Urban Addicts

Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:05 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Urban Addicts

Much of New Zealand's economy is based upon primary production, you know - dairy, lamb, beef, fruits for export like apples and the like. Yet, as I go through these pages I rarely see any potential immigrants mention that they are looking to go into the rural sector. There seems to be some sort of disconnect. Everyday I read on these pages that people want to flee the urban blight of uh...Blighty and yet they still want to remain in an urban environment. Would any of you potential immigrants give up your urban life for a new life down on the farm?

I mention this as a couple of days ago my country-raised wife, who grew up with a coconut plantation on one side and the Gulf of Thailand on the other, said she is fed up with the city life and would like to give dairying a try. It got me thinking. Maybe, just maybe...

edit: apologies for the ramble...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:53 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urban Addicts

Originally Posted by happynz
Much of New Zealand's economy is based upon primary production, you know - dairy, lamb, beef, fruits for export like apples and the like. Yet, as I go through these pages I rarely see any potential immigrants mention that they are looking to go into the rural sector. There seems to be some sort of disconnect. Everyday I read on these pages that people want to flee the urban blight of uh...Blighty and yet they still want to remain in an urban environment. Would any of you potential immigrants give up your urban life for a new life down on the farm?

I mention this as a couple of days ago my country-raised wife, who grew up with a coconut plantation on one side and the Gulf of Thailand on the other, said she is fed up with the city life and would like to give dairying a try. It got me thinking. Maybe, just maybe...

edit: apologies for the ramble...
Talking to some expats, espeacily up in Auckland. I would ask what they would dream of the kind of life they would like to have in NZ. Most were along the lines of, "having some land so the kids can run around and it would be great if we could have some kind of living from it, like a orchard etc".

So for some people coming here, they have had some kind of romantic ideal of the kind of rural bliss that NZ has to offer. However, the reality of having to pursue immigration, quite often on the basis of your city slicker career, has put paid to most peoples ambitions.

But I am surprised that the dairy industry does not attract more people, recently there was a TV campaign trying to attract young Kiwi's into the game. But how you would go about it? No idea!

Good luck HappyNZ! If you decide to go for it, keep us informed!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:59 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
But I am surprised that the dairy industry does not attract more people, recently there was a TV campaign trying to attract young Kiwi's into the game. But how you would go about it? No idea!
But surely rural people (in any country) are more wary of outsiders and like to protect their businesses for their 'own'.

Anyone trying to set up a dairy on the South Island would have to watch 'The Wicker Man' a few times just to see what they were getting into. No?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:08 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Avid
But surely rural people (in any country) are more wary of outsiders and like to protect their businesses for their 'own'.
Could be the case, yeah.

Anyone trying to set up a dairy on the South Island would have to watch 'The Wicker Man' a few times just to see what they were getting into. No?
I think the thing that anyone contemplating setting up a dairy unit on the South Island needs is a tolerance for dealing with carrying a large debt. Dairy land doesn't come cheap and the investments in stock and equipment, not to mention labour costs, well, it seems to be quite a punt. The punt seems to be paying off for them this year as dairy prices are through the roof.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:27 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

I'd certainly say that going into business is the only way to make any money in NZ, but I'd guess that going into dairy farming from a standing start wouldn't be for the faint-hearted.

Co-owners with some of the locals would be easier?

Going back to your original question, I've been getting more involved with horses (no sniggering at the back) since coming to NZ and could quite easily fantasize about being involved in the equestrian industry. But the costs involved, the need to gain knowledge as I go along, and the sense that "we don't need your fancy ideas round these parts" are quite large hurdles to jump and I'd probably have to write a 'hilarious' book about the disaster just to try to get some of my money back when it all crashed 3 years down the line....

Last edited by Avid; Jan 28th 2008 at 8:33 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:35 pm

I'd certainly say that going into business is the only way to make any money in NZ, but I'd guess that going into dairy farming from a standing start wouldn't be for the faint-hearted.
I quite agree.

Co-owners with some of the locals would be easier?
I'm new to this and I have just started looking into to it so I am more than happy to be corrected. My understanding is that a lot of folks start off with what is called sharemilking. I believe it where the milker provides the herd, but uses the farmer's land and split profits (50:50) or the milker provides the labour and expertise and shares the profits (40:60) with the farmer.

God, this is exciting stuff.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by happynz
God, this is exciting stuff.
Funnily enough, I know somebody (a Kiwi) who recently bought 20 cows and a bit of land just outside Wellington. I'll ask them what they think about your idea.

To be brutally honest, my main worry about going into partnership with 'the locals' is the fact that I'd be such an easy target for getting ripped-off.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Don't accept invitations to harvest festivals?

Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Is it possible to migrate to NZ as a farm worker?

Would surely only be possible as an actual farmer with a business visa.

There are a few British farmers who have moved to NZ.

Some news stories on TV a few years ago about just how many British farmers have shifted to Canterbury and love it.

Compared farming in the UK, which is over-regulated, with faming in NZ.
And how farmers are despised and were actually spat-upon in the streets back home

(think it was when foot & mouth was about)

Kip
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kippers
Some news stories on TV a few years ago about just how many British farmers have shifted to Canterbury and love it.
With the record milk payouts I'm sure they are diggin' it to the max.

Originally Posted by Kippers
Compared farming in the UK, which is over-regulated, with faming in NZ.
And how farmers are despised and were actually spat-upon in the streets back home

(think it was when foot & mouth was about)

Kip
I can't even conceive of a farmer being spat upon here in New Zealand.