Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:46 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

the crazy left turning rule
taxis from auckland airport (should) charge a flat fare
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:06 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Thanks Maz, couple more:
  • I wish that I had truly understood the visa situation in more detail - so that I would have got the PR application geed up more and be closer to IRRV and being a passport-carrying Kiwi (well the kids anyway....)
  • Oh yeah, that MAF don't always give you a hard time - our moved messed-up and I was worried about the inspection, but the MAF guy was fine - nike bloke....
And that MAF pick out the weirdest things to inspect. With us, it was bookshelves. Not the units themselves, mind, just the shelves that go in them.

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
the crazy left turning rule
taxis from auckland airport (should) charge a flat fare
Oh yeah, the fun with intersections, definitely! Do you call them junctions here, or intersections?

Something else - differences in terminology and phrases. Like "togs" for swimming gear, "jandals" etc.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Some random thoughs:
- When the clocks change for daylight saving
- Option available for mobile phones
- Options available for internet/home phone
- Where to get stuff! Some starter suggestions for supermarkets/stores/electrical, maybe even just a list of suitable company website for newbies to start from, you know such as Briscoes, Harvery Norman, Dick Smith, Warehouse etc
- Introduce Trade Me to people
- Car Buying/WOF etc etc
- Where to get those random things from home, so a list of places you can get UK sweeties, or is that taking away from settling into NZ culture?
- Some basic Maori!
- I do like the idea of a NZ to English phrasebook!!!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 11:18 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
- I do like the idea of a NZ to English phrasebook!!!
I think it's needed... my boss just got back from the US and had a terrible time one day trying to get hotel staff to understand what "togs" are. I'd be pretty useless to start us off on that, can only think of just a couple of examples, as I've been exposed to US English for too long. NZ English seems to be a mish-mash of UK and US English, the words and phrases that are different, that is.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
I think it's needed... my boss just got back from the US and had a terrible time one day trying to get hotel staff to understand what "togs" are. I'd be pretty useless to start us off on that, can only think of just a couple of examples, as I've been exposed to US English for too long. NZ English seems to be a mish-mash of UK and US English, the words and phrases that are different, that is.
Its technical terms at work that confuse me, lots of talking at cross purposes with Kiwis!! The other day I was talking about Joinery, refering to doors, skirting boards and the likes, whereas Joinery here is solely things like wooden tables, chairs, reception desks, furniture etc and I should have been talking about Carpentry!!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:41 am
Maz

Its technical terms at work that confuse me, lots of talking at cross purposes with Kiwis!! The other day I was talking about Joinery, refering to doors, skirting boards and the likes, whereas Joinery here is solely things like wooden tables, chairs, reception desks, furniture etc and I should have been talking about Carpentry!!
Ack! That is confusing! I've come across a bunch, too. Oh, and people like you to "flick" them an e-mail instead of "send".

And here "data" is pronounced with a long first 'a', like "DAR-tuh" instead of what I've always been used to, which is "DAY-tuh".
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:48 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit that the kiwi pronunciation of debut is something I don't think I'll ever pick up...."day-boo" as opposed to "day-byou".
As for basic Maori, my Maori mates aren't in the slightest concerned that I don't speak it, unlike the Alsaciennes I lived with in St Louis. (I can speak French, but they still hated everyone who wasn't local.)
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

I would have said EFPOS and how ther terminals work - it was a bit scary when we first got here on visit and wanted to use our visa card.
We ended up using cash the whole first visit!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:30 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

This whole 'crossed' cheque rigamarole. Huh?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:41 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Who the main utility companies are and their free phone numbers for setting up new accounts.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:41 am
Ed Hunter

Mmmmmmm. Where do I start.

1. Drop in wages from the UK. (I dropped 14,000 pounds per annum. I work
for the NZDF. ex RAF now RNZAF)
2. Cost of Medical Insurance.
3. Un-affordable housing. (Unless you fancy living next to 7 Moiri's or a six
fingered banjo player who sits on his porch with his possum gun)
4. 33% Taxation on overseas income. (My RAF Pension, UK taxed at source,
taxed again in NZ)
(a) To claim Tax exemption or not?
5. COF's, WOF's and RUC's
6. Turning left rule.
7. Overtaking on the inside lane ??
8. Kiwi obsession with Americana.
9. "Warehouse, where everyone gets Matalans left overs".(please sing to the advert tune)
10. Lollies, jandles, togs, Joe break and smoko.
11. Why I couldn't get a bottle of Tui from the "BOTTLE SHOP" at easter
12. Bugs and bighty things
13. Odd looking road kill's.
14. Shortland Street ?? WHY

I could go on for ages. Mind you there are great things to look forward to if you heading to NZ. Watch out for the weather guy pronouncing place names.

Rrrrrrotorrrrua. Cracks me up every time.

Anyhoo, better be off and continue living the dream.

Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:45 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

All Brits working in IT should be warned that 'Router' is pronounced 'R-aow-ter' not 'Rooter'.

Dribble held two meetings with the General Manager and a room of around 60 people who sniggered quietly to themselves* for the duration when he was talking about a customer and their 'router'.

*incorrect pronunciation is translated into sexual innuendo
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:51 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ed Hunter
3. Un-affordable housing. (Unless you fancy living next to 7 Moiri's[sic]
Um...I think you mean Maori, right? That may be useful to know.
8. Kiwi obsession with Americana.
Weird, huh?
Watch out for the weather guy pronouncing place names.
Rrrrrrotorrrrua. Cracks me up every time.
Yeah, it's a scream. Almost as funny as some BBC news presenter slaughtering the pronunciation of Managua, Nicaragua.

Anyhoo, better be off and continue living the dream.
Off you go...

Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Spudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really nice

Ah, Ed.

You made a few valid points there. Do I know you.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:20 am
Ed Hunter

You should do. Were the same person. Go and take your medication and get back to the dishes.

Jog on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.