Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:35 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

Following on from this thread, what would you really have liked to have known when you came to NZ?

Dreamfish suggested knowing the following:
  • How the ambulance service works
  • What those funny grey boxes are kerbside (they're mailboxes)
  • What the emergency number is (111)

I would like to add:
  • When is rubbish collection day and where do you get bins or bags from?
  • How does the ACC work?
  • Where are the emergency centres? (they have a proper name, can't remember it right now)
  • Website links to the various schools
  • Names of the main supermarket chains
  • Names of the main home stores (Bunnings, etc.)
  • Where are the area's major shopping malls?
  • Where are the swimming pools? ('cos there aren't exactly too many to list )
  • What procedures need to be followed when I buy a car - tax, WOF, etc.?
  • What are my rights as a consumer?
  • Which beaches are dogs allowed on?
  • When are the public holidays?

This goes for Hutt Valley, Wellington, and Porirua. I don't honestly think it would take too much effort to pull it all together... what say you?

What would you have liked to have been told when you first got here, that would have helped with settling in, the emotional part as well as the practical part?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:22 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

What the immigration requirements for Australia were.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
What the immigration requirements for Australia were.

You had to start a bun fight
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:41 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm too lazy to go look, but do you two actually post in the Oz forums?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
I'm too lazy to go look, but do you two actually post in the Oz forums?
Yep just have

Why, arnt we allowed to post on here
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:55 am

Yep, me too.

Nz and Oz are secretly the same place anyway - just don't tell the kiwis because they'll want more pay

Sorry to disrupt your thread Maz, which was a very worthy one and if you get some good replies it would merit being condensed into the Wiki or made a sticky.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:58 am
Maz

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Yep just have

Why, arnt we allowed to post on here
Did I say that? NO. Stop trying to bait me, it ain't workin'.

Yep, me too.

Nz and Oz are secretly the same place anyway - just don't tell the kiwis because they'll want more pay
Cheeky!

Sorry to disrupt your thread Maz, which was a very worthy one and if you get some good replies it would merit being condensed into the Wiki or made a sticky.
Yeah it might be good to get a comprehensive guide going.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maz
Did I say that? NO. Stop trying to bait me, it ain't workin'.
Me ........................no
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Maz
Following on from this thread, what would you really have liked to have known when you came to NZ?

Dreamfish suggested knowing the following:
  • How the ambulance service works
  • What those funny grey boxes are kerbside (they're mailboxes)
  • What the emergency number is (111)

I would like to add:
  • When is rubbish collection day and where do you get bins or bags from?
  • How does the ACC work?
  • Where are the emergency centres? (they have a proper name, can't remember it right now)
  • Website links to the various schools
  • Names of the main supermarket chains
  • Names of the main home stores (Bunnings, etc.)
  • Where are the area's major shopping malls?
  • Where are the swimming pools? ('cos there aren't exactly too many to list )
  • What procedures need to be followed when I buy a car - tax, WOF, etc.?
  • What are my rights as a consumer?
  • Which beaches are dogs allowed on?
  • When are the public holidays?

This goes for Hutt Valley, Wellington, and Porirua. I don't honestly think it would take too much effort to pull it all together... what say you?

What would you have liked to have been told when you first got here, that would have helped with settling in, the emotional part as well as the practical part?

I say, put the questions & answers all into the BE Wiki.

It's about time we did better than nothing and took on Canada
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:49 am

ACC was certainly a mystery to me (but then most things were) when we first arrived so I think I did something on healthcare for the Wiki.... once.... long time ago.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maz
[*]Which beaches are dogs allowed on?
Most New Zealand as far as I can remember.

You don't see that many dog's on beaches over here........most of the ladies are very fit
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:41 am
Maz

Me ........................no
Ya right

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I say, put the questions & answers all into the BE Wiki.

It's about time we did better than nothing and took on Canada
Alrighty then! ... I just need to learn how to update it. I honestly do think it would be a good thing for the NZIS to hand out too, though.

ACC was certainly a mystery to me (but then most things were) when we first arrived so I think I did something on healthcare for the Wiki.... once.... long time ago.
I got a really fantastic crash course in what the ACC is and how it works when I met with my local rep for Southern Cross when I signed up with them.

Most New Zealand as far as I can remember.

You don't see that many dog's on beaches over here........most of the ladies are very fit
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:56 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
mmm... along those lines and off the top of my head......
  • recylcling collection times, protocol - you can usually get that from a council addie in the local blue phone directory, although in ChCh they seem to put this on the TV ads.......nice people that they are!
  • who is likely to try to rip me off as a "cashed-up Pomm"
  • where the nearest Citizens Advice Beuraux is - as they can help with all sorts of problems
  • how Work and Income can help me - nice people that they are
  • how to get an IRD no
  • that the Bank needs a letter from your employer to authorise the receipt of wages into a bank account......weird one, eh?
  • how to join Flybuys
  • the tiimes of day I can walk my dog (if I had one) or drive my car on the beach without breaking local byelaws (usually well posted)
Old Mar 29th 2008, 11:03 am
Maz

Good ones about the financial stuff, thanks Ian!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 11:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Maz, couple more:
  • I wish that I had truly understood the visa situation in more detail - so that I would have got the PR application geed up more and be closer to IRRV and being a passport-carrying Kiwi (well the kids anyway....)
  • Oh yeah, that MAF don't always give you a hard time - our moved messed-up and I was worried about the inspection, but the MAF guy was fine - nike bloke....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.