US to NZ

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 3:56 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default US to NZ

I've noticed a few more people on this forum recently who are thinking about moving from the US to NZ, or have done the reverse.

Anyone who's done this, would you care to comment on your experiences?

A bit of a broad question, I know, but I'm a tad concerned I've started getting comfy here, despite the awful weather (Welly weather sounds divine in comparison to the crap we get in the US Midwest, both hot/humid and cold! ), plus I have a great job.

Hubby's employer, however, is in manufacturing, and they're beginning to not be able to withstand the competition from China, so I might be the only earner in a matter of months...
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 4:01 pm
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US to NZ

That soon hun ? :scared:
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 4:18 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy&georgina
That soon hun ? :scared:
Unfortunately pretty possible! We can last with just my salary (I'm the higher earner by quite a bit) but we really have to tighten our belts a bunch. Also, if we do end up going, we'd have to file before January next year, which is when I hit the big 4-0 and apparently your points get reduced automatically for that. With me being a programmer in IT, we're at 130 points without a job offer, so not bad. I'll be getting - hopefully! - a bunch of interviews lined up for when we're over there, soo.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all

Unfortunately - having previously lived and worked in the U.S. for 4 years - I have to get a criminal check from the FBI for my visa This is the only thing holding up my application - I called them last month after having waited 10 weeks already - and was told they are currently taking 16 weeks! :scared:
If your thinking of applying - and need an FBI criminal check - be warned and get the app of to the FBI early
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:05 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz
I've noticed a few more people on this forum recently who are thinking about moving from the US to NZ, or have done the reverse.

Anyone who's done this, would you care to comment on your experiences?

A bit of a broad question, I know, but I'm a tad concerned I've started getting comfy here, despite the awful weather (Welly weather sounds divine in comparison to the crap we get in the US Midwest, both hot/humid and cold! ), plus I have a great job.

Hubby's employer, however, is in manufacturing, and they're beginning to not be able to withstand the competition from China, so I might be the only earner in a matter of months...

Maz, I wish I could move to the USA, but there is no way I can do it. Pity they don't have an immigrant exchange policy! I would swap my passport for a green card any day.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:28 am
Maz

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
Maz, I wish I could move to the USA, but there is no way I can do it. Pity they don't have an immigrant exchange policy! I would swap my passport for a green card any day.
I have dual UK/US nationality so we could swap passports. It's most certainly not the paradise many make it out to be. It's just harder to get in to, hence why most stay here, or pine for England in despair, once here... I had to get through FBI, Interpol, French police and UK police checks before they'd let me in here. Plus prove I didn't have HIV, had ever had TB (had to have chest x-ray in hand luggage, that was fun) and a whole bevvy of other crap.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:30 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz
I have dual UK/US nationality so we could swap passports. It's most certainly not the paradise many make it out to be. It's just harder to get in to, hence why most stay here, or pine for England in despair, once here... I had to get through FBI, Interpol, French police and UK police checks before they'd let me in here. Plus prove I didn't have HIV, had ever had TB (had to have chest x-ray in hand luggage, that was fun) and a whole bevvy of other crap.
I've been to LA a couple of times for a holiday which I like. I reckon San Fran would be perfect. I've got dual brit/NZ nationality. Meet me under the tree in the park. I'll be wearing a grey mac.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:59 am
Maz

I've been to LA a couple of times for a holiday which I like. I reckon San Fran would be perfect. I've got dual brit/NZ nationality. Meet me under the tree in the park. I'll be wearing a grey mac.
LOL Sounds like you'd be the one getting arrested too. Unfortunately I believe San Fran also has the most expensive real estate in the entire world.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 2:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Maz
LOL Sounds like you'd be the one getting arrested too. Unfortunately I believe San Fran also has the most expensive real estate in the entire world.
what do you do? Aren't you slightly paranoid with all the checks they did? I base my assumption of liking San Fran on watching too many Dirty Harry films. Films in general, im a bit of a dreamer I suppose.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 2:29 am
Maz

what do you do? Aren't you slightly paranoid with all the checks they did? I base my assumption of liking San Fran on watching too many Dirty Harry films. Films in general, im a bit of a dreamer I suppose.
Our gradual but increasing loss of privacy etc. here is one of the big reasons we want to get out of here, actually... the list of banned books is just stupid, for example. Parents are encouraged to get their children fingerprinted, etc. Ugh!

Never been to San Fran - we were going to go in Spring 2001 for a week, but ended up going to Arizona instead (we needed some sun after the long Chicago Winter!) as they were having rolling blackouts due to the power crisis in California at the time.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 3:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Maz
Our gradual but increasing loss of privacy etc. here is one of the big reasons we want to get out of here, actually... the list of banned books is just stupid, for example. Parents are encouraged to get their children fingerprinted, etc. Ugh!

Never been to San Fran - we were going to go in Spring 2001 for a week, but ended up going to Arizona instead (we needed some sun after the long Chicago Winter!) as they were having rolling blackouts due to the power crisis in California at the time.
Well there are books here you can't read either I've never really thought about this much, but I went into the central library and ALL the William Burroughs novels had been removed from the shelf and were behind the librarians desk. I wonder if they are classed as objectionable? Might ask next time im in.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 5:00 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

Maz, we'd just seen Good Night and Good Luck (about Edward G Morrow during the McCarthy era) when you wrote a post on here about loss of privacy in the US. It just blew me away that it is on the scale it is. I do remember years ago (80s) though when some friends of mine went on a 'road trip' and they said that it felt like a police state. C'mon over here girl