Veganism

Old Jun 13th 2012, 6:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Veganism

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
interestingly none of my veggie mates have ever cooked me a nice lump of dead animal.....
I know, it's jolly rude of them .

I have a friend who does bring her own stuff to eat on many an occasion, bless her. I feel rather bad about it, but veggie food doesn't get me excited.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

James Baker is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your replies on this, it has been quite reassuring. we will be based in hamilton so being a larger city should have a better chance of getting decent products.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
OP: you can find all manner of plant milks here, along with tofu and tempeh and some tofu-based prepared food (sausages, ham etc). Vegan cheese and yoghurt are widely available in supermarkets etc, as are tinned pulses and there are lots of health and ethnic stores for nuts, seeds, ground linseed, dried pulses etc, etc as well as a lot of dairy free sweet treats available in super markets (Sweet William chocolate and 'free from' products etc). BUT you'll have a very different time of it in the smaller country towns than in the cities- so I hope you're heading somewhere sizable.
All that you have written above is available in our wee township of Motueka so not too tough to find & not confined to the greater townships or cities. I think awareness of gluten intolerance has helped with this. That and more people wanting to buy the above goods.

JB has visited NZ and has family here. I'm sure he knows what is and is not available TBH.

I'll also say that most people know how to cook without meat & diary these days what with exposure to Thai, Chinese, Indian and Malaysian cooking so it doesn't mean a 'roast' with no meat .

I'd rather imagine most folks who know those that don't eat meat , dairy or fish can knock up something quite good unless they can't be bothered of course.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:27 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about it getting easier to be veggie/ vegan here partly because of the increasing 'special diet' foods- I remember when we came out and couldn't really find ice cream or yoghurt without gelatine in. Mind you, I eat it now anyway!

I also agree some basic provisions are available everywhere- you can get soy milk in BP coffee anywhere, for example- but it remains true that you've got a wider selection in the cities and perhaps also in the more 'alternative'/ artsy communities (I'd include your gorgeous neck of the woods in that description, BEVS).

Hamilton will be totally fine- you'll soon find what you want/ need.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
(I'd include your gorgeous neck of the woods in that description, BEVS).
I agree with you BB.

... and BB

Spoiler:
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'll also say that most people know how to cook without meat & diary these days what with exposure to Thai, Chinese, Indian and Malaysian cooking so it doesn't mean a 'roast' with no meat .
Would almost be impossible to cook true Thai for a vegan though, or even vegetarians. I struggle to think what they cook without fish sauce, similar for Vietnamese cooking.