Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Newbies saying hello........

Newbies saying hello........

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:21 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Newbies saying hello........

Good day everyone!

This is Stephen and Melissa living in sunny Blenheim. We have been in NZ for nearly three years and wish we had found this site when we first arrived!

I am from Sheffield, Melissa is from Finland. We arrived on visitors permits in Feb 2004 with the intention of getting jobs and trying to get ourselves settled here. Which has been a hard slog , but we went through the process for getting work permits (had to request all the paper work from the UK, what a nightmare!) and then getting our PR last year!

Melissa and I did get married in Fiji on 5th of Nov, 2004.

We lived in Devonport in Auckland for a couple of years, but as soon the ink was dry on our PR's, we quit our jobs and headed south!

So now we have been in Marlborough for six months and it is absolutely the picture of New Zealand we had before we arrived. I got a job in the wine industry and Mel works in the vineyards and helps trains horses in her spare time.

We are also the very proud owners of a house! Which we only just bought in December. (Thank you ANZ and 100% mortgages).

Life in Marlborough is a million miles away from being in Auckland and it has given us the opportunities to live the outdoor lifestyle.

We are both very happy to be here and if anyone is in the area, be great to hook up. We are both in our late 30's, no kids (yet), into diving and fishing and pretty easy going!

Be great to hear from you.

Stephen and Melissa
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:28 pm
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies saying hello........

Hi & Welcome

This site is GREAT and hope you make some good contacts and enjoy the forum like we do.

So nice to read how you are enjoying your lives in NZ sounds wonderful.

Georgina & Andy
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newbies saying hello........

A jolly big welcome and some hello Karma sent.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:22 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

The more the merrier we say

Welcome to you both and Happy New Year.

We're hoping to make the move to Blenheim soon too My OH has a job offer and we're just getting paperwork together for our ITA. We're married with 3 kids.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Perdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
The more the merrier we say

Welcome to you both and Happy New Year.

We're hoping to make the move to Blenheim soon too My OH has a job offer and we're just getting paperwork together for our ITA. We're married with 3 kids.
What are the main industries in Blenheim?
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya and welcome. Sounds like you are doing OK!! We've been here 18 months now and love it. Living in a small seaside village outside Auckland....I'm afraid I hated Auckland and kinda persuaded OH to come and live out here.... it seems a million miles outside Auckland although its not. We have just bought a house here too.... 30 year old villa... plenty of room for us all but needs some modernising. I keep a horse at grass livery and can ride down on the beach which is something I always wanted to do. We are late 30's and just starting our family.... left it a bit late!! I'm having a bay girl next wednesday and we have a 3 year old son too. Good luck with everything!!
SarahB x
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:54 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Wine and Tourism
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:06 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone.

Well Melissa has gone to work out in the vineyards, I have until the 8th before I get stuck back in. Which means I have have to be Mr Fix it and big list of jobs I have to.

Many thanks for your kind words.

Kevin and Sarah, we can not imagine a better place to bring up kids, you guys are going to love it here.

Perdana, yup wine and tourism, there is also a NZ airforce base here, which is a major employer. Apparently there are less then 100,000 people living in the whole of the Marlborough area. The wine idustry is certinaly growing and it is estimated that there will be 50% ore vineyards in Marlborough within the next 5 years (although I am not sure where they will put them!).

Thanks guys, I am off to Mitre 10!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:10 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Stephen & Melissa! Please do post in the pinned "Introductions" thread. Great that you're already nice and settled there. Hubby and I (& daughter) are visiting the NI in April, and passing through Masterton, staying at a vineyard. Can't wait to see that area!

There's a fellow diver on this site, a PADI Instructor, Dave - screen name Paladin. He's been AWOL for a bit though, not sure what's up with that. He's not over in NZ yet, though.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:42 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:24 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Beachcombers;4243955]Good day everyone!

This is Stephen and Melissa living in sunny Blenheim. We have been in NZ for nearly three years and wish we had found this site when we first arrived!

Your names threw me a bit as I am Karen, my husband is Steven and our daughter is Melissa....
Hello and welcome, good to hear of people making the move here and loving the life they have chosen.
Congratulations,
Karen B