Vegetarians

Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future
Default Vegetarians

Can anyone tell me what it's like if you are vegetarian in NZ. Will I starve??
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:30 pm
Damages

Default Re: Vegetarians

Originally Posted by Billie
Funny you should ask that. When I moved to UK from Oz I was a vegetarian (There were loads of us in Oz) and I had real problems when returning to Britain (1979). Being a veggie was very controversial and I was forever being challenged by aggresive carnivores who would, on receiving news of my diet, tell me very angrily " I like my meat " , as if I had laid down some fundamental challenge to the Pommy way of life.

Since NZ has ( I assume) many of the more liberal and progressive attitudes of the region, I would guess that it is fine to be a veggie. (as long as you have a bit of lamb with it!! )

I happen to know that you will be quite safe from the threat of gravy granules!

Regards

Ali

Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billie
I don't know what part you are going to but there are some places in Christchurch.

http://www.happycow.net/australia/ne.../christchurch/

If you do a google for the areas you are going to it might help.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 5:19 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

There's plenty of excellent choice of fruit and veg in the supermarkets though sometimes a bit pricey. I don't think you'll find anything like so many ready prepared veggie dishes in the frozen section as in the UK.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough

I holidayed in NZ in Jan for a month and although I am not vegetarian, I did check out the restaurants/cafes etc for veggie dishes (habit as most of my friends are!). You don't have such a large selection or choice in some places to eat, the meals tend to be all with meat, but there was always 1 or 2 veggie options. Didn't see any veggie only restaurants though. Put it this way, you won't starve if you go out and with an abundance of fruit and veg, you can cater for yourself okay.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:57 pm
Damages

Originally Posted by Sally
I holidayed in NZ in Jan for a month and although I am not vegetarian, I did check out the restaurants/cafes etc for veggie dishes (habit as most of my friends are!). You don't have such a large selection or choice in some places to eat, the meals tend to be all with meat, but there was always 1 or 2 veggie options. Didn't see any veggie only restaurants though. Put it this way, you won't starve if you go out and with an abundance of fruit and veg, you can cater for yourself okay.

If they don't have too many Veggie restaurants in NZ, wouldn't that be an interesting market opportunity for some enterprising individual?

Hmmmmmmm!!!!!

Food for Thought

Cheers

Ali

P.S. Just be thankful you're not going to Africa (my mum's Kenyan). They wouldn't tolerate vegetarianism there, if it moves, and doesn't work, eat it!!

Phyllis

Old Apr 28th 2005, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sally

I am almost veggie (married to a farmers son so its hard when going to see the inlaws!!) but have never found it hard to get great food in christchurch. I have to say I am going to miss the wonderful Kiwi cafe food. Its the best I have ever had (other than in some places in the USA). The Cup, on Cashmere hill does the BEST veggie stuff and its so fresh and the place has breathtaking views over the city to the mountains. Great coffee too.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I don't know what part you are going to but there are some places in Christchurch.

http://www.happycow.net/australia/ne.../christchurch/

If you do a google for the areas you are going to it might help.
That's great- I am moving to Christchurch!! Love the name of the website. Great tip- many many thanks. Will check them out- each one of course- in July.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Don
There's plenty of excellent choice of fruit and veg in the supermarkets though sometimes a bit pricey. I don't think you'll find anything like so many ready prepared veggie dishes in the frozen section as in the UK.
Oh help! No frozen readdies...I WILL starve!!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Damages
If they don't have too many Veggie restaurants in NZ, wouldn't that be an interesting market opportunity for some enterprising individual?

Hmmmmmmm!!!!!

Food for Thought

Cheers

Ali

P.S. Just be thankful you're not going to Africa (my mum's Kenyan). They wouldn't tolerate vegetarianism there, if it moves, and doesn't work, eat it!!

Phyllis
It does sound very enterprising for some individual out there just not ME! I'm strictly of the can't cook/ won't cook and don't want to learn how to cook variety!! I wouldn't last a day just serving teas (even herbal ones).
Sounds definitely like I shouldn't be going to Africa- as I move but try to do as little work as possible- I probably wouldn't last a day there either before I'd be in the cooking pot!!!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cassa
I am almost veggie (married to a farmers son so its hard when going to see the inlaws!!) but have never found it hard to get great food in christchurch. I have to say I am going to miss the wonderful Kiwi cafe food. Its the best I have ever had (other than in some places in the USA). The Cup, on Cashmere hill does the BEST veggie stuff and its so fresh and the place has breathtaking views over the city to the mountains. Great coffee too.
Cheers for the tip. I will make The Cup my local. Great to have feedback- saves me all the legwork...more time for sitting admiring the views with that coffee and good grub. Many thanks.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:44 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

No worries re eating vegetarian in Christchurch. There are a lot of eateries offering good vegetarian dishes. Not one myself but always loved having a break from the usual meat dishes & can tell you that The Dux de Lux situated near The Art Centre offers a good range of vegetarian meals & is a popular place to eat. Great entertainment there too so Id put that one on your list of places to try too!