Nursing Agency

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

JoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the rough
Default Nursing Agency

Thanks to all for taking time out to reply...In the balance NZ relocation is obviously no trivial thing to consider and one does not want to make the big move only to find that quality of life is not at least as good as what one left behind or why move??.....Have to weigh up the pro's and cons'...I currently work nights in CCU in the South and it works out quite well for us; close shopping & amenities, 10 minute drive to work, 8 min walk to town/village..Obviously the time of the year doesn't make it as smooth sailing as regular when the old folk would rather be in Hospital for the festive part of the year than alone at home!!!but it's all in the game...
From previous reading of postings' it would appear that there are less benefits by way holiday's and pay in NZ,,,can anyone point out some obvious differences between working in NZ or for the NHS...I.e pay, overtime - taxes, promotion prospects etc, or does it vary from area to area?....I have read some articles on Northland and it appears they enjoy quite a mild climate there...I also notice that a number of NZ Nurses leave to work in Australia, is there a particular reason for this?, I mean, given the rough and ready reputation Oz has, from the outside it would appear to be a bit of a culture shock ,,,or does the standard and quality of life justify the move??
As always any spare comments welcome...Thanks and all the best for this year..let's see what a cock-up our world leaders (all 2 of them) can make of it this time...
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:38 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing Agency

Hi Joan,
I did actually reply to this yesterday but somehow I messed up in the sending if it and by the time I realised it hadn't gone through, I was too annoyed with myself to start again. However...
I can only comment on the narrow field of Forensic Mental Health Nursing as I have very little liason with the general hospital.
The main differences for me are staffing levels and the un/qualified ratio. I came from a 12 bedded ward in the UK. From about 4 months of qualifying I would regularly be left in charge of the ward as the only staff nurse, working with 3 HCAs. Here, there are 14 patients and 8 - 10 staff with at least 6 of those staff being qualified. I would imagine promotion would be quicker but I don't know that for a fact as it hasn't been a priority to find out. I feel there is a greater distinction of role here, 'that's not my job so I won't do it' but that may simply be because of the scale of the place. It is a full sized mental health hospital as opposed to the 2 ward unit I worked in before.
I don't know if this helps at all but it does put you back up where someone else might spot it!
Karen B