit, he has made himself very successful in this town, I can' t tell you if his success is down to being British or not but he came out here about 4 years ago and dug his heels in; provided a point of difference and now he has gained himself a prized reputation.

Tomsk Oct 11th 2009 7:28 am

I love NZ, and have a good life here and overall it's very rare to hear me seriously complain about anything in this country. But I've just had to go back to work full time, I'd managed to work part time from my first maternity leave....and that was well nigh 18 years ago now, but in order to have the extras to be able to enjoy life & do nice things rather than simply make ends meet going back to full time work was a necessity rather than a choice.

I love the NZ countryside, the free beaches, mountains & walks, and of course there are heaps of touristy things to do in Rotorua that are free (or heavily discounted) for locals, which is great, but I'm also a little unhappy about the amount of annual leave...4 weeks as a standard, I'm forced to take some of that over the Christmas-New Year period, and my Mum's coming over in February, so 1 week off at Christmas, 2 weeks with my Mum in Feb....leaves me a scant week to visit elsewhere in NZ or Oz. To think that I used to have 6 weeks in the UK & could jet off to Europe at the drop of a hat.

And don't get me started on NZ Police pay & conditions....WHAT do you mean, no overtime:eek:. Hubby is employed by them, and this past week he's been working on a murder, a suicide & several rapes.....the hours he's put in are inhuman, seriously, the man does need to sleep occasionally you know....and he hasn't earned a cent in overtime...'tis all for the love of the job don't you know :sneaky:. After working several (I forget how many, but a fair few) extra hours he can eventually start to accumulate time of in lieu, but only an hour back for an hour worked. It's really not good :thumbdown:.

But we were lucky enough to have some capital from an English house sale, enough to make mortgage repayments manageable, so we're definitely in the camp of the lucky ones, and we do love the lifestyle & the wide open spaces, the bush & the beaches, and of course our friends both ex-pat & kiwi, so we're definitely in the not going back any time soon brigade.

Still I'd suggest that those dreaming of a life in NZ, it's great over here, it really, truly is, but it ain't cheap, pay & conditions are dreadful, and the average salary gets eaten up pretty darned fast simply by ordinary, everyday living expenses :eek:. Do your sums first and come over with realistic expectations.

dannigirl Oct 11th 2009 8:48 am

Very thought provoking thread. I find it really fascinating to hear all the personal experiences.

It sure should be a reality check to people thinking of moving over. The cost of living calculator (think there is a link somewhere) has been an excellent indicator for me of how much money hubby and I will need to earn. I put in all my details and compared it to some friends who are living in Welly and it was spot on in terms of costings etc. It has really made us realise high living costs and how much we need to take with us from the UK to soften the blow.

We have thought long and hard about moving, and even as two well qualified professionals we are apprehensive about our financial prospects. We have realised that our standard of living (quality of housing, quality of car, ability to travel frequently, financial earning power etc) will decrease but we are sure our quality of life (commute, better access to beaches/parks etc, less people, more community activity, sports, lifestyle) will increase.

I am a returning kiwi so my view is obviously skewed about moving back to my homecountry, but if I reversed the situation and was thinking about moving to a country where I would be struggling financially (obviously that is a different level for different people) and where I would have little family support I would have to say the benefits would have to be HUGE to make the move worthwhile.

BEVS Oct 11th 2009 9:38 am

Originally Posted by janek (Post 8007323)
BTW Budawang the Hop goods restaurant you dined at here in Nelson is owned by a Brit, he has made himself very successful in this town, I can' t tell you if his success is down to being British or not but he came out here about 4 years ago and dug his heels in; provided a point of difference and now he has gained himself a prized reputation.

Really. We have never heard of him. I asked a few couples e met with this evening & they didn't know either. Maybe we can't afford :p How did he emigrate and by that I mean which visa policy did he use to arrive here and on top of that, I would be interested to know what funds he had at his disposal to do this?

Matewx Oct 11th 2009 9:50 am

Hmmm Am not in the right frame of mind to read this thread tonight but will do tomorrow or soon!!

Food for thought!

Paula2007 Oct 11th 2009 10:54 am

Hope we can survive when we finally get there - after reading all of the posts above!! We will be two pensioners from the UK - retiring to New Zealand to be with our children and grandchildren.

We will be able to buy a house outright as we have finished our 25 year morgage. Phew - but we feel that we are just 'existing' in the UK waiting for the months to tick by as we wait for our Parent Visas to be processed. To us this is just not 'living' for us in the true sense of the word, we are a very close family and we will try with all our might when we get there - to live and eat well!! (I can see a veggie plot looming in the garden)!! Hotpot in the oven, home baking starting all over again - I did it once when I had no money in the UK when my children were little and I will do it again in NZ.

