Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Washing machines - front loader v top loader

Washing machines - front loader v top loader

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:36 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Washing machines - front loader v top loader

I looked at the prices when I was totting up the value of our stuff for shipping insurance. They're not cheap by any means, but if you write off the cost over say 10-20 years they start to look more reasonable.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

We have a front loader, a Bosch. I really like it. It uses a third of the water of a top loader and heats its own water. It spins at up to 120 rpm. The polar fleeces are practically dry when I take them out to the line. It is a 6.5 kg machine and seems to be big enough for us and our three kids between 6 and 11. I do the laundry regularly all week long, so the size doesn't get in the way.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:44 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The little (about the size of a small fridge) NEC top loader we rented used 110 litres of water per wash. No wonder there are water shortages here!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:18 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
We have a front loader, a Bosch. I really like it. It uses a third of the water of a top loader and heats its own water. It spins at up to 120 rpm. .....
ours spins at 78rpm and plays Glenn Miller.......
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I swear, hand on heart, I have never had a problem with my top loader. I think people pack them up to the top and that's what causes the problems - you need to leave about 20cm space between the clothes and the top to give them room to move around safely.
I agree - I got worse results in Europe with front loaders because I used to overload them all the time whereas my top loader is so big I almost never overfill it.

How old the machine is may make a difference too. The one in my rental is a newish F&P. My only real objection to them is the lack of a child safety lock.

OR maybe we all go round looking like we are wearing rags and no-one has had the heart to tell me????
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I've bought a new Bosh front loader to bring to NZ and my 3 year old Hoover washing machine was going to a friend who now, with only 4 days to shipping day, tells me that she no longer needs it! Shall I take a chance and disguise it as a dishwasher and ship it (to sell)?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you need to disguise it? You'd probably be able to sell it on Trademe.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Why do you need to disguise it? You'd probably be able to sell it on Trademe.
Cos I thought you could only bring 1 of each large item... won't customs try to charge me GST or something daft if they think I will bring in stuff to sell?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

No idea - mine was a corporate move - we were allowed to bring whatever we liked bar the pine cones on the artificial Christmas Tree!

The only thing I had to pay extra tax on was some brand new flatpacked furniture - I thought you could put any used goods you liked in your container. Someone else will know.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:40 am
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I've bought a new Bosh front loader to bring to NZ and my 3 year old Hoover washing machine was going to a friend who now, with only 4 days to shipping day, tells me that she no longer needs it! Shall I take a chance and disguise it as a dishwasher and ship it (to sell)?
I have had a bosch washer for 5 years now and wouldn't part with it.

The difference between front loaders and top are:-

the top loader holds the dirt at the bottom of the machine, as it spins vertically and dirt is heavy it sinks to the bottom so the lower lot of clothes are basically washed in dirtier water.

The front loader circulates horizontally therefore the dirt from the clothes is evenly distributed, in addition the drum is also slightly higher then the lowest level of the water so any 'heavier dirt' doesn't/shouldn't touch the clothes in the same way a top loader does.

I researched and subscribed to 'which.com' when i bought mine and bosch came out the best albeit that was 5 years ago.

yep top loader = 'loader' (load of)wet dirty clothes

Hope this helps, good luck but also consider how much spare parts may cost if you need them but if you get a good make with a good guarantee you should be ok.

Jo

Last edited by JoB; Jan 24th 2008 at 11:43 am. Reason: usual typos and bad grammer
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Bring it.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:22 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Front loader every time- you only need to start comparing the water usage of the top and front and electric consumption to see which is best. Also I found top loaders didn't so much wash as rinse clothes.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Bring it.
LOL Anybody wanna buy a 3 year old Hoover front loader?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Front loader every time- you only need to start comparing the water usage of the top and front and electric consumption to see which is best. Also I found top loaders didn't so much wash as rinse clothes.
Agreed. I used a top loader for 2 yrs when we first moved to the US. I swore when we moved out of the rental I would never buy one. They don't clean the clothes anywhere like a top loader does. Also the agitator ruins clothes...I had loads of lint on the clothes...something I have never experienced using a front loader.

My best friend in the UK bought a top loader a few years ago...she now agrees it's one of the worst purchases she's ever made.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I like the toploader, so far. No more bending down , important for tall people !
I haven't noticed any problems with clothes, seems to be same quality of wash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.