British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Washing machines - front loader v top loader (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/washing-machines-front-loader-v-top-loader-508145/)

CCGM.IN.NZ Jan 22nd 2008 8:00 am

Washing machines - front loader v top loader

Would like some opinions please. We will be moving to another rental house soon and the front loader I use now came with the house. So, we need to look at getting a new machine. Not sure what to go for. The only top loaders I used where in the Florida villas we have stayed in on holiday and I thought they were good. Have always had a front loader at home. Just like to know what you lot think, front loader or top loader. Thanks.

garryhg Jan 22nd 2008 8:22 am

Re: Washing machines - front loader v top loader

Originally Posted by CCGM.IN.NZ (Post 5822537)
Would like some opinions please. We will be moving to another rental house soon and the front loader I use now came with the house. So, we need to look at getting a new machine. Not sure what to go for. The only top loaders I used where in the Florida villas we have stayed in on holiday and I thought they were good. Have always had a front loader at home. Just like to know what you lot think, front loader or top loader. Thanks.

hi carol,have you found another house then.....

i would definitely get a front loader,we have a F&P top loader,and it ruins your clothes.......everything goes out of shape......jacky

karonious Jan 22nd 2008 8:34 am

No 2 ways about it. Definitely go for a front loader. we hired a top loader for 2 months when we first arrived and used a top-loader in the acomodation the hosptial provided prior to that. In my opinion a top-loader shreds everything that is put in it. It leaves the threads that it has torn off on articles that have survived unscathed. I would never buy a top loader. It just seems to be so harsh on the washing. Don't forget if you buy a front-loader to buy a front-loader detergent as well :cool:

Maz Jan 22nd 2008 9:04 am

To coin a phrase from the US, top loaders suck ass. They destroy clothes and use all the water and power they can lap up.

Front loader every time.

CCGM.IN.NZ Jan 22nd 2008 9:08 am

Looks like it could be a front loader then. I feel a shopping trip coming on! Thanks guys:thumbup:

SarahB Jan 22nd 2008 9:44 am

I have a top loader here. Its harsh on the clothes and they soon go out of shape. The cycles are quick and its good you can pop things in when its already started but cant really see us getting another top loader when this one dies.

BEVS Jan 22nd 2008 9:47 am

Mate.... it's got to be a front loader every time, if you want to keep your dignity and not end up wearing rags and dishcloths.

lardyl Jan 22nd 2008 10:15 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5822944)
Mate.... it's got to be a front loader every time, if you want to keep your dignity and not end up wearing rags and dishcloths.

plus they eat up the water and do not get clothes clean (the only way to complete the cycle for lights is on the line in full sun and then the darks just fade .........)
I must say that the F&P ad where the silly woman was loading each individual item from the front loader into her basket on top just took the biscuit for me......sign of a really desperate rear-guard action on their part :D
And yes I used to do all the washing, I still do all the shopping - and using the front loader with the local town water here is great, far less detergent than in UK and far far less than with ye olde F&P top loader we had to suffer in the first rental!

gina and danny Jan 22nd 2008 10:44 am

we used a top loader on holiday and not only did it ruin our clothes it also must have been magic because i put an all white wash in and the clothes came out with grey patches all over them!!:huh: i was told by a friend that its the washing powder and the way the clothes lie on top of each other in the top loader,so i will defo steer well clear in future!!

Maz Jan 22nd 2008 10:54 am

I think I need to e-mail all the companies that still sell top-loaders and ask "WHY????????" :)

dlmckay Jan 22nd 2008 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5823057)
I must say that the F&P ad where the silly woman was loading each individual item from the front loader into her basket on top just took the biscuit for me......sign of a really desperate rear-guard action on their part :D

That made me chuckle too... makes me shout "put the washing basket on the floor in front of the door, you dopey mare!" :rofl:

lapsed kiwi Jan 22nd 2008 5:17 pm

I think they must be easier and cheaper to make - the door seal and associated locking devices must be quite an expensive bit of engineering if you're trying to trim margins and compete with far-east manufacturers.

TeamEmbo Jan 22nd 2008 7:38 pm

I actually quite liked the top loader we were lent when we got here, but then I was grateful to have any kind of white appliance! It was a F&P machine and it had a digital display panel on top and all sorts of different time/water/energy saving programmes. I liked that, the speed it washed and the fact that I could get so much stuff in one load, and add that dropped sock after the programme had started. It seemed to wash most stuff ok. Although some clothes came out with those weird grey marks and it couldn't cope with getting OHs work jeans clean.
Our container came and our front loader washing machine was one of the first things OH got installed. For washing capabilities it is far better, but I do miss the sheer size of what you get into the top loading ones.

Oh and I did make the mistake of putting a load in the front loader and using top loader washing powder. BIG MISTAKE!!! Unless of course you like zillions of bubbles ozzing out of every possible escape route of the machine and filling your laundry room! :rofl:

irnbru14 Jan 22nd 2008 9:04 pm

Top loaders went out of fashion in the UK about 20 years ago now, I do recall my grandparents still having one when I was young, but its about time NZ caught up a bit here!!!

The other thing that surprised me was hifi systems still with cassette decks in them, even some of the new ones with USB inputs etc...

lardyl Jan 22nd 2008 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 5825188)
...Oh and I did make the mistake of putting a load in the front loader and using top loader washing powder. BIG MISTAKE!!! Unless of course you like zillions of bubbles ozzing out of every possible escape route of the machine and filling your laundry room! :rofl:

slightly OT - does anyone know where you can get the Persil front loading *sensitive* powder in bulk? Seen all the other stuff in bags and tubs but only 1.5kg boxes for the stuff MrsL and the kids need........:(