I must admit though, our son is on a salary which converted to the UK would be deemed 'low' by UK standards and I don't know how he and his Kiwi wife and young children manage but somehow they do and seem very happy. They have bought a little house with a million dollar view of The Mount in Tauranga - and that can be gazed at from their deck - for nothing - they always seem to have 'get togethers in their house' which I find very sociable and a mix of all ages - everyone brings a few beers and a 'plate' of food. Coversation costs nothing.

In the UK most people always seem to want to go out for their entertainment in the evenings and weekends - why don't they all start adopting the Kiwi lifestyle of 'house visiting' and taking it in turns each weekend to meet up on the beach or park, have a game of rounders or cricket with their friends and then back to someones house for a chat?

The New Zealanders to me, do not seem as materialistic as the British - there are loads of people driving around in cars 10 years old or more and they don't seem to try and keep up with the Jones like I think a lot of people in the UK do. This is very refreshing. I am going to give it a go, you only live once and life is too short to wonder '"what if". Good luck to everyone thinking about moving.:thumbsup:

LukeandJo Oct 11th 2009 11:23 am

A very important thread which needs close attention.
I can't help but notice the majority of posts here are from people with children.

Would you agree that having children is a big financial burden, and is only exaggerated by the cost of living in NZ.

What about views and opinions from people living in NZ without children, who are professionals, who both work full time.

It's a difficult one to measure as peoples circumstances are different throughout. I feel that its a case of adapting, there will be sacrifices for gains and that happens in any country you live and work in.

For me; its the opportunities that are pulling me into the country. To have a skill in a future growth area is a massive plus and will hopefully come with many opportunities. In the UK I work in a saturated underpaid market. The otherside of the world its a skill shortage!

Justcol Oct 11th 2009 11:54 am

why do you think so many kiwis drive 10 yr old cars.

Here you are simply confirming what i said in the original post

"I did it once when I had no money in the UK when my children were little and I will do it again in NZ.
"
If being close to your family will bring you happiness thats a good reason for coming over,
However i would hate to think that i had worked hard all my life only to end up
eating win the war pie and cutting corners to survive.

a little house with a million dollar view of The Mount in Tauranga - and that can be gazed at from their deck - for nothing -
they always seem to have 'get togethers in their house' which I find very sociable and a mix of all ages -
everyone brings a few beers and a 'plate' of food. Coversation costs nothing.

As i said nice views dont the bills, nice views are ten a penny down here, you can hardly
drive for 5 minutes without saying "Ooooo look at that"
I didnt mention any issues with our social life and freinds, we have a bigger and
closer circle of freinds after only 16 months down here than we had after 45 years in the UK.
One reason people "visit" so much is because there are hardly any pubs down here and those that there are
close very early (8pm and they are dead) as they are empty.
There are many reasons for making the move each just as valid as the next, i was
simply pointing out that people can and do get so wrapped up in the pretty views
and "only an hour from the beach" thing (anywhere in the uk is an hour from the beach)
that they ignore the sometimes very harsh realities of life in NZ.
From what i am lead to believe your pensions will be frozen at the level they are at
when you finally leave the uk. if you live another 30 years will that be enough to survive on
or will you have to do what huge numbers of kiwis do and conitue work way past retirement age
not because they want to but because they have to.

Please dont think i'm having a go, or that i am bitter and want to return to the uk.
I just wanted to let off steam because the situation we're in can be very frustrating at times.

Perry Groves Oct 11th 2009 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by LukeandJo (Post 8007712)
A very important thread which needs close attention.
I can't help but notice the majority of posts here are from people with children.

Would you agree that having children is a big financial burden, and is only exaggerated by the cost of living in NZ.

What about views and opinions from people living in NZ without children, who are professionals, who both work full time.

It's a difficult one to measure as peoples circumstances are different throughout. I feel that its a case of adapting, there will be sacrifices for gains and that happens in any country you live and work in.

For me; its the opportunities that are pulling me into the country. To have a skill in a future growth area is a massive plus and will hopefully come with many opportunities. In the UK I work in a saturated underpaid market. The otherside of the world its a skill shortage!

I work in a skill shortage job that has possibilities for finding work here but can't find work over in NZ as I am here, I find that a bit frustrating at the moment !

Paula2007 Oct 11th 2009 4:32 pm

I know that our State pensions are frozen the day we leave the UK - which I think is really unfair as we have both paid into it - my husband for 40 years and me not too far behind. It depends which country you move to as to whether or not you get the paltry increases - although this is being challenged in the Courts at the moment with a ruling coming out next year. We have both worked for over 40 years so have paid into a private pension too - which will help us to survive.

We have looked into the utility bills and know that they will be cheaper in New Zealand for us than in the cold North of England in the winter. Our Council Tax is nearly £1500 per year in the UK and going up. We can only compare our childrens utility bills in NZ with ours in the UK and we will be better off - we will not be working in NZ. Thats just how it works out for us - everyone is different